• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoddeok

• 1 month later...

On a dare I ate one (well part of one) last night in Dongdaemoon. The fry coated dogs are pre-fried once, and then fried again after you order.

It is basically a corndog, covered in a second layer of batter, and then coated in fries. You almost loose the dog in the layers of dough. Pictures up on my blog soon.

The fries taste stale, and the ketchup too sweet. I don't think I'll be having another anytime soon.

I like to stick to the ddok boggie and yache twigim (fried veggies) mixed together. Or takki yaki, a new but wildly popular street snack in the downtown and university areas.

Edited by maryeats (log)

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com

I like to stick to the ddok boggie and yache twigim (fried veggies) mixed together. Or takki yaki, a new but wildly popular street snack in the downtown and university areas.

Oh yeah, the takoyaki -- Osaka's big contribution to Seoul street cuisine. Gimme some octopus balls, yeah!

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

• 2 years later...

Tell me more about street food in Korea, Seoul in particular.

For my upcoming trip the things I really want to try are

hoddeok

ddeokbokki

waffles, that look like this

those french fry covered hot dogs mentioned up thread

Also I am not familiar with the yache twigim (fried veggies) that maryeats mentions, can you tell me more.

Are there any other streets foods that I shouldn't miss?

Where are the best places to find them? Are they only out at certain times of day?

Any specific shops you can recommend?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Hoddeuk - Insadong. There are two or three vendors - look for the one with the long line up about half-way through. Eat there. Don't bite in right away, no matter the temptation.

Ddeok bokki and other various fried bits - the main street in Jongno, or the centre "gai" in Myeongdong will have lots of vendors. Namdaemung market, as well. Same rules apply as anywhere - look for a vendor that's busy, and has a lot of turnover. It's nice to get vegetable twiggim added into your ddeok bokki - since it's pre-fried and sits out in the cold, it's usually not very nice - but if you get them to swirl it around in the special sauce - magic! Also make sure you break up the boiled egg and mix the hard-boiled yolk into the sauce; it mellows it a bit.

Outside Doksugung, at City Hall station, they sell waffles "nuts" filled with white bean paste. I always loved those.

On the weekends, the vendors should be out all day; on the weekdays they usually come out around lunch or after the kids get off school. Early evening is the best time to sample their wares.

• 4 weeks later...

To torakiris//

It may be a bit late, but street foods not to miss that have not been mentioned are:

- Soon Dae and Liver, with salt and red pepper

- Soon Dae Bok Keum

- Various Pojang Macha foods

- chest nuts and sweet potatoes

• 1 month later...

Hotteok is definitely food from the gods! Our first morning here we hit namdeumun (probably slaughtering that) market and the first thing we say was a vendor. We picked up 5 of them and went on our way. Afterwards the kids kept begging for more so after dinner we hit another vendor....

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up getting hotteoks every day, sometimes twice a day. I even bought a mix so we can make them at home...

gallery_6134_6412_17368.jpg

Another favorite snack was the 32cm tall ice cream cones...

gallery_6134_6412_29128.jpg