• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stockton butcher

I read somewhere on egullet about a Saveur article that featured a butcher shop in Stockton NJ, but had no luck searching. Does this ring any bells with anyone..I'd like to check it out.

I didn't see it, but on their website there is this description under their November 2003 features:

The Butcher's Art

The cutting and preparing of meat is an old-fashioned craft, and the artisans who practice it are a dying breed. But at one shop in rural New Jersey, the old ways remain very much alive-for now. By Kathleen Brennan

Maybe that's it?

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I read somewhere on egullet about a Saveur article that featured a butcher shop in Stockton NJ, but had no luck searching. Does this ring any bells with anyone..I'd like to check it out.

That NJ butcher shop was profiled in their November issue. I have it at home and will try to dig it up for you when I get back from work. For future inquiries regarding Saveur, give their office a call and they'll help you find the shop. They are great about helping subscribers and readers seek out information about past issues.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Thank you all so much! You guys are the A-team...Suzi, thanks for the offer, but the name and location ( and hours, thanks Suzanne! : :smile: ) is enough info.

Dbrociner, any specialties, or just all round good butchering to be found? Any interesting cuts or "different" meats?

Hey guys. . just wanted to drop in with some info.

I grew up in the the Sergeantsville/Lambertville area and use to go see these guys with my father. Its where we would get a lot of our meats and my father would stop in to chat them up.

Directions from Flemington NJ: Take Rt 523 towards Sergeantsville. You'll know you've arrived when you hit the flashing red light at the intersection. (there's a general store on your right and a tavern/restaurant across the street) Proceed through the light and about a 1/2 mile (or less) on your left you'll find Maresca's.

If you want to check out some good wines while in the area, head further down 523 into Stocton. When you get into stockton (523 will drop you on the main drag) take a right onto Bridge St. Park immediately and on your right you'll see Phillip's. Its been there a while and Dickey (owner) has some winners. From here you can cross the bridge and head to Doylestown PA or get back on the main drag and head along the river (NJ side) to Lambertville.

Warning: this part of NJ might be too rural/suburban/farmy for some people. In reality, its a side of NJ that if word got out how sweet it is, we'd be even more densely populated of a state.

Dbrociner, any specialties, or just all round good butchering to be found? Any interesting cuts or "different" meats?

Kim, I buy the dry aged steak(porterhouse, ribeye) and it is wonderful and at very reasonable prices for this quality of meat. I have also bought a stuffed pork shoulder roast, some very good cold cuts, premade chili and pulled pork in bbq sauce and fresh baked bread. If only they weren't closed on Sunday and Monday, my only 2 days off during the week, I'd be there all the time. Its worth the 45 minute drive from my house in Warren.

Joe and Emil are wonderful gentlemen and this is an end of an era. When I first moved to Skunktown (the former name of Sergeantsville), they were still raising their own beef, pork and chickens and having them butchered. They would also bring in full sides to hang and butcher on sight. Now, as age has taken away some of their strength and abilities and with the populations relying on grocery stores for their meat, they now buy mostly smaller cuts of meats. Gone are the days (less than ten years ago) when I could request them to dry age and hang an entire strip loin for me(6 weeks) and then have them clean it up and then I could go home and cut my own size strips. They are great people who have worked hard for their customers and the community. Sadly no children or apprentices to take over for them!

I try to go there at least once every few weeks for something: store made Bangers, chicken, Parmesan cheese, their store made Pate Louise, store made jerky, etc. They still will custom cut and make some speacialty items

If you get to the area, patronize them and get a feel what the old days must have been like! It is still a place to trade stories, gossip and have a butcher take personal care of you unlike the grocery store experience!

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

WOW...certainly this little gem deserves the accolades and interest it has received. I spokw with the "Laurel" brother, who was shuffling around. He was so warm and friendly, answered my questions, and was welcoming when he heard I was moving to the area. I bought some wonderful fresh chorizo, lean and flavorful. I got a bit of blue cheese, only becasue I was not near Wegman's...and it was well wrapped and fresh. I also got some pancetta, and have my shopping list ready for a return trip this weekend. He only stocks the choice aged steaks Th-Sat.

I think what was interesting is that when I came in and told him it was my first visit, he started to explain that the cases are somewhat empty, but they have the inventory in the back and will cut what I need, they don't "chop them all up" until a customer orders..his little speech was, I'm sure, to educate the visitor that is used to expansive cases at Shop Rite.

Thank you all who contributed to this thread..these guys deserve a lot of business.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Rosie Posted on Mar 15 2004, 06:55 AM

m(a)ce--I love that part of NJ. Any recommendations for dining in that area besides Sergeantsville Inn?

Hey Rosie. . .and all. . .

In response to where to eat in the area:

I would have to suggest "the cafe" in rosemont. its an old general store that screams country charm. Brunch is tasty and wednesday night is local's night. the theme on wed is drive locally, eat globally. each week they spotlight a different country/region and have prix fixe menu. its a byob. (on the corner of 604 and 519; at the light in sergeantsville, take a right instead of going straight towards the butcher; take this road through the covered bridge and up to rosemont. you can't miss it -- its the only place to eat in rosemont) cafe at rosemont website (but it doesn't seem to be working right now).

In stockton, you could stop at meils (across from phillip's wine) for some tasty latkes.

In lambertville is one of our favorite local places to eat. its a place of our love and we have numerous food memories. check out the hamilton grill. always the sure shot. the apps are always great (our favorite is the grilled shrimp with anchovy butter). the beef/pork/fish/etc are tasty/fresh/grilled perfectly. the starch/veggie served with entree are good (but not overly exciting). its a popular byob so make your reservations. sit at the grill bar seats and chat up mark and watch him work the grill. for dessert leave red wine and room for the flourless chocolate cake. Jim Hamilton's daughter has gone on to open Prune in NY, where she serves the shrimp w/ anchovy butter).

if you want to make the night enjoyable, arrive early and stop at the boathouse, in the courtyard next to the grill room. get your drink on - but not too much, there's a 3 drink maximum!

the other places to check out in lambertville is siam (thai). consistently good and comfortable.

hope this gives you some places to check out! in a month or so you can drive a little further and check out our place to treat your sweet tooth -- a post to follow when we open.

"I spokw with the "Laurel" brother, who was shuffling around. He was so warm and friendly, answered my questions, "

That was Joe and the other brother is Emil.

They are wonderful GENTLEmen and will try their best to get you what you want. It is one of the last of the type, imho, in the this fast paced world of Super Market, so called, butcher shops.

Enjoy them while you can!!

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover