• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE worst food tv commercial ever....

lia

Don't think I've caught this one. What is it exactly that makes it the worst ever? (The competition is fierce.)

hmmm....now let's see if have it right.....it's a supermarket tasting, and the fries taste so good there aren't words to describe them? so the scary manic announcer and the scary central casting shoppers are all shouting nonsense words like the waffle may may and franka nooby ones i posted earler.

Could well be regional. McCains is a Canadian company, but I think they are the world's largest french fry producer. They do it in umpteen countries. Their Canadian commercials are pretty straight ahead.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Never seen it here in Ottawa.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

me.

The worse food commercial I've ever watched was a MacDonalds commercial. Actually, it was the circumstances under which I watched it that made it so horrible. I had decided to cook a beef tongue, using Julia's recipe, and I had picked up the whole tongue , and I do mean whole as in my butcher whacked off the tongue, wrapped it in butcher's paper and gave it to me. After trimming it I put in my stock pot and set it to simmer. I then went back in the living room and sat down, and started to watch the TV. Over the space of an hour and a half I began showing symptoms of stomach flu, half an hour after that I was flat out on the sofa asking the Lord to please take me, Now! Then the timer in the kitchen went off, and I staggered out into the kitchen, and confronted the beef tongue. A beef tongue in its natural state even after being simmered is not attractive. So, I opened the back door, and threw the pot, tongue and all out into the yard. I then went back into the living room and collapsed onto the sofa, just as the MacDonalds commercial came on. It was where every ingredient of a big Mac, comes down from the top of the screen and bounces a couple of times before settling on the other layers. When the special dressing came down and splashed all over the burger I went into the bathroom and splashed all over the floor.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Don't think I've caught this one. What is it exactly that makes it the worst ever? (The competition is fierce.)

ok, *this* McCain's golden fries ad is the worst ad ever:

(wife and nother-in-law in living room, talking about how you should try the fries 'naked', i.e., with just salt. hubby emerges from shower, wearing a towel. he stands behind counter, and m-i-l is convinced he's nude.)

Husband: "Hey honey, is that a new shampoo we're using? Because it smells like... (notices Mother-in-Law) Oh hey, Mean Jean, didn't see you there."

(mother-in-law flees apartment in terror, husband makes doofus look at wife, they eat Mccain's golden crisp french fries.)

this is for real, unfortunately, and only available in english Canada. :smile::blink::laugh:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

McCain's Golden Crisp fries.    frankanooby,  waffle may may,    shoot me now if i see this one more time.

I hate the damn commercial! It drives me nuts!

(As for regional stuff, I see it on CTV all the time.)

EDIT: I also can't stand the delisio vs. delevery commercials. If someone argued with me like that I'd throw the f***ing pizza out the window!

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

McCain's Golden Crisp fries.    frankanooby,   waffle may may,    shoot me now if i see this one more time.

I hate the damn commercial! It drives me nuts!

(As for regional stuff, I see it on CTV all the time.)

EDIT: I also can't stand the delisio vs. delevery commercials. If someone argued with me like that I'd throw the f***ing pizza out the window!

Again, fortunately I have never been exposed to this advert either, which I gather concerns pizzas. I also do not recognize the brands "delisio" or "delevery" which I gather is also a good thing.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Lia, what part of the world are you in?

NYC.

and thanks for the backup itch22, I was all ready to apologize for not doing the proper research before posting an extemporaneous opinion....

I also can't stand the delisio vs. delevery commercials.  If someone argued with me like that I'd throw the f***ing pizza out the window!

Here in the Heartland the ad goes, "It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno." Highly obnoxious -- especially the one with Dick Vitale, who is barely tolerable under the best of circumstances.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

here in northern nj

it is just soooooooo annoying and the central casting actors are just so - perky. kinda like gerbils on uppers

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I also can't stand the delisio vs. delevery commercials.  If someone argued with me like that I'd throw the f***ing pizza out the window!

I hate that one! Two losers sitting on the sofa, one says to the other "I can't believe this isn't delivery!"

Gimmeabreak! Unless you've been ordering your pizzas from Cardboard-Crust-R-Us, you can tell the freakin' difference!! And maybe the fact your buddy brought the pizza out from the kitchen, and the doorbell never rang might'a tipped you off??

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

here in northern nj

it is just soooooooo annoying and the central casting actors are just so - perky. kinda like gerbils on uppers

That's better than the Quiznos hamster-creatures on downers.

They're spongemonkies. And I love them.

Gourmet Anarchy

Speaking of Kool Aid, do you ever catch an old 70's version of the commercial on Unwrapped or something where the big ass pitcher with the bright orange polyester slacks smashes through the bowling alley wall? We kids put up with some scary commercials back then.

here in northern nj

That's better than the Quiznos hamster-creatures on downers.

mark, sweetie

at least the quiznos spongmonkeys HAVE some personality. they are more like gerbils on acid than downers, anyway

have i mentioned i HATE perky?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Speaking of Kool Aid, do you ever catch an old 70's version of the commercial on Unwrapped or something where the big ass pitcher with the bright orange polyester slacks smashes through the bowling alley wall? We kids put up with some scary commercials back then.

He was hopped up on Red Dye #3.

Oh Yeaaaah!

Hey Kool-Aid!

Hate the McCains fry commercial. But the ad agency would probably love that we're even talking about it!