• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Once upon a time in the Midlands

:laugh: Hailing from N'ham i suppose i should be very au fait with it's culinary happenings, however i'm not. My mum's a great cook and she's certainly of the 'i can make it at home' school of eating, so dining out when in Nottingham is not generally an option as we feast on home cooking. This time I've put my foot down as it's mother's day w/end and i've insisted on taking her out. Does anyone have any great gourmet suggestions [world service and sat bains already fully booked] for around the £40 p/head mark - in car - so could be slightly out of town too.

Matthew Fort (of t'Guardian) went somewhere outside Notts city centre - hold on a mo... ah yes, La Toque in Beeston any good for you? How about Hart's? (www.hartsnottingham.co.uk)

I'm from Nottinghamshire but haven't lived or eaten there for many a year. I have heard Sat Bains and Hotel des Clos is up for sale though.

Thanks for that - rang them - they're booked. Looks like the whole of N'ham is eating out this Saturday night!! Hart's have been to before, food great, but, the atmosphere a bit too clinical for my taste. My dad [he's a doctor] said it reminded him a little too much of it's previous incarnation [The General Hospital].

Any other suggestions guys? It's getting desparate now and may have to end up with a takeaway bucket from KFC!!

I have heard Sat Bains and Hotel des Clos is up for sale though.

Indeed it is, Bains is quoted in the Caterer as saying he is ready to "put his balls on the line", which is all very nice I suppose, but hands up who'd prefer that he just carry on cooking.

Probably not as 'high end' but what about Merchants at the Lace Market Hotel? Other than that my memory fails me!

my friend Mark runs the Lacemarket Hotel and very delighted he would be too to see you at Merchants. They've just souped up their bar too -

Saint Bar at Lace Market Hotel

I will ask him if he would recommend anywhere else for your dinner, though. Might even introduce him to the joys of eGullet!! We had a really good curry last time I was up (early Feb) at the Sagaar in I think Beeston. which of course I promptly dubbed the Shergar, thus taking away everyone's appetites. "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!" aieeeeeeeee

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

• 4 weeks later...

A further addition about Harts, went there towards the end of last year and standards had definitely slipped in the kitchen and the general buzz around was that our experience was fairly typical. Returned last weekend and am pleased to report that normal service has been resumed (except for a small slip when lamb ordered medium was excessively bloody but that was fixed quickly and with minimal fuss). Food still isn't probably quite as good as World Service but the wine selection is better (and cheaper) and for me the service at Harts still has the edge.