• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

san francisco four stars

mikeczyz

michael bauer refers to la folie as a four star restaurant in his latest restaurant write up. the san francisco chronicle website has la folie listed under the four star link yet the review it takes you to eventually gives teh restaurant three stars. does anyone know if it's been re-reviewed since the 1997 write up, and if so, how to access the column?

mike

Sorry, I can't speak to the link but can say it's my favorite restaurant. If you can't get the review, you at least have one satisfied customer's word!

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

One of my favorites has been the roasted loup de mer with truffled gnocchi and wild mushrooms. My friend gets all dreamy-eyed remembering the duck he had with the poached pear stuffed with Camarague (sp?) rice. Sigh.

i had the loup de mer. i remember it being salty.

mike

I am a fan of the salty snacks so that could explain. The wild mushroom reduction was quite intense though not too salty for me.

Well, I thought I might be able to get to the bottom of this by contacting MB and this is the outcome:

The gate goes back to the origial review. I did a round up several years

ago where it earned 4 stars.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 9:40 AM

To: Bauer, Michael

Subject: La Folie discrepancy online

I notice that in the thumbnail it gets 4 stars, but in the actual

review only 3 1/2, what gives?

Still, I don't quite understand the discrepancy--the rating should be consistent with the most recent review. Maybe it will change given the attention it's drawn...