• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan Passover Store

I was just wondering if the Passover Store was open this year. Did anybody get there?

Realizing that the tribe's population in the NY area is what it is - I wonder if this could be successful in other locations..

There was no stand alone store this year. Not sure why.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Perhaps there just wasn't a suitable location. The Passover store concept depends, it would seem, on there being a vacant storefront of a certain size, in a certain range of Upper West Side blocks, at the exact time of Passover, with a landlord willing to rent it out for just a few weeks. Or perhaps whatever organization is behind the Passover store had some sort of issue this year, or they didn't make enough money last year to justify doing it this year. I'd love to know the real story.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd think a concept like this should have made enough money. Running a 'Passover store' in a very small community for the first time this year I could see the potential.

We were discussing this at work throughout the day today.

Did they have frozen and refrigerated items as well as dry goods? That would make it much harder to set up a place than if the store only needed shelving.

You're right though - there are so many reasons why it may not have happened.

Any ideas who ran the store?

I'd think a concept like this should have made enough money.  Running a 'Passover store' in a very small community for the first time this year I could see the potential.

We were discussing this at work throughout the day today.

Did they have frozen and refrigerated items as well as dry goods?    That would make it much harder to set up a place than if the store only needed shelving.

You're right though - there are so many reasons why it may not have happened. 

Any ideas who ran the store?

Pam, the store had both freezer and refrigerator cases in addition to dry goods.

From what I understand, Supersol (one of the local markets) absorbed the Passover store. I don't know if this is a one year thing or permanent.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs