• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Herb Garden State?

I've been thinking about having a herb garden for years now, well, ok, decades and was wondering what's the easiest herb to grow in Northern New Jersey. Either outside or in. Besides mint, of course :)

I am a pretty big fan of cilantro but from what I hear cilantro is tough to grow, especially in our climate.

The easiest herb, without a doubt, is mint. Plant one little mint plant, and next year you will have your own mint jungle. Its worse than a weed...I make my own mint ice cream, mint tea, mint juleps and mojitos, and mint jelly.

Other than that, I would have to say thyme. Grows like crazy...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Cilantro grows well, but then dies down almost as quickly. Parsley grows well, keep cutting off the top most leaves and more keep coming up from the bottom. Ditto with basil. I'm trying to fill the dead patches of lawn in the backyard with mint as a ground cover. Thyme grows OK, but doesn't seem to like my garden. Same with Rosemary. Sage grows well though.

there are many herbs and edible flowers that grow well in northern new jersey-

parsley, lemon balm. lemon verbena,chervil, sage,thyme, oregano, basil(all types), rosemary, scented geraniums, nasturiums, lavender-the list goes on-

in the spring and summer i have a beautiful-albeit small herb garden-

there are many online online sources as wll as local nurseries.-

joanne