• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

via allegro

winemike

Via Allegro for the 4th time on friday night.

Again, not really impressed by the food. While it was good, I did not find it outstanding.

Or well, not over what I'd expect in the average italian place. Foodwise.

Sure, the wine list is magnificent and that's pretty much the only reason I go there.

I wanted an advice for an italian wine to match our food. I asked for help from a "so-called" sommelier.

The guy was clueless. Could not tell me if a Chianti or Amarone or anything else would match our food.

When I asked him if he had a Chianti to recommend in my price range (and there were

a lot of them...) he started looking at the Piedmont section...

My pasta dish (with rabbit) was alright (I love rabbit). Rabbit nicely cooked but the pasta was not

evenly cooked :sad:. The sauce was nice but in no way outstanding.

The dessert (orange creme brulee) took forever to be served and turned out to be, again, average.

I yet have to understand why this place gets so much praise from some people.

Is there an obvious choice that I missed/should try ?

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I have to agree with you winemike. Although I've only eaten there once, it was not memorable enough to return. I don't recall anything particuarly poor, but the service was barely average and the meal was just okay. With so many other choices downtown, there just didn't seem to be a reason to go back. Perhaps others have had better experiences??

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Via Allegro gets its outstanding media presence (from Chatto) because they suck up to him every time he is in. It is definitely not based on the food, with possibly the exception of the steaks which are Sterling beef. But even so, quality meats can be found in many restaurants in the GTA that also possess more well rounded menu with consistency across the board. Just goes to show you that its not the substance of a restaurant that matters only the right friends.

I wanted an advice for an italian wine to match our food. I asked for help from a "so-called" sommelier.

The guy was clueless. Could not tell me if a Chianti or Amarone or anything else would match our food.

When I asked him if he had a Chianti to recommend in my price range (and there were

a lot of them...) he started looking at the Piedmont section...

Totally unacceptable for a place that boasts having "4" sommeliers.

Totally unacceptable for a place that boasts having "4" sommeliers.

The wine list has depth and a lot of rare or very difficult to find bottles.

Even if they're more "famous" wines than actual well thought choices, IMHO.

At least in the French wines section.

Also, this might not be globally true and I might have been very unlucky but the first

time I've been there, my first two choices of French wines (on the list) were sold out.

Today, they're still on the list. Still sold out !! And that was one year ago.

Though, if you're looking for chardonnay from Kistler, it's the only place I've seen

yet in Toronto featuring such a wide choice from his wines.

Unless someone can point me to some other place ? :smile:

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

I think Opus has one of the best wine lists in the country. Not to mention what's in the cellar, but not on the list.

The food is fabulous IMHO. Paul Boehmer used to chef there, Jason Cox is there now. His venison I had last time I was there (late January) was melt in your mouth, and perfectly done. I also happen to think the rack of lamb is some of the best in the city. The owners, Tony and Mario are great too and their wine suggestions never fail. Honestly, it's one of my favourite places in the city, great ambience, service is excellent etc. etc.