• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Windward Winners

Bfson

Much of the talk on the board has been on places in Honolulu. How about your favorite place over on the windward side of the island? We've had some incredible meals at Pahke's on the Kam. Hwy just south of the post office in Kaneohe. The owner, Raymond Siu, creates amazing seafood dishes, especially if you order a day in advance. It's our best find in years on that part of Oahu.

Bob Foster, San Diego

Bfson, sorry no one has replied to your query on the Windward side - I guess there aren't a lot of posters in this forum that live there! Sorry I can't really contribute much from personal experience either, since I have to admit I don't get over there too often. . . None of the eating experiences I've had in Kailua or Kaneohe stand out in my memory, though that's probably because I haven't sampled much of what is being offered there. Nor have I had much chance to sample much from the lunchwagons and small shops lining Kam Highway. . .

Pahke's sounds great, considering it doesn't get a lot of press attention. Could you tell me more about the food you've had there?

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

There is that cheesesteak place in Kailua, though I don't remember the name or exactly where it was... Sorry. I pretty much stick to the city--excluding, of course, trips out to Molly's Smokehouse.

Sun-Ki: As the best kosher style Deli in the state, does that mean that it is actually pretty good? Because I have been trying to find matzo ball soup, or a great egg salad sandwich or blintz or an egg cream, or a really good bagel, for what seems like a very long time. Am I going to be satisfied after taking the trip out there?

-Emily

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

Short reply - dunno. I'm basing it on hearsay, though hearsay from multiple sources. The deli is apparently an offshoot of a the similarly-named Brent's Deli in Northridge, SoCal. You might take a look at that website to see if that seems like the right kind of place, though strangely it doesn't refer to the Kailua location . . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 2 months later...

Had lunch at the Crouching Lion last Wednesday after a five year hiatus. They must be cutting corners for some reason, even with all the tourist traffic they get. The teriyaki steak was gristly and fatty and the place needs a coat of paint. The mac nut cream pie was OK though.

Every now and then I go over to Koolau golf course and lunch at Honey's, the setting is casual

and the view is fabulous. Recently - well to me anyway, all menu items have been named after

Hawaiian entertainers which is fun to read each description. I like their "Devil on a Horse" (?)

or something like that name which is a meaty, peppery pastrami rueben, thankfully this is so

flavorful that no mustard is required since all they have it that god awful yellow stuff in a plastic

bottle. It is never very crowded although you will maybe see a small tour van stop for lunch

depending on what time you go. They also serve dinner which I have not been to but considering

the view it wouldn't be remarkable in the dark of night. This Sunday "Uncorked" the benefit

for Hawaii Public Radio is being held there featuring the wines and food of Spain, what a unique

place to eat, drink and take in the beauty of the Koolau mountains from the ballroom windows

which are floor to ceiling.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I'll second the Pahke's recommendation. They changed things a little since the "golden days," but it's still good eats. They had a buffet that was pretty reasonable considering how much you can load up.

For simple hole-in-the-wall goodness, I like Times Coffee Shop on Hamakua Drive. Open early, great for breakfast.

I'm sorry to hear Crouching Lion has deteriorated... Always liked that place.

user posted image HawaiiThreads.com - Let's talk story!