• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Marks Pizza

Stone

It's been replaced by Chickpea, a felafel and shawarma restaurant (remember the "name our restaurant" competition?). For the record, I thought St. Mark's Pizza was passable at best, and usually upset my stomach. But my ex-girlfriend, God bless her, loved it.

Here's their website, though it looks kind of messed up right now:

http://www.name-our-restaurant.com/

Michael aka "Pan"

But you could pick up a pizza and take it to the Grassroots tavern and drink $2.50 pitchers of beer while playing darts. What are they doing to the village? There's a Quiznos on St. Marks in some garish white mall-type place. They're building a glass and steel "expo" center on Houston like this is the fucking West Side Highway. That asshole Ian Schrager is building a hotel at Astor Place that's supposed to look like a pair of pants. What the fuck? Isn't that what the Upper East Side and Jersey is for?

That asshole Ian Schrager is building a hotel at Astor Place that's supposed to look like a pair of pants. What the fuck? Isn't that what the Upper East Side and Jersey is for?

:biggrin::laugh::laugh:

Incorrigible. You are simply.

I think Thomas Wolfe wrote a book with an appropriate title.

Well, if it's any consolation Chickpea is darn good. They make (on site) arguably the best pita in the US and they even offer a whole-wheat pita. The Shawarma is really good too but they only offer Turkey and Chicken (typical in Israel) varieties, no lamb.

Does anybody know how the Quiznos or the Chipotle on St. Marks are doing? It seems like a poor fit but I wonder if they are holding their own.

Is that the same St. Marks Pizza on 3rd Ave that was there in the early 80s? I used to practically live there! (Actually, I lived three blocks away at St Mark's and Ave A.) It wasn't the absolute best pizza, but it was cheesy and tasty, and the price was right.

Sigh. Too bad.

No...

St. Mark's Pizza used to be located on the corner of St. Mark's and 1st Avenue.

I haven't had one of their slices in many years, but they had a following back in the day. (It was ok by my standards but then I'm easy. :blink: )

Soba

Is that the same St. Marks Pizza on 3rd Ave that was there in the early 80s? I used to practically live there! (Actually, I lived three blocks away at St Mark's and Ave A.) It wasn't the absolute best pizza, but it was cheesy and tasty, and the price was right.

Sigh. Too bad.

THAT is the spot I was talking about - not Soba's on 1st.

Is the 3rd Avenue place still open then? You had me scared...

Well, if it's any consolation Chickpea is darn good. They make (on site) arguably the best pita in the US and they even offer a whole-wheat pita. The Shawarma is really good too but they only offer Turkey and Chicken (typical in Israel) varieties, no lamb.

That's more than consolation. It sounds a damn sight better than what used to be there. I'll be sure to try it, and thanks for the report!

Michael aka "Pan"