• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Trip to Paris - Merged topics

Girl415

:laugh::laugh:

Wendy, L'Astrance is a lovely space, though small. I am confidant that you would like it, but then I thought you would like WD-50 :unsure: It is more adventurous than many other Parisian restaurants. Frankly, if I were going back there right now to do what you are going to do, I would go to L'Astrance for lunch and have the menu surprise, an excellent value, then do The Bristol for the special dinner. Unfortunately, my experience of The Bristol is only vicarious :sad:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

L'Astrance is more like Arzak than WD-50. That was my best meal in Paris. I haven't been to eiher of the others, but based on Molto E's incredible, but unfortunately now lost photos, I would have to suggest that you consider Le Bristol as one of your possibilities.

I would highly recommend the Bristol and if you are going to do it contact Raphael Courant the manager of the restaurant and tell him the of the occasion. My puppy ate the power cord to my hard drive so I can not get to my pictures until the end of next week, but I will repost the Bristol.

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

little ms. foodie.

i started the last string on "where to go in Paris"... and go excellent advice - which i should have taken more seriously. i didn't but regret not going and should have gone to bristol. :sad:

it was highly recommended by all and i even had reservations but cancelled. carre des feuillants was also an excellent deal at 65E for lunch. :raz:

i had a disappointing meal at le cinq... take it for what it's worth (i wrote about it somewhat here. :angry:

u.e.

p.s. happy b-day!

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I may be the biggest fan of Le Grand Vefour on this whole site, but it doesn't sound like quite the right place for this particular occasion. It is fairly romantic, just a hair stodgy, and (most importantly) only a good value for lunch. There's a huge difference in their lunch menu vs. full degustation menu pricing -- the lunch menu is a screaming deal while the full tasting menu is not (the guy sitting next to me at lunch was having the degustation and the biggest difference I could see was that he was paying 350% of what I was). Plus, you'd want to have a walk in the Palais Royal garden first while it was light outside. Of course, if you can also talk your husband into a romantic lunch on this trip, well then... :biggrin:

I've made my non-fandom re: Le Meurice perhaps too well known, but I think that even its biggest supporters would say it is decidedly stodgy and quite formal. And they definitely are not giving it away there...

I suggest you consider Le Pre Catalan (and it even has a "the"!). It's a hair on the romantic (almost girly even, but you shouldn't let that put you off...) side, but it's great food, warm service, and their seasonal tasting menu felt like a very good deal when I went (although, fair warning, that was also a lunch, so you might want to check if they change the prices for dinner ... I don't think they do). It was an absolute avalanche (maybe the largest meal I've ever eaten!) of very delicious food and an impressive, non-confiscatory wine list. The cuisine is traditional French with some nice modern touches

Traditional cuisine with a hint of flare? Check

Not too stodgy? Check

Not over the top romantic? Check (it's certainly not "over the top")

Good value of cuisine and service for the money? I sure thought so.

But I will say that those pictures of Le Bristol absolutely blew my mind. Add me to the growing list of the mighty curious....

Whatever you do, for all that's sacred and good and kind in the world, ney, on innocence of my new born babe - whatever you do, don't - if you value for the very existence of your soul - don't go to L'Ambroisie!

It would be a catastrophic mistake that you may never recover from. A dire, terrible, irredeemably traumatic event, after which no person's tremulous psyche can ever find peace again. You will spend the rest of your days standing in corners, muttering in a thorazine induced whisper: "oh god, oh god why did I do it!"

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

. . . - if you value for the very existence of your soul - don't go to L'Ambroisie!

. . . .

While I believe your opinions on food and restaurants deserved some consideration simply on the basis of your demonstrated taste and culinary talents, would you share some of the details behind this opinion with us? I see that Vedat Milor, who I also respect, and who I also disagree with from time to time, has rated his April meal there at 19.5/20, up a half point from the 19/20 he gave his January meal. It's been many years since we've been there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Excellent everyone, thank you!

A few questions regarding Le Bristol- I think they offer 2 tasting menus?? A seasonal and a grand? Can anyone give me an idea of the price on each??

This may be the one!!!

When I dined there, the only tasting menu was a seasonal one. I really would urge you to order some things that catch your eye on the regular menu as well. 33-53--43-43-40/ call Raphael and tell him you saw the pictures of Le Bristol on eGullet and that it is your birthday.

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

A few questions regarding Le Bristol- I think they offer 2 tasting menus?? A seasonal and a grand? Can anyone give me an idea of the price on each??

This may be the one!!!

If you go to the website, they have "The Head Chef's Menu" posted under restaurant. It's a little confusing, but I read it as having a "Season's Menu" at 75E and a "Summer Flavours" menu at 160E. It's obviously not quite up to date since summer is over, but it will give you an idea. There are also some nice photos of both the summer and winter restaurants, and of some of the dishes.

Whatever you do, for all that's sacred and good and kind in the world, ney, on innocence of my new born babe - whatever you do, don't - if you value for the very existence of your soul - don't go to L'Ambroisie!

It would be a catastrophic mistake that you may never recover from. A dire, terrible, irredeemably traumatic event, after which no person's tremulous psyche can ever find peace again. You will spend the rest of your days standing in corners, muttering in a thorazine induced whisper: "oh god, oh god why did I do it!"

I love reverse psychology.... Let's hope it works!

I had actually read many reviews that mentioned how quiet the room here is. Although the food gets high scores I think someplace just a bit less subdued is better?

But it's on my consideration list!

So Moby, perhaps that explains why it's the favorite restaurant of the President of the Republic.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Perhaps John, Alex is correct and Moby really thinks Ambroisie is a slam dunk no brainer choice. It's hard to keep up with young British mind.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

This may be the one!!!

Wendy,

I was lucky enough to have lunch at the Bristol last week and they did have two menus, one for 75 and another for 150 I believe. The meal was amazing to say the least. I had the Poularde de Bresse cuite en vessie with vin jaune and black truffle ravioli which Molto E showed photos of and can safely say it was the most delicious chicken dish I have ever had, without a doubt. And the presentation is spectacular. My first course was Marcaroni stuffed with black truffles, artichoke and black truffles with aged parmesan, which I'm sure you can imagine was incredible as well. The service and setting are also just beautiful. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed.

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Wendy.

I can verify that Felice is right on Bristol's prices.

As for the rest of you... I just got back from a FABULOUS meal at Oud Sluis. Will be doing a write-up soon. In the meantime, what happened on this string with MobyP's L'Ambroisie comment? Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

In the meantime, what happened on this string with MobyP's L'Ambroisie comment?  Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

U.E.

Some are suggesting that this comment was tongue in cheek and reverse psychology. This post may illustrate his true feelings. He certainly brought attention to the restaurant as a consideration for Wendy (or anyone else reading this).

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

much obliged... thanks. relatively new to egullet. :blink:

u.e.

In the meantime, what happened on this string with MobyP's L'Ambroisie comment?  Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

U.E.

Some are suggesting that this comment was tongue in cheek and reverse psychology. This post may illustrate his true feelings. He certainly brought attention to the restaurant as a consideration for Wendy (or anyone else reading this).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

much obliged... thanks.  relatively new to egullet.  :blink:

u.e.

Thanks!

U.E.

No problem. I must admit it wasn't readily apparent at first to me either. As you become more fluent with the technology and familiar with the various posters, it becomes easier to check things and recognize some of the subtleties that make the site ever richer.

One of the aspects that makes this site valuable for me is that over time I can get a sense of different posters and their sensibilities, especially as relates to restaurant and food style preferences. As such I am more likely to relate to a poster who I have been able to gauge over time than I am to someone whose tastes and style I am less familiar with. I still read those reports with avid interest so as to develop a sense of that posters preferences over time and to see how they equate with mine. Of course restaurant and food style preferences are only one thing that makes eGullet a valuable resource. :smile: Topics like this one are good example. People make good arguments for one place or another. As a reader becomes more familiar with various posters, that reader can weight specific advice more readily according to his or her own taste. Of course, even this is no guarantee of a perfect match as so many other variables come into play.

Twitter - @docsconz

Please consider Guy Savoy, of all the mentioned restaurants it's my favourite for both food and service.

Hi Andy, Welcome to eGullet! :smile:

What makes Guy Savoy your favorite?

Twitter - @docsconz

My apologies - I've been away. No, I didn't mean cause a mild furore, only that I keep suggesting L'Ambroisie in these sorts of threads, but so far to no avail. I thought I'd try the reverse tack in the hope of spreading a little culinary pleasure.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Hello l'il ms foodie!

I ate dinner at Le Bristol four days ago (based strongly upon molto... er, Eliot's stunning photojournal, my experience at M. Frechon's previous bistrot, and Pudlowski's rather outright raves). It was, frankly, fabulous. Taillevent has more pomp and circumstance, L'Ambroisie a *slightly* higher level of perfection of technique (in a sort of OCD manner), and Arpege is more conceptual, but the food at Le Bristol just TASTES GOOD. Frechon is a master at intensifying flavors through concentration of similar ingredients (think Ducasse's lobster risotto with lobster stock, lobster meat, lobster butter, etc.), intelligent use of temperature, and balance of sweetness and saltiness. The food is pretty but straightforward: While there's flashy tableside service, much uncovering of silver domes, and the dishes are precisely plated, plates are not crowded or speckled with superfluous garnishes, edible or otherwise.

All that said, I'll try to give you some ups and downs of my particular experience. I'll start with the "downs," which could be more correctly stated as "ways in which Le Bristol differs from Mayur's imaginary perfect restaurant":

1) The room (Salon d'Hiver; the summer room wasn't open when I went) is comfortable and quite luxurious, but (perhaps because this is a hotel restaurant) lacks the defined aesthetic of some other rooms in Paris: Not the cool modernism of Gagnaire, the romance of Le Cinq, or the period dignity of L'Ambroisie.

2) There is a degree of inflexibility regarding the menu. Felice is correct that there are two menus available at lunch (a 75E seasonal menu and the 160E full menu degustation, which is the same as at dinner). However, the a la carte selections at Le Bristol (including the three most impressive dishes I tried: The macaroni, the poularde de Bresse, and the pork with truffles) are all SO fantastic-looking that you will, inevitably, find yourself unable to commit fully to the menu degustation. And it is a full commitment: the restaurant requires that all the people at the table take the menu degustation if it is ordered, and getting substitutions or additional courses requires a bit of diplomacy. (We sneaked in the macaroni, but had to come back separately for the poularde de Bresse.)

Moreover, the restaurant does not do half portions, meaning that if you do order a la carte, you really are limited to two courses plus dessert (and/or cheese). This creates a serious dilemma, as the menu is absolutely worth it and (I hate to say this with regard to a 3-star-level haute cuisine meal!) a good value; ordering a la carte is considerably more expensive.

3) I ate one thing which was less than perfect: My ris de veau (the meat course) was a bit firm on the bottom. However, this may have been more a problem with service than with the kitchen: My girlfriend's, and her sister's, were perfectly prepared, and mine was the last to be served. Given that it was table service, and that the portions were arranged one on top of the other and then fanned, the service platter might simply have been overheated.

So much for the "downsides." Here are my reasons why you should go:

1) Warmth of service. M. Courant is a charming, witty, and I dare say even jolly host with a genuine desire to please. I was there with two young ladies (20 and 24, respectively), one of whom was under the weather and the other of whom had never eaten at a haute cuisine restaurant (let alone one at this level) before, and both of them had a relaxed good time. Thus, for a birthday party, I think it's a great place, especially if you're interested in having a bit more "fun" than at a place like the French Laundry.

2) Warmth of service, Part 2. At the suggestion of another poster here (mdibiaso) I had a chat with the sommelier, Jerome Moreau (ex-Lucas Carton), who turned out to be great fun to spend the evening with. He brought us exceptionally interesting wine pairings (and had a quiz and subsequent discussion on region, grape, vintage, and grower for each one!), showed up with a surprise glass for two courses, provided advice on the menu, and commiserated with my girlfriend's sister on the difficulties of her year abroad in Paris (he lived in London when her age). Thus, not only were the wine service and wines (for value, no less) on par with the best I've ever had (actually, this might be the single best wine service I've ever had), but we had a great deal of fun tasting and discussing our wine. Nor was this particularly intrusive, as I have encountered in some restaurants whose primary focus is the wine list; we had plenty of time and space to concentrate on food and conversation.

3) The food again. To be honest, much as I like the savory courses, Gilles Marechal's desserts were my favorite part of dinner. Really amazing: clever in concept, varied in tastes and textures, and all-out delicious.

Finally, as for "value for money": We had the menu degustation, vintage Laurent-Perrier to start, matched wines of excellent quality, and cognac and Armagnac to finish, all for about 250E a head. I'd say it was worth it!

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

My apologies - I've been away. No, I didn't mean cause a mild furore, only that I keep suggesting L'Ambroisie in these sorts of threads, but so far to no avail. I thought I'd try the reverse tack in the hope of spreading a little culinary pleasure.

Trust me, Moby. Judging from the difficulty I have in getting reservations, LOTS of people are getting to L'Ambroisie.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"