• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Chateau de Beaucastel CNP 1998

Carema

Today, at 2pm my son jumped off the schoolbus and into the arms of his father, who he hadn't seen in three years. How vicious and angry we were back then, and how he has suffered and now we are trying to fix it.

I bought some lamb, because I remembered he liked lamb and later all three of us sat down at the dinner table for the first time in four and half bitter years and had...dinner.

Simple. Potatoes will dill & rosemary, lamb ribs & and raw carrots with balsamic. I opened a few samples of Calabrian wines that I had been given for a tasting then went downstairs, returning with the 1998 Beaucastel, given to me by someone really wonderful.

The Beaucastel is unbelievable a seamless stream of fruit so focused and perfect, balanced with delicate tannins, sweetness and weight. We finished the bottle in about fifteen minutes, and I looked at our little son, so happy to be near his Dad, how much they looked alike and felt a softening of hearts, that first melt of forgiveness...

It still didn't make any of those nasty Calabrian wines any better (and lord know I love Italy) but the Beaucastel is now forever hinged in my memory. We will be able to sit together at graduations and I will be able to call Seattle when that tender heart is adolescent and first broken and it seems that as long as there is lamb and good wine we will submerge all our stupid anger and finally be able to call ourselves parents.

over it

Sounds like a wonderful evening, augmented with a lovely wine.

isn't it great how things and people can come together with a good bottle.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Echoing the sentiments above -- great story. How wonderful for you and your family -- and for the person who gave you the Beaucastel. Little could than person have known at the time on what occasion the bottle would be opened.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero