• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE worst food tv commercial ever....

lia

I detest the "Got Milk?" commercial...the one where the little kid is sitting on the step and has a big spoon of peanut butter and a thing of milk..and there's a dog sitting next to him; he finishes his milk, still has peanut butter left, so he gives it to the dog. I hate the whole stupid thing esp. the dumb music that accompanies it. Not only that, I hate milk too...gee, I"m hateful today, LOL :huh:

Speaking of Kool Aid, do you ever catch an old 70's version of the commercial on Unwrapped or something where the big ass pitcher with the bright orange polyester slacks smashes through the bowling alley wall? We kids put up with some scary commercials back then.

The Kool-Aid Man always reminds me of a schoolyard put-down:

"Your mama is so fat...

When she wears red, people yell, "Hey, Kool-Aid!"

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

as far as canadian commericials go, that one for some kind of bread with the three brothers that sing that annoying song that goes "together!" i remember it really getting on my nerves over the summer. this was in montreal.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

• 4 years later...

Current worst food commercials ever:

That dumbass Pizza Hut switches its pasta for that in the fancy Italian restaurant -- where everyone is waxing rhapsodic on hidden camera about their pasta saying things no real person would ever say about Pizza Hut pasta.

That dumbass Soy milk commercial where all the women are in the kitchen having a soy milk party, also saying things no real person would say when faced with 29 different flavors of flippin' soy milk. If you substituted heroin for the soy milk, the dialogue might make more sense.

The Burger King twofer: the asses in the foam rubber burger costumes and the "we got rid of the whopper" bullshit.

Current worst food commercials ever:

That dumbass Pizza Hut switches its pasta for that in the fancy Italian restaurant -- where everyone is waxing rhapsodic on hidden camera about their pasta saying things no real person would ever say about Pizza Hut pasta.

That dumbass Soy milk commercial where all the women are in the kitchen having a soy milk party, also saying things no real person would say when faced with 29 different flavors of flippin' soy milk.  If you substituted heroin for the soy milk, the dialogue might make more sense.

The Burger King twofer: the asses  in the foam rubber burger costumes and the "we got rid of the whopper" bullshit.

I have no comment on your post, but I'm a huge fan of your avatar.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Dignan Lives, Brother Johnny!

The whole Burger King ad campaign, in my opinion, is pretty terrible. They actually seem to have four seperate attacks: The foam rubber food people; the took away the whopper; one just featuring the food (I imagine a meeting were some ad guy says, "You know? That's so crazy, it just might work!"); and the King.

I didn't list the King because, while I agree it's pretty creepy, it doesn't raise my temperature like the other ones do. Plus there was one where he was scoring a touchdown in a football game that I may have smiled at.

Good luck beating this  :biggrin:

Well! I don't know if that's the worst commercial ever made. Certainly one of the weirdest I've ever seen but I don't think it's the worst. I'll let you know if I think of the worst one I've seen. Oh, and the BK king is definitely creepy.....

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

BK is scary. Like clowns.

And SOOOO nauseating are the Hardee boys---any age---who scarf down those enormous, too-tall-for-the-mouth drippy burgers.

And I just CRINGE when a salad place/grocery store/any dining establishment commercial uses fresh produce either immersed in water or with great splashes of water descending on it, or someone giving it a fling so the water showers everywhere. Wet lettuce---ewww.

I didn't know that Jodorowsky did Estonian commercials back in the day! :laugh:

Nice reference! DEFINITELY either Jodorowsky or Coffin Joe.....

I don't know if they can be considered the "worst" of all time, but I really, really hate most Olive Garden commercials. There is an especially annoying one right now where a kid is taking his grandfather out to dinner and has to tell him "Have whatever you want Grandpa! And have ALL you want!". The weird, manic tone of the commercial makes me think the next words out of his mouth are going to be "because tommorrow you're going to THE HOME!". Something about people going ape over things like shells stuffed with fake crab and smothered in sausage and cheese sauce is so wrong on so many levels......

Edited to add: And you do not, DO NOT even want to get me started on the "yogurt wenches"........."Oh, THIS YOGURT is girls-only weekend good!"...."It's walking on the beach good!"......

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I didn't know that Jodorowsky did Estonian commercials back in the day! :laugh:

Nice reference! DEFINITELY either Jodorowsky or Coffin Joe.....

I don't know if they can be considered the "worst" of all time, but I really, really hate most Olive Garden commercials. There is an especially annoying one right now where a kid is taking his grandfather out to dinner and has to tell him "Have whatever you want Grandpa! And have ALL you want!". The weird, manic tone of the commercial makes me think the next words out of his mouth are going to be "because tommorrow you're going to THE HOME!". Something about people going ape over things like shells stuffed with fake crab and smothered in sausage and cheese sauce is so wrong on so many levels......

Edited to add: And you do not, DO NOT even want to get me started on the "yogurt wenches"........."Oh, THIS YOGURT is girls-only weekend good!"...."It's walking on the beach good!"......

Yes! Two good ones. Those flippin' Olive Garden commercials. The couple: "We're treating ourselves tonight!" How about a lobotomy? My treat!

And the yogurt one is a second cousin to the soy milk one I metioned, with the soy milk going for a drama angle while the yogurt one is all coquettish.

Hate em all.

Edited by Dignan (log)

Wow! Truth and realism in advertising. Strange how an accurate depiction of so many products we eat can invoke such revulsion.

-----

'Chicken Tonight' is pretty vile, and everyone who lives in an English speaking country seems to have been assaulted by it.

Yes!  Two good ones.  Those flippin' Olive Garden commercials.  The couple: "We're treating ourselves tonight!"  How about a lobotomy?  My treat!

They are eating at Olive Garden. A lobotomy would be redundant.

I currently despise the Hardee's commercial where the guy makes biscuits and his friends ignore him. The tag line is "guys don't bake." Yeah, I guess testosterone makes it impossible for a man to do anything besides drink beer and watch TV.

Any of the Sonic commercials with the guys or the couple in the car; the are stupid, inane and certainly don't make you want to eat there

OR

Weinerschnitzel - the food looks beyond gross.

PS I agreee on the BKing commercials - that King is jsut plain creepy.

Yes!  Two good ones.  Those flippin' Olive Garden commercials.  The couple: "We're treating ourselves tonight!"  How about a lobotomy?  My treat!

They are eating at Olive Garden. A lobotomy would be redundant.

I currently despise the Hardee's commercial where the guy makes biscuits and his friends ignore him. The tag line is "guys don't bake." Yeah, I guess testosterone makes it impossible for a man to do anything besides drink beer and watch TV.

That one kinda pissed me off. There was homophobic undertone was all too obvious.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

ok I dont get to watch a lot of TV but I think I just saw it ...am I wrong or is that commercial ...(some sort of Lays chips in small bags) ...with that little pissed off man accusing his wife of buying the small bag of chips because he is miniature ...that has to be worst of the worst commercials ....

why on earth do they think that will sell chips?

ETA that Burger King is very creepy I agree so is that Jack in the Box thing with the plastic ball head

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Okey dokey, new contender.......the new Pizza Hut commercials where people are attending a "New York City Pasta Tasting" and are suckered a la Folgers crystals into eating Pizza Hut Toscani pastas.....which are of course loved by all. I guess MAYBE if Rocco's place was still open they could pull that off.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Okey dokey, new contender.......the new Pizza Hut commercials where people are attending a "New York City Pasta Tasting" and are suckered a la Folgers crystals into eating Pizza Hut Toscani pastas.....which are of course loved by all.  I guess MAYBE if Rocco's place was still open they could pull that off.....

I mentioned that one in my thread reopener above! Yes, it's absolutely flippin stupid!

we don't have "TV" at our home, so I have to get my advertising fix at places like Youtube...

here's the one that creeps me out lately, yet is oddly fascinating. The product itself is ridiculous, but the

is really uncomfortable to watch. All I can think of is sweaty lime butt and gym socks, UNAPPEALING to the nth degree!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Okey dokey, new contender.......the new Pizza Hut commercials where people are attending a "New York City Pasta Tasting" and are suckered a la Folgers crystals into eating Pizza Hut Toscani pastas.....which are of course loved by all.  I guess MAYBE if Rocco's place was still open they could pull that off.....

absolutely. when I saw this topic float to the top, that's the first ad I had in my mind. Yeah, sure Pizza Hut's pasta tastes so good dozens of people wouldn't know the difference. Sure.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 2 weeks later...

oooh, oooh, oooh! May I play?

The one w/ the mother/daughter sitting at the table deciding they need a little some thing extra on what ever dessert type product they are eating so in comes this bizarre super-hero type character called "Captain Reddy!" The bozo looks like a drop out of Hammer and Nail technical school in tights, mask, and cape w/ holsters full of some sort of non-dairy whipped acetylene type product (if memory serves it is Reddy-Whip).

Just the thought of the commercial makes my skin crawl and my nerves jangle.

Honorable mention goes to the Wendy's commercials w/ the guys wearing the Wendy flip up red wig. Some times you just ask your self, why? Dave Thomas would be doing somersaults in his grave. If I was in charge of marketing for Wendy's I would simply bring back the old Dave Thomas ads and at the end of every one flash, "in memory of Dave Thomas". People would flock to the joint.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.