• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 Wine "Truths"

malcolmjolley

Actually, I agree with only one part of #5 -- that viognier is overrated, mostly the stuff from the U.S. For some Condrieu, it's impossible to call it overrated.

#1 - try some wine in Italy that costs only $1.50 (U.S.), and you'll have your exception to the rule.

#7 - only if they have a knife attachment.

#11 - get serious (and drink more riesling, ognoring what is written in #5).

#19 - taste a VV and a JV side by side, then we can talk.

But I can go along with the rest. :smile:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Obviously very tongue in cheek.

I imaging what he trying to say in #5 is that just because it is Chardonnay (Normally seen as the 'Vanilla' of the wine world. Sometimes literally!), doesn't mean it is bad, and just because it is riesling or viognier (Hyped as the thinking mans choice) that it is good.

Basically a sideswipe at the reverse wine snobbery which is going round.

And #19, old vines may make a difference, but having it on the label doesn't necessary mean anything.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Actually, I agree with only one part of #5 -- that viognier is overrated, mostly the stuff from the U.S. For some Condrieu, it's impossible to call it overrated.

#1 - try some wine in Italy that costs only $1.50 (U.S.), and you'll have your exception to the rule.

#7 - only if they have a knife attachment.

#11 - get serious (and drink more riesling, ognoring what is written in #5).

#19 - taste a VV and a JV side by side, then we can talk.

But I can go along with the rest. :smile:

Brad,

#1 In the UK, the Duty on wine is £1.19 per bottle +17.5% VAT = £1.40 a bottle. This is before VAT on the wine.

#7 not if you are flying from the UK. They confiscate everything, nailclippers included.

#11 - agree that this is non-sensical.

#19 - generally VV means nothing. OK in certain vineyards they will put VV on 35, 50yo etc vines, but it is not a regulated term and therefore can be applied to any wine whether the vines are 3yo or 300yo.

The only other one really is

#16 wine is always overpriced in restaurants NOT just Michelin starred ones.

These rules may apply for wines that have been internationally shipped. But don't take this list with you on vacation, you'd really miss out.

1. Wines costing £2.99 or less are invariably undrinkable. :wacko: Alert Alert! This rule does not apply when you are traveling in wine producing countries. Price for a perfectly respectable, deliciously drinkable Cote du Rhone runs around 2€50, for example. Furthermore, if anyone plans to travel in France, I encourage you to buy as much cheap wine from your favorite regions produced this past year to take home with you, because 2003 will go down in history as an excellent year producing extrordinary wines due to the incredibly hot dry summer. Don't miss out!

11. Red wines are more interesting than whites; rosés are less interesting than both. :blink: Categorical dismissal of rosés would be almost as bad as using the word "invariably" in rule No. 1. That is comparing apples to oranges. Don't sell out and miss out by eliminating rosés from your wine spectrum.

23. Be suspicious of any wine that comes out of a box; ditto a basket. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Don't be afraid of a box. Many fabulous wines are served out of a box in France. What's important is avoiding major temperature fluctuations and to keep it sealed from the air when you're storing it. It is common practice to purchase straight from the vingneron in box, and bottle for your own personal cave at home if you're not planning on drinking it within the next three months.

Corkscrews are commonly available in the countries where wine is sold. Thus no need to fret about not being able to carry one on the plane! :raz:

1. Wines costing £2.99 or less are invariably undrinkable. :wacko: Alert Alert! This rule does not apply when you are traveling in wine producing countries. Price for a perfectly respectable, deliciously drinkable Cote du Rhone runs around 2€50, for example. Furthermore, if anyone plans to travel in France, I encourage you to buy as much cheap wine from your favorite regions produced this past year to take home with you, because 2003 will go down in history as an excellent year producing extrordinary wines due to the incredibly hot dry summer. Don't miss out!

I would add a caveat to going overboard on the 2003s. A lot of wines will be lacking in acidity and not stand the test of time. I also believe that there will be a lot of harsh tannins in many wines.

I will confess to not having had too many 2003s but of the ones that I have had I have not been overly impressed.

23. Be suspicious of any wine that comes out of a box; ditto a basket. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Don't be afraid of a box. Many fabulous wines are served out of a box in France. What's important is avoiding major temperature fluctuations and to keep it sealed from the air when you're storing it. It is common practice to purchase straight from the vingneron in box, and bottle for your own personal cave at home if you're not planning on drinking it within the next three months.

Exactly!

I had forgotten about this, but one of my favorite moments from my year in France was when our "Madame", who was putting up 7 students in her house, took us to a local vineyard in the Loire outside Tours to get her yearly "fill up" in 2 5 gallon plastic bladders. Once we got back to the maison, we spent the rest of the day bottling.

Great Great stuff

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Brad,

#1 In the UK, the Duty on wine is £1.19 per bottle +17.5% VAT = £1.40 a bottle. This is before VAT on the wine.

#19 - generally VV means nothing. OK in certain vineyards they will put VV on 35, 50yo etc vines, but it is not a regulated term and therefore can be applied to any wine whether the vines are 3yo or 300yo.

That's a big "wow!" on #1. After the taxes and duty, one is left with the actual wine being .40 pounds. Okay, I take back my criticism.

And you have a point on #19. Old vines can contribute to a different style, particularly among producers who have wines labeled VV and JV (and some that are labeled "old vines" in the U.S.). I suppose the author's point is that VV holds about as much means as "reserve" does for California wines.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero