• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Make Your Own Belly Bombs

Jason Perlow

i4126.jpg

Stage 1: Begin grilling sliced onions in cast iron griddle using bacon grease or butter.

i4123.jpg

Stage 2: On a sheet pan lined with cellophane wrap, flatten out fresh ground beef (2lbs) and heavily season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

i4124.jpg

Stage 3: Fold layer of ground beef over in half.

i4125.jpg

Stage 4: Apply secondary layer of cellophane wrap and flatten the meat a second time with a rolling pin.

i4127.jpg

Cut meat into small squares or rectangles, big enough to fit your mini-buns. We used hot dog buns cut in thirds, but if you can find some small potato rolls, even better. Leave excess meat over for a second round.

i4128.jpg

Place the portioned ordinance onto the plate.

i4132.jpg

Commence grilling on medium to high heat, 1.5 minutes per side or until desired doneness.

i4130.jpg

Place ammunition onto loading vehicle.

i4129.jpg

Apply ketchup, mustard and grilled onions or other desired condiments for the specific mission characteristics.

i4121.jpg

Bombs Away!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

:laugh:

You need to start an internet food blog.

woodburner

Well, you see, I already have this other internet site that I got, which is taking up an inordinate amount of my time.... :laugh:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

You forgot to punch holes in the meat patties for the all-important "evenness of cooking" enhancement.

Otherwise, awesome.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

You forgot to punch holes in the meat patties for the all-important "evenness of cooking" enhancement.

Otherwise, awesome.

PJ

Yeah, actually, we did that with the leftover meat for the second cooking round using skewers. I don't think it really accomplished much but Rachel liked them that way.

But do they freeze well? :biggrin:

And where was El Gordo in all of this? :biggrin:

Soba

El Gordo is enroute back from Florida.

We're freezing up quite a few of the patties and will re-heat some of them over the next week. I decided not to freeze them with the bread on 'em. I want to get some better rolls.

Actually, the second round with the holes punched in them (as per the #5 side of a die) with the flat end of a bamboo skewer, cooked quicker and the resultant burgers were flatter. The unpunched ones puffed up a bit. Therefore docking is recommended.

they're gorgeous and I'm hungry now, but may I ask about the occasion of inspiration?

It was 8 oclock at night, I didn't feel like going out, we had hamburger meat and we had a pack of hot dog buns.

The technique was also recently shown by Alton Brown on an episode of Good Eats, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Those would kick ass on homemade biscuits.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nice work. I can't think of a better way to spend the day than manufacturing WoMD. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There's a local microbrewery and restaurant that serves up those little tasty bite sized burgers in a galvanized bucket as an appetizer. They are delicious. If I'm not mistaken, they are on in house made biscuits. Oh, the summertime on their patio....

Jason,

There is a very familiar looking jar (not very full, but very familiar looking). Were you putting green tomato relish on those babies?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Jason,

There is a very familiar looking jar (not very full, but very familiar looking). Were you putting green tomato relish on those babies?

Yep. Its our last jar of your relishes that you gave us, I'm afraid. We've been using them a lot. I'm particularly fond of the corn one.

Those pictures suck :biggrin: , I am now craving white castle and it is 8 in the morning with the closest white castle hundreds of miles away.

After watching the episode of Good Eats I was struck by inspiration and made a batch. It is incredible how many of those suckers one can consume.

I added sliced serrano chiles to my grilled onions for a little kick. It was balanced by the sweetness in the rolls I used.

These worked well......perfect size rolls

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

That Kings Hawaiian bread is awesome. Rachel and I had it for breakfast every day on our honeymoon on the Big Island, back in '95. I didnt recall seeing them in that size then, though. It must be a fairly new product in their repertoire. Unfortunately I havent seen any Kings Hawaiian products at supermarkets in New Jersey, I'd sure like to get some.

I'd imagine they'd go really well with burgers, but I agree, spicy condiments would be necessary, I wouldn't go for sweeter relishes or pickles.

Otherwise, awesome.

PJ

word. sliders have holes. but otherwise good job. Except maybe next time try steaming the onions (water instead of grease) add the meat with holes, and then the bun on top when it's close to done.

you're look far better than any slider i've ever had tho.

Actually, SLIDERS (White Castles or Krystals) have holes, but Belly Bombs do not. Case in point, the burgers at White Manna in Hackensack, NJ. I believe the White Rose burgers are similar as well. The bombs we made were considerably thicker than a WC or Krystal slider and closer to a White Manna. I think to get a really thin burger you need commercial meat processing equipment and they need to be frozen before cooking so that the sheets of burgers can be handled easily.

The bombs at White Manna are actually ground beef meatballs which are smooshed onto a bed of grilled onions.