• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Duck Liver

VeryApe77

I was at a candy store in Chinatown (Chicago) yesterday, after some lovely dim sum. I bought a bunch of pretty basic candies, but was also tempted by a dried duck liver. Looks like it's vacum sealed. I've yet to open it, so I was wondering if anyone has had this before. How does one go about eating it. I assume like a peice of jerky? Or I am way off mark here? Any ideas would be appricated.

I guess the dried duck liver didn't 'tempt' anyone.

I went through some of my books and found nothing. One had a recipe for Stir Fried Duck Liver --- but not for the dried.

Also, I did a 'google' and found two items ------ Your request!! and a bit about an area of Taiwan where they produce it. No suggestions for its use.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...G=Google+Search

Maybe the store where you bought it could give you a clue?

I was at a candy store in Chinatown (Chicago) yesterday, after some lovely dim sum. I bought a bunch of pretty basic candies, but was also tempted by a dried duck liver. Looks like it's vacum sealed. I've yet to open it, so I was wondering if anyone has had this before. How does one go about eating it. I assume like a peice of jerky? Or I am way off mark here? Any ideas would be appricated.

VeryApe77:

Areyou positive that what you want is Liver? I'm pretty sure it's dried Duck Giblet.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I was...tempted by a dried duck liver.

I've got to watch out for you.

OK, maybe 'intrigued' would be a better choice of words...or maybe not.

Still haven't got round to trying this out, I've been eating all the candy I bought instead! I have to admit though, that I was quite wrong to say liver...it was actually duck kydney!

My first thought was the same as Irwin's, that it's duck giblet. If it is, then it's been salted and dried. It's really good in soups - can be used whole or diced up. Either way, after it gives up all its flavour to the soup, it's good to chew on after dippping in a little soy sauce.

Both Duck Kidney and Duck Giblets may be Cured and Dried to use for various types of Soups primarily "Hakka" or "Cantonese" but i've never seen any Duck Kidney available at Asian Markets in the Seattle Area, but we have had the "Giblet's" for years.

I've enjoyed them as a base for Congee or Chuck but it's most popular prepared in various soups made with Bunched Dried Vegetables, my favorite is Chinese Dry Watercress, Dry Mushrooms, Fresh Carrots, Dry Duck Giblets, Ginger and Garlic, slow cooked at a simmer in a Chicken Broth with a cover with some chinese parsley and spring onions sliced thin added just before serving.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.