• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipotles

foodie52

Does anyone have a clue as to why seeds for the Oaxacan peppers can't seem to be found? I have googled every which way from Sunday and the only thing I get is recipes and not many of those either.

fifi,

I think the problem is that they aren't Oaxacan Peppers, per se, but may be instead, Pasilla de Oaxaca Peppers, which is what I kept finding when Googling.

Here's one place that sells the pepper plants

A little info about that chile

Gourmet Sleuth has the dried chiles for sale

There may be seeds inside the dried chiles that might be viable...who knows?

The dried chiles are even being sold on eBay. :blink:

Do you think this is the same chile you're looking for?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So many products are flavored with chipotles. I'm pretty tired of that flavor. It got me to thinking about the wonderful peppers, fresh and dried, that we have here. What are your favorites? How do you use them?

I know that some chefs are crazy about guajillos right now.

Anyone make their own blends?

I really love the flavor of habaneros (fresh and pickles; haven't used dried very much).

Mentioned it on another thread, but a great simple use is Bayless' "Essential Simmered Tomato-Habanero Sauce" in his Bayless' "Mexican Kitchen"(egullet-amazon link). It's a versatile picante sauce that's become one of my basics for mexican cooking; it's very low effort to make.

I use canned tomatoes most of the time. although in late summer I'll roast the tomatoes as Bayless suggests. First cook some thinly sliced onions until golden brown, add pureed tomatoes (puree one large can or ~ 1 1/2 lbs roasted tomatoes) and fresh habanero chile (I like it pretty spicy so I add about 1/4-1/2 habanero chile minced, then the other half, whole; else can just add two halves and fish out later). Simmer ~ 15 min or so until thicker but but not too thick, season with salt and remove chile half.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I think the problem is that they aren't Oaxacan Peppers, per se, but may be instead, Pasilla de Oaxaca Peppers, which is what I kept finding when Googling.

Here's one place that sells the pepper plants

A little info about that chile

Gourmet Sleuth has the dried chiles for sale

There may be seeds inside the dried chiles that might be viable...who knows?

The dried chiles are even being sold on eBay. :blink:

Do you think this is the same chile you're looking for

There are a number of peppers from Oaxaca but I think everyone wants the Passila and since it's smoked, seed germonation is unlikely. But your links correct that.

Good sleuthing!

The Gourmet Sleuth link looks good. That's a very good price, too! The Ebay link seems fine, too. If someone orders them, let us know the quality.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

The pasillas are all that I find as well. This from Zarela Martinez in the food and life of Oaxaca.

Chilhuacle. This type includes several characteristic Oaxacan chiles that are seldom found in most other parts of Mexico. The name means "old chile" in Nahuatl (the Aztec language). Chilhuacles are about the size and shape of small bell peppers when fresh and remain smooth when dried, with intense heat and robust flavor. There are different colored strains. The very dark, spicy chilhuacle negro is integral to both the color and the flavor nuances of traditional mole negro.

She gives some mail order sources but last time I tried that I bombed. I tried Frieda's By Mail (Los Angeles), Tierra Vegetables (Healdsburg, CA), and there are others as well. I haven't tried in a couple of years. I am sort of waiting for Fiesta here in Houston to get them. I occasionally bug the produce manager and the reply is always along the lines of "I would love to find a source." I suppose that part of the problem may be setting up a reliable supply.

Someone needs to get themselves down there and bring rancho_gordo a supply of Oaxacan pepper seeds. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The pasillas are all that I find as well. This from Zarela Martinez in the food and life of Oaxaca.
Chilhuacle. This type includes several characteristic Oaxacan chiles that are seldom found in most other parts of Mexico. The name means "old chile" in Nahuatl (the Aztec language). Chilhuacles are about the size and shape of small bell peppers when fresh and remain smooth when dried, with intense heat and robust flavor. There are different colored strains. The very dark, spicy chilhuacle negro is integral to both the color and the flavor nuances of traditional mole negro.

She gives some mail order sources but last time I tried that I bombed. I tried Frieda's By Mail (Los Angeles), Tierra Vegetables (Healdsburg, CA), and there are others as well. I haven't tried in a couple of years. I am sort of waiting for Fiesta here in Houston to get them. I occasionally bug the produce manager and the reply is always along the lines of "I would love to find a source." I suppose that part of the problem may be setting up a reliable supply.

Someone needs to get themselves down there and bring rancho_gordo a supply of Oaxacan pepper seeds. :biggrin:

I found this looking for "chile seeds Chilhuacle".

Is that what you want? It was linked to from this article: Clickety

Tim Oliver

Toliver... You are an internet genius. :wub:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Toliver... You are an internet genius. :wub:

Awww. :blush:

I believe Chile Pepper Magazine had an article on the Seven Moles of Oaxaca, which included Mole Negro Oaxaqueno made with the chilhuacle negro (among other peppers).

If you're looking for dried chilhuacle negro peppers, I found this chile site is selling dried pods.

Tim Oliver

since it's smoked, seed germonation is unlikely.

That's what one of your competitors told me. Apparently she is not as internet savvy as some of our egulleters! Diana Kennedy wrote somewhere that they were rare and expensive even in Oaxaca.

Do let me know when you get them in. I will definitely visit you at Grand Lake.

I got a half-pound of the Chilhuacles a year or so ago at Central Market here in Austin, for around $16/pound. They haven't been seen there since. I looked all over the markets on Airline in Houston, but they're not there. I saved one pepper after making mole negro this last winter - it's sitting in my spice rack above my work bench to remind me what it really looks like. Susannah Trilling told me that they are not easy to come by in Oaxaca these days. I was contemplating throwing a few plants around my yard so I'd have a source for the dried under $20 a pound. That internet source for the dried peppers works out to $40 a pound. Of course, the water in austin's summer heat may cost that much....Rancho Gordo, can you give a rough estimate of how much dried weight one plant would produce?

Do let me know when you get them in. I will definitely visit you at Grand Lake.

I would but I have a feeling Fifi and Toliver are going to put me out of business! :wink:

(I hate emoticons, but sometimes they really are vital!)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

chefrodrigo, we're having an eGullet gathering the evening of 31 March for Cajun food - if you're in town then, join us

Thanks for the invite memesuze.

We are actually headed out of town the morning of the 31st after migas and a trip to CM and won't be back until the following Tuesday. We are coming to Texas for a big bbq tasting but we'll be spending the weekend down on the border.

We didn't realize the food/wine festival would be going on as soon as we arrive so we'll be hiding in Mexico until its over.

Hopefully there will be something else going on while we're there next week. I'd love to have a drink with everyone.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this discussion back up to ask if anyone has tried Morton's Hot Salt? In its ingredients, it lists "spices" like "Chipotle Chili [sic] Pepper and Red Pepper". It doesn't sound like it would have too much of a kick to it, but it's an interesting idea.

1203_hot_salt.gif

Tim Oliver

Have to say I love chipotle in all forms. I know it has been used redundantly, and at times the flavor mishandled to the general public, but the true flavor is a staple in my kitchen.

Others are anchos, pasilla and habaneros.