• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First ( and hopefully not last) meal

foodie52

Well hey! All's well that ends well, as some famous person once said!!!

(Just a suggestion, but maybe you should consider using those goofy emoticons - is that word even in the dictionary??) when you post.

Just kidding......( no emotiocon necessary.....)

:raz:

• 5 months later...

The first meal I made for my girlfriend, was in high school. My parents played on a Wall-y Ball team (Volley-ball in a raquetball court - this is the 80s, right) and I would play with them and after they would go for Margueritas and Gringo Mexican Food at a place called Bravo's in Agusta, ME. I ate the burritos there that were stuffed with refried beans and stewed beef. The plate was garnished with shredded lettuce, shredded carrots, sour cream, grated cheese, salsa, and jalepeno slices.

One night I skipped the game and had the opportunity to cook a romantic meal for me and my girlfriend instead. That night it was Bravo's at Home and I had no problem duplicating this plate or a pitcher of Margueritas. Ole!

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

god i can't remember. i started cooking dinner for my family every night, when i was 13 or 14 yo. i do remember my first full on thanksgiving dinner for my ex tho. i spelled i "heart" you in marshmallows on the sweet potato casserole.

oh wait - i also remember the first meal i cooked for him. eggs. big mistake. i should have sent him home hungry. instead he stayed. *sigh*

I can't remember. I think it was fried chicken, and fresh vegetables from the local farm. I do remember making a cherry pie from scratch. That sealed the deal for him.

The first meal he made for me was filet mignon, sauteed green beans, baked potatoes and a salad. I know there was dessert, but I don't remember what it was. This was for a Valentine's Day when we were students in college. DH was still living at home. He's come a long way in the culinary department. Now he can make creme brulee, or just about anything he wants. He recently made a pork loin en croute that was wonderful.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

The first meal I cooked for my wife was a week after we met in August of '85. Wanting to show off both my softer, romantic side and my manly-man side, I cooked a nice meal, but on the GRILLL! I grilled steaks and lobster tails, with new potatoes, and a salad. We've been together ever since so I musta done somethin' right! Of course I still fix the majority of our meals, so she got a good deal (and I remind her quite frequently of how lucky she is !) :biggrin:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

We had been friends for years. Knew each other since high school, drifted in and out of each others lives.

One night at a mutual friends house he showed up, fresh out of the Army, coming home from Bosnia. He had just gone through a divorce, as had I.

We all went out and had a few drinks at the local bar. To catch up and let off some steam after a long week.

Came back to the house famished, and to a nearly empty kitchen. Just so happened I had stopped at the grocery store for some non perishables before I got to my friends house. Checked the cabinets and freezer. I found ground beef, a package of spicy pork breakfast sausage, half an onion, green pepper, mozz and provolone cheese and tomato sauce. I had spices (including a package of Sazon, LOVE that stuff) and two loaves of good crusty bread. I made meatball, pepper and onion subs covered with cheese.

He loved them and I have been cooking for him ever since. That was five years ago.

Was it fate or the meatball subs ????? :laugh:

Today is going to be one of those days.....

I made teriyaki pork chops smothered in a red bell pepper, onion and garlic relish, served with garlic smashed potatoes and a green salad. Beer.

His mother never really cooked for him...or his ex-wife...or his live-in girlfriend, thus I enjoyed "showing off" (as my now-husband puts it). :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Hmmm, it was last fall, rainy and cold - I think it must have been roast chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans (my standby meal; it looks great, i can do it with my eyes closed, and there is no one on earth who objects to a plate of roast chicken and mashed potatoes).

I remember more clearly the first meal I ever cooked for my first ever boyfriend when I was fifteen - a chopped vegetable salad with feta; cold fried chicken with Morrocan (I thought, anyway) spices in the crust; orzo salad; and homemade lemonade with rosemary and blueberries, all packed up into a picnic basket and toted over to Great Falls. I read waay too many cooking magazines and watched waay too many cooking shows, and slaved mightily to produce something I thought was unusual and delicious and impressive.

He hated it - thought the whole thing was too "weird," particularly the raw fennel in the salad. Hmph.

The first thing I served Bob was our first meeting...I had had "An Occasional Meal" the night before, and had leftovers. "An Occasional Meal" was when I catered to a group of friends, with music (flamenco guitar, harp, etcetera) and a multi-course vegetarian feast, all staged in the beautiful Craftsman house I lived in at the time.

I had answered his personals ad three weeks earlier, and we'd corresponded and spoken on the phone. By the time I realized I could trust him, and invited him to lunch at our house, I'd forgotten if his ad mentioned being tall or not. I really wanted him to be tall. And lord, yes, he unfolded from his BMW and he was tall!

I served him this pasta and The Ultimate Garlic Bread (my housemate's recipe), along with a salad.

I have never been so calm around a man in whom I am interested in my life.

It went so well.

Our 13th anniversary (of me answering his ad) is October 3.

We were in college and a bunch of us went to Newport, RI where Dan (my husband)'s father had a house on the beach. We all chipped in and I made my father's recipe for steak with this OUTRAGEOUS sauce (made with mushrooms, onions, bacon, sweet vermouth, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce), baked potatoes with a toppings bar, and salad.

The men in the group all fell in love with me forever :rolleyes: , and this one girl got really, really angry and started yelling that she hated mushrooms and that I ruined her steak. I think she was just jealous :wink:

And her steak didn't go to waste! :laugh:

Cannot remember specifically the first meal that I made for my now husband, but knowing my staple then (and now, for most dinners at home!), it was doubtless a big salad! (with a whole lot of wine to wash it down! :cool: ) Actually, I think that breakfast may have been the first meal ( :shock: ), I think that my homemade museli was what he really loved about me - we still have it practically every morning (it's been more than two years now!)

Um, but I remember the first dinner we had as husband and wife - a joint venture, it was: Tuna tartare, followed by lobster ravioli in a corn and red pepper cream. There was lots of wine and quiet jazz, and probably one of the most romantic meals we have ever experienced. :wub:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

I can't pin down the first meal I cooked for my husband. We were friends for over a year before we ever dated and were both part of a group that got together every Friday night for dinner and X Files. I ended up cooking a lot of what went into the dinners, so by the time we started dating he had eaten quite a few of my dishes.

I do remember the first meal he ever cooked for me, however. The meal was potstickers and a spiced rice concoction that he meticulously put together while I sat and watched. I felt so special and loved as he carefully prepared the meal just for me. And one of the fondest memories after we were married and I moved into his apartment was putting all of our cookbooks together, side by side :wub:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The first serious dish I ever prepared was sole souffle, from E. David's French Country Cooking, a paperback I discovered when I was 19. I was home from college where everything was cafeteria style, and I was in my mom's kitchen, where she had prepared almost every meal I had until age 18. She had always made a superb cheddar souffle.

I followed David's directions exactly, but I had to use frozen sole. It turned out really nicely, and from there on I was not intimidated in the kitchen, in fact I was rewarded, so I continued. I was glad to be able to feed my family something special, even if mom still contributed the side dishes.

Veal tenderloins with rosemary, fresh black pepper fetuccini in a porcini cream sauce, and pickled red cabbage, with the stand-by Bonny Doon Big House Red.

With great hubris, I made the whole thing without glancing at a recipe, but it came off nonetheless. To this day, I haven't been able to recreate that sauce -- it seems always to be missing that piquant bite that only sexual tension provides....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The first meal that I ever cooked was my attempt to recreate the most wonderful plate of food I’d ever had up to that point in my 7 (maybe 8) years of living; French toast with maple syrup. I was served this strange and wonderful meal in a hotel in Chicago, a dish my mother happily informed me she could make at home. It turns out Mom’s version wasn’t exactly as good as I remembered it being the first time around (she never did soak the bread long enough in the egg mix) so I asked her if she could teach me to make it.

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m relatively certain this was also the first meal that I cooked for my (now) fiancé. Breakfast in bed is such a deal-sealer.

I met the love of my life when I was 19 and she was 17. I had moved into a rented room in this woman's house, and Deanna lived in the room next door. There was a communal kitchen in the basement for the renter's to use. I was really a gourmet at an early age. I took me a 1/2 lb of hamburger, fried it up loosely with some onions and a little oregano, salt and pepper, whilst at the same time I heated up a fresh can of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee spaghetti and meatballs. I combined the two, and that was our first meal.

Deanna reciprocated the next evening by bringing out her little cook set. It was exactly between the size of my sister's doll house cookware, and regular adult cookware. I'd never seen any in-between size cookware like that before, and since Deanna was 5' 1/2" tall, I started wondering if maybe I'd run into a new race of in-between size people or something! :)

She proceeded to melt about 2 cups of Crisco in the little fry pan, and floated hamburger patties in it until they were cooked. I said Wow! I'd never seen hamburgers made that way before, and she told me that's the way Mom has always made them!

We never parted after that night, Oct. 10, 1969. And we are still together, and still cooking together. And her favorite meal now is green beans with sauteed mushrooms with lemon zest and lemon juice, Potatoes Deanna (I named it after her, of course!), and grilled dry marinated tenderloin with homemade Demi-glace with a little Maytag Iowa blue cheese incorporated in.

doc

the first time he cooked for me was last spring break- almost two years after we started dating (he hates cooking). it consisted of thick cuts of beef marinated overnight in PAPS Blue Ribbon which he diligently carried across the Charles River via bus from his room to mine, garlic mashed potatoes with pockets of goat cheese that he didn't quite blend through washed down with a bottle of red wine we had stolen from a semiformal at his house a year before and topped off with some Cadbury milk chocolate straight from England.

Edited by yushoe (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I probably made one of my mom's recipes (chicken fricasee ?) - it seems I always turned to those favorites when cooking for boyfriends - somehow they gave me a bit of extra confidence.

The first time Larry cooked for me was breakfast - pancakes. He makes great, super fluffy pancakes. We had been in a very confusing stage (are we friends, are we dating, does he like me, do I like him, why aren't we communicating about this like intelligent, rational people?) for about 10 months. Things had just become clear (Yes, we are dating - Oh joy!). I was dog/housesitting and a very confident Larry brought the ingredients to make his pancakes for breakfast with him when we went out for dinner on Friday night.

Robin Tyler McWaters

• 1 month later...

The first meal my husband cooked for me was a dish we had recently had by his choice at a Chinese reataurant. Since he had taken some Chinese cooking classes at the local night school. the dish was Black Bean Spare Ribs....they tasted exactly like they did at the restaurant....didnt like them there either. The only other dish he makes is chicken and muchrooms over noodles with jarred Alfredo sauce.

Just because I went to culinary school he wont even try anymore.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

the first things i ever cooked were: FBI cake, when i was eleven, cocoa snickerdoodles, the next year, and then i learned about scrambled eggs. at thirteen, when you want food in you FAST and your mom won't buy junk food, you learn little triks like adding heat to eggs and eating what happens. PB&J doesn't count, i think. then i discovered cinnamon, and this led to boneless pork chops in a mixture of cinnamon, soy sauce, vanilla, and probably something else. i remember at the time it was sublime, heavenly...but maybe i should ask my sister for the real answer, as she was my first victim... :blink:

The first date with my wife was at my apartment, where I made chicken tarragon and broccoli with hollandaise. I think the wine was a screw top called Emerald Green or something similar. She had just started working at the same non-profit and I made about $12,000 a year (this was 1982). Back then, my theory was that if I made a nice dinner, set the mood with candles and music, I might get lucky and my bedroom was only a few steps away. The women who agreed to this ruse were always invited to help cook and of course conversation, and wine, would flow. At the very least, we'd get to know each other without the dinner and movie or dinner and a club thing.

Well, I got lucky and we knew within two weeks we knew we were going to get married.

Our wedding was at the country estate of one of our 17th century vice presidents and because we had almost no money and had to pay for the affair ourselves, we did the cooking.

We made a Country French chicken dish from a New York Times Magazine, filet mignon ("black and blue" black on the outside and blue inside) chilled and on a bed of vegetables with vinegrette, a seafood rice dish, and quiche. There were other dishes including a liver pate' (read: chopped liver) and a few I forget. We took off a week from work, bought a Cuisinart food processor and cooked for over 100 people. We also bought the flowers from a wholesale house and had to get up at 5 a.m. to pick them up. We hired servers and a friend donated a few cases of LeFleur (?) a "good" screw top wine.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It's been 21 years and we're still cookin'!

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

when I met my husband (12 years ago) we both couldn't cook. He had been married before to a woman who could cook very well so I think that's why I decided to learn..

I don't remember any meals from the first 6 months. Then I bought him a Marcella Hazan cookbook and started cooking from it!

12 years later, he is not allowed in the kitchen except to eat, I have 200 + cookbooks and cooking is my passion, my daily joy. And he loves eating my food!