• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Cinnamon Leaves

Schneier

On a recent vacation in The Seychelles I collected a pile of cinnamon leaves. This isn't the bark they export, but the more flavorful leaves that they use themselves.

Anyone have any idea what to do with them?

One dish I saw had four leaves added to a mild yellow curry. They add flavor during cooking, and then are removed (like bay leaves). An idea I had was to add them to a pork chops and apple cider recipe that I make.

Bruce

What about using them to flavor a tagine?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Second above suggestions, plus Iranian style koresh (sp?) stews. In medieval Europe and the near east, both the dried bark and flowerbuds of cinnamon were used. The bark was refered to as "canal" (tubes) and hence the modern Spanish for cinnamon.

A rhubarb and veal koresh would be great, but also you could consider desserts. Maybe a Catalan cream type thing.

I am jealous of your leaves.

I was also wondering how you got them in past the beagles.

I also have to confess that I have never heard of using cinnamon leaves in cooking. (But then, I am a mere toddler in these cuisines.) Do they really taste of cinnamon bark or are there some nuances that differentiate?

All I know at this point is that I want some. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fascinating! I've never heard of cinnamon leaves before. I'm interested in how different they are from the bark.

As to everybody with the mock shock and outrage in the importation, I don't think there is actually a import problem for dried leaves. Think of all the tea and coffee that get brought back into the country by tourists all the time. I think the issues on import are live and viable stuff that might harbor disease. Once something has been dried like bay leaves, I don't think it is an issue the beagle minders would care about.

Talk about chilling effects in action, looking at the reactions here makes me think hmmm...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I dunno. Look at the ban on Szechuan pepper. I am not sure where we are on live plants versus dried products. I do know that dried peppers come in with a load of critters. That is why mine go into the freezer to kill off the buggers.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Could you add a few to a bag of sugar to have a "cinnamon nuanced sugar". Are these dried or fresh? If dried, can you run them through a spice mill or is the whole idea that they are used whole?

gingerly... That is an interesting site. Regarding the article that comes up with your link, amazingly, I heard last week about cinnamon controlling blood sugar. I had Fox News on and it was the segment with the old-guy doctor. He was saying that it does seem to work and needs further study and that at least it can't hurt. But the article does state that you have to use the leaves. I don't think the old doc got that part.

Has anyone looked for a source here? Is there a potential market for the Sri Lankans lurking out there?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

But the article does state that you have to use the leaves. I don't think the old doc got that part.

actually none of the several reports i've come across mention the leaves being used at all-hmm-a race to the patents office ..you think? :cool: