• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Junior's

SobaAddict70

You might submit to a char-broiled burger or some sticky barbecue shrimp or a pastrami sandwich or a chicken-fried steak. You might eat coleslaw and drink black coffee and talk through the indignities of a week's work at the D.M.V. on Rockwell Place. You might pick at the steak fries because they aren't very good, and you might drink rail bourbon and think it delicious.

Junior's (Sam Sifton) (from this weekend's NYTimes DIGEST update. You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Junior's

386 Flatbush Avenue Extension (DeKalb Avenue)

(718) 852-5257

Soba

Went there with bergerka, Fat Guy and Ellen for Valentine's Day. Had the "something different," which is a sandwich made with brisket and two potato pancakes instead of bread. It was fun food and an interesting time. This was my favorite part of the article:

A young man . . . said he was there to meet his mother . . .  "She's a large woman," he said, putting his arms out a foot or so from his sides. "Big woman."

The man seating people smiled and shook his head at the same time . . . "You better go look yourself," the man seating people told the young man, sweeping his arm to indicate the breadth of the room. "Because, you know, we got a lot of women fit that description."

--

• 3 years later...

Time to revive this thread.

After playing piccolo on a Brooklyn Youth Chorus concert at Long Island University tonight, I crossed Flatbush and had dinner at Junior’s, for the first time in many years. Afterwards, I could only wonder why I had waited so long. For a cup of comforting split pea soup, a delicious tongue sandwich, and two iced teas, plus a side of gracious service and an atmosphere of celebration that left a smile on my face, I paid $21 including tip. It’s no wonder that this establishment is a landmark and still a favorite with people out for a good time.

Michael aka "Pan"

My favorite is their strawberry shortcake. When you get it takeout, it's packaged in a large wide plastic bowl w/lid, typically used in food service for salad--except in this instance, it's packed with fresh whipped cream frosted cake with sliced strawberries, and in a smaller container, macerated strawberry sauce. All plastic salad containers should be so lucky!

• 2 years later...

I was at a party last night where someone had brought a pineapple cheesecake from Junior's. It was delicious, and I had seconds.

Michael aka "Pan"

I keep meaning to test the Junior's outpost in Grand Central Station against the original.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When I was in NYC last October, we had lunch at Juniors across from the Marriott in Times square. It wasnt my choice( we were being treated by a friend who lived in NJ), but it was tasty. I'm sure I've eaten at the Brooklyn location when I was a kid( my parents are from Brooklyn), but I have no recollection of that. Is the Times square location new? Any opinions?

For the record, the cheesecake yesterday came from the Brooklyn flagship. I really can't say anything about the outposts.

Michael aka "Pan"

Is the Times square location new?  Any opinions?

It opened about 4 years or so ago, I think. I remember because I was working at Rockefeller Center at the time. Even if the food is identical, there's no way they could match the original for fabulousness. I liked going to Junior's for Sunday brunch when I lived in Brooklyn.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 1 month later...
[...]Is the Times square location new?  Any opinions?

Yeah. After today, I have the following opinion: The 45th St. location sucks; don't go there! I ordered a tongue sandwich, had two bites of it, and found it so disgusting that it was literally nauseating. To his credit, our waiter graciously replaced it with the turkey sandwich I requested as a substitute (I figured they were unlikely to ruin turkey, and they didn't, though it was nothing to write home about). For the sake of completeness, I'll also mention that my cup of matzo ball soup was mediocre.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"