• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

quick whipped cream question

Ling

I just made a cheesecake for my friend's b-day tomorrow. It has a sour cream topping, and then I did a white chocolate and dark chocolate ganache swirl on top of the sour cream. The thing is, the dark chocolate bled into the white chocolate and the whole cheesecake looks like crap now!

How should I disguise this? I was thinking of putting whipped cream all over the top to hide the mess. If I whip the cream tonight and put it on the cooled cheesecake, will the whip cream hold (i.e. not separate and get watery) until tomorrow night?

Hmm, whipped cream doesn't go well with cheesecake IMHO. How about coating the cake entirely in a chocolate ganache or maybe even just the top, or dusting the top with cocoa powder and then a few dashes of confectioners sugar with some type of abstract design?

Joe

The problem is, I already have that white and dark chocolate ganache layer on my cheesecake. Wouldn't the dessert be very sweet if I added even more chocolate ganache on top?

I like the cocoa and icing sugar idea, but will it hide the ganache underneath?

That's probably the best approach especially if your friends are like mine where there is an unspoken grading system. :)

BTW the cocoa would have easily hidden the mess BUT you also have to be careful not t put on too much . Everytime somone take's a bite they usually take a breath and may inhale some cocoa. That has disastrous effects on the ejoyment of your desert. The piece will usually end up coughed across the room. :laugh:

The cheesecake already has a sour cream topping layer.

I've decided to feed the ugly cheesecake to my family and bake my friend another one. Thanks for all the help!

Good decision! I'm sure your family is happy with their unexpected treat.

I don't know that much about cheesecake, but would it have been possible to scrape the offending layer off, and add a new one??

Hmm, whipped cream doesn't go well with cheesecake IMHO. How about coating the cake entirely in a chocolate ganache or maybe even just the top, or dusting the top with cocoa powder and then a few dashes of confectioners sugar with some type of abstract design?

Joe

wow, just tell that to the people at the "cheesecake factory" restaurants...that's the only accompaniment they use with their cheesecake (not to say that they are experts on cheesecake or anything...but they do make money off of them).

You can also make whipped cream that will hold fine for up to 48 hours if you whip it correctly. There is no need for gelatin or stabilizers. Start the cream on low and gradually turn up the speed until you reach soft peaks. Add the sugar then and turn to high. Your cream will not fall or separate for days.

I also serve whipped cream with many types of cheesecake!