• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Dim Sum at Home

jschyun

...And I'm far from obsese. Very, very far.

Yeah, but talk to us when you've passed 25 and then we'll see. :raz::laugh: (just joking!)

Look, it seems like every time you see one of these consumer reports on Chinese food, they're always bashing it. Our culture's been around for oh, 5000+ years and we didn't start getting obese until Western food was introduced in our diet.

Hey, it's "dim sum" - touch your heart - not pound it to death by consuming elephant-sized quantities of dumplings. :laugh:

I am very disappointed to see that others on this board are not taking this article seriously. I for one will be discussin the ramifications of this issue today with some colleagues, over some har gau, dan tat and char siu bau.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I am very disappointed to see that others on this board are not taking this article seriously.  I for one will be discussin the ramifications of this issue today with some colleagues, over some har gau, dan tat and char siu bau.

:laugh::laugh: And I will be spending my evening picking out all the bits of fat from my siu mai ground pork. :raz:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I am very disappointed to see that others on this board are not taking this article seriously.  I for one will be discussin the ramifications of this issue today with some colleagues, over some har gau, dan tat and char siu bau.

LOLOL! I had to read your post twice to get it! Very good!

• 10 months later...

Recently I had the opportunity to sample at different dim sum restaurants in San Francisco. I took the opportunity to taste some of the uncommon dim sum dishes. Most of us who eat dim sum regularly pretty much know about Har Gow (Shrimp Dumpling), Siu Mai (Pork/Shrimp Dumpling) and Sticky Rice Wrapped in Lotus Leaves. Here, I tasted some of the dim sum dishes popular in Hong Kong but not as common in the USA:

gallery_19795_2014_11293.jpg

"Cotton" Chicken. 棉花雞 (Meen Fa Gai [Cantonese]) The literal translation is "cotton" chicken. The "cutton" is actually referring to fish maw whose color and texture slightly resemble those of cotton. A couple of chopped pieces of chicken (with skin typically) steamed with black mushroom, fish maw and -- a small piece of abalone!

gallery_19795_2014_1662.jpg

Soup Dumpling. 魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese]) This is not Shanghainese Xiaolongbao. It is a Cantonese version of soup wrapped inside a dumpling. But in modern days, the dumpling skin is long bursted before the dim sum is served. The meat filling is pork I think. The dumpling is served in superior chicken broth. This one is served with a small piece of shark fin.

gallery_19795_2014_31879.jpg

Enoki mushroom beef rolls. 金菇肥牛卷 (Gum Goo Fai Ngau Guon [Cantonese]) I don't believe this is a classical Cantonese dim sum, but recently many restaurants offer it. The most that I have seen is served as dinner entrees. This restaurant offers 2 enoki mushroom beef rolls as a dim sum item. Enoki mushrooms are wrapped in a thin slice of beef to form a roll, pan-fried, laid on top of a bed of sauteed red onion rings. The brown sauce seems to be made with teriyaki sauce and red wine - a bit of a Japanese-influenced fusion dish?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

gallery_19795_2014_31879.jpg

Enoki mushroom beef rolls.  金菇肥牛卷 (Gum Goo Fai Ngau Guon [Cantonese])  I don't believe this is a classical Cantonese dim sum, but recently many restaurants offer it.  The most that I have seen is served as dinner entrees.  This restaurant offers 2 enoki mushroom beef rolls as a dim sum item.  Enoki mushrooms are wrapped in a thin slice of beef to form a roll, pan-fried, laid on top of a bed of sauteed red onion rings.  The brown sauce seems to be made with teriyaki sauce and red wine - a bit of a Japanese-influenced fusion dish?

Thanks for the post - it all looks and sounds tasty. This last one seems to be similar to Japanese gyunikumaki, which I believe is meat wrapped (rolled) around things like asparagus, okra, etc.

~Tad

Soup Dumpling.  魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese])  This is not Shanghainese Xiaolongbao.  It is a Cantonese version of soup wrapped inside a dumpling.  But in modern days, the dumpling skin is long bursted before the dim sum is served.  The meat filling is pork I think.  The dumpling is served in superior chicken broth.  This one is served with a small piece of shark fin.

Whether the skin is pierced seems more to the luck of the draw. The times I've had this the skin is usually not broken. Sometimes it's pretty fragile though.

Soup Dumpling.  魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese])  This is not Shanghainese Xiaolongbao.  It is a Cantonese version of soup wrapped inside a dumpling.  But in modern days, the dumpling skin is long bursted before the dim sum is served.  The meat filling is pork I think.  The dumpling is served in superior chicken broth.  This one is served with a small piece of shark fin.

Whether the skin is pierced seems more to the luck of the draw. The times I've had this the skin is usually not broken. Sometimes it's pretty fragile though.

These are very special and one of my favourites. The skins should be unbroken, and when you pierce them the extra-rich broth flows into the bowl.

Here in Hong Kong, they charge about HK$45 each, so about US$6. How much are they in the States and elsewhere?

That looks very interesting. I'm curious. How does it compare to the xialongbao?

Also, where in San Francisco and would you recommend it?

Thanks

Soup Dumpling.  魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese]) 

[...]Here in Hong Kong, they charge about HK$45 each, so about US$6. How much are they in the States and elsewhere?

April: The one I ate was offered at "Pearl Village" in Richmond, CA. Regular price: US$5.00 per order. But that day (every Friday) they had it on sale for US$2.95. When I saw the sign outside, I hurried to get in! :biggrin: The small piece of shark fin is a really nice touch I think.

==========

When I said "uncommon dim sum", I was thinking of those dim sum dishes that you don't find in most dim sum restaurants. Chicken feet is actually quite common. So is beef stomach. The 3 dim sum dishes I posted here... each was rarely offered in the restaurants that I have been to (at least in California).

"Cotton" chicken, US$5.00, was offered at Koi Palace, Daly City, CA.

Enoki mushroom beef roll, ~US$4.00, was offered at Parc Hong Kong, San Francisco, CA.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Soup Dumpling.  魚翅灌湯餃 (Guan Tong Gow [Cantonese]) 

This is not Shanghainese Xiaolongbao.  It is a Cantonese version of soup wrapped inside a dumpling. 

That looks very interesting. I'm curious. How does it compare to the xialongbao?

Also, where in San Francisco and would you recommend it?

Xialongbao is much smaller, about 2 inch in diameter usually. There are 4 or 10 "bao" in each order.

Cantonese dim-sum soup dumpling is much bigger, about 4 inch in diameter. There is only 1 dumpling for each order usually. The idea is similar: use the dumpling wrapper to hold the soupy filling. Xialongbao has more meat (pork) in the filling. Cantonese dim-sum soup dumpling is mostly soup and a little bit of meat (pork) in the filling. The focus is in the superior broth. A spoon is usually brought out when this dim sum is served. The taste is really good. I recommend it if you can find it in the restaurant.

The one I had, as posted earlier, is actually in Richmond, California (Pearl Village Restaurant):

In Pacific East Mall (I-80 exit Central Ave)

3288 Pierce Street

Richmond, CA

These are very special and one of my favourites. The skins should be unbroken, and when you pierce them the extra-rich broth flows into the bowl.

Here in Hong Kong, they charge about HK$45 each, so about US$6. How much are they in the States and elsewhere?

I think the price of this dumpling at the restaurant I frequent is US $4.50.

Here's something I saw for the first time a few weeks ago.

It's a dessert pastry with a flaky pink-and-green tinted crust and a lotus seed paste filling. The yellow crumbled over the top is more pastry flakes.

The waitress (whose English was poor) just mumbled something about it being called "lotus bun" when I pressed her for a name. The restaurant made this for Chinese New Year's and I tend to think it won't be on their regular menu. It looks better than it tastes.

gallery_27586_876_9115.jpg

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

It's a dessert pastry with a flaky pink-and-green tinted crust and a lotus seed paste filling. The yellow crumbled over the top is more pastry flakes.

The waitress (whose English was poor) just mumbled something about it being called "lotus bun" when I pressed her for a name.

[...]

I have never seen it before but it sure looks very pretty.

The waitress (whose English was poor) just mumbled something about it being called "lotus bun" when I pressed her for a name.

[...]

I have never seen it before but it sure looks very pretty.

I've seen these in my recipe books, but not in a restaurant. The flower effect is produced by cutting "segments" at the top of the bun. When baked, it opens into petals.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The one I had, as posted earlier, is actually in Richmond, California (Pearl Village Restaurant):

In Pacific East Mall (I-80 exit Central Ave)

3288 Pierce Street

Richmond, CA

Sorry. Got the name of the restaurant wrong. It is "Asian Pearl" Restaurant in Richmond, CA.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be making some Dim Sum for a dinner party and I was wondering how far in advance the dumplings can be made with out the "stuffing" seaping through the wrappers.

I'll be making the yeast based dough for steamed pork buns, shu mi (sp?), and others using the premade wonton wrappers.

I plan on making the "stuffing" ahead of time, I was wondering about filling the dumplings/buns the night before and placing them in the refrig.? Although, I think this may compromise the "wrapper"?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or should I just stick to making the stuffing the day before?

-z

I'll be making some Dim Sum for a dinner party and I was wondering how far in advance the dumplings can be made with out the "stuffing" seaping through the wrappers.

I'll be making the yeast based dough for steamed pork buns, shu mi (sp?), and others using the premade wonton wrappers.

I plan on making the "stuffing" ahead of time, I was wondering about filling the dumplings/buns the night before and placing them in the refrig.?  Although, I think this may compromise the "wrapper"?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Or should I just stick to making the stuffing the day before?

-z

I have made fillings for shao mai and potsticker, for instance, and frozen it. Then thaw and procede.

Also, for shao mai and potstickers, I have made them, and while uncooked I have placed them on a cookie sheet and frozen them, then placed in an air tight plastic bag. When cooked from the frozen state --- add an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.

For something like pearl balls, they have to be cooked first, then you can freeze them. Again adding 5 minutes to the steaming time.

You can take some cues to what you see in a Chinese store. In the refrigerator section are all kind of dim sum tidbits, filled and ready to cook.

What is your menu?

When is your dinner party and how much other prep. do you have to do for the day of the party?

From my own experience, I would make up the siu mai, potstickers, purchased wrapper items and freeze them. They don't take any longer to steam than fresh ones, and taste fine. The juice from stuffing would dampen the wrappers if you fill them the night before and stored in the fridge.

The one item that seemed to survive storage in the fridge was the har gow - not as juicy, and maybe the difference in the wrapper ingredient.

For the yeast base baos, I have no experience. But, I seem to remember a post mentioning that they can be made up and refridgerated for steaming later. :unsure:

If you don't have a lot of other prep. to do the day of your party, I would suggest, for the baos, to make up your filling the night before, then make up the baos in time for the "rise and bake" before the party.

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

While I'm not a big fan of Shrimp Toast unless it is freshly made, you can make and cook them ahead of time and either refrigerated a day or two or freeze them. Heat them, upside down on a rack, just before you serve them. (You want the bread nice and dry)

Curried beef turnovers can also be done ahead and frozen, then heated in the oven.

Dim sum, like baking, is best served freshly made (like... right off the steamer or fryer). If you wait until the next day, you would notice the difference in taste.

Wrapping dim sum and store in the refrigerator, raw, overnight can be problematic. As said upthread, the moisture from the filling would ruin the wrapper. The best is to prepare the filling the day before, but wrap and steam/fry the dim sum the day of your festivity. And if you must make them one day ahead of time, you may be better off cooking them first, then refrigerate them overnight. Before serving, just steam them again.