• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Grease Trucks

I searched the Jersey board diligently before posting this…

Anyone been to the Grease Trucks lately? The 3 to 4 to 5 food trucks in the parking lot on College Avenue in New Brunswick that serve up Cheesesteaks, Gyros, and the infamous Fat Cat sandwich and its infinite variations (Fat Moon, Fat Sam etc)

I used to cut high school in Edison and drive to New Brunswick to get a Fat Cat in the 90s before I went to NYU. It was a sandwich that did not mess about -- to eat it you had to stand wide legged like you were about to do a sun salutation, otherwise you'd get sandwich on your kicks.

Hero roll, 2 cheeseburgers, french fries, 2 fried eggs, bacon, lettuce onion tomato, ketchup and hot sauce --- a Fat Cat Especiale from Mr C's. That was my sandwich. Everyone had a sandwich and everyone had a truck. You didn't stray from your truck. The guy who ran the truck must have known 1/2 the undergraduate classes, he greeted you (assuming you were a guy) with a massive handshake that you had to be ready for.

Even in the rain it was no problem, since I was driving Mom's minivan and just opened the tailgate as a shield while I stood bowlegged below.

I've been considering that a run has to be made to this mecca of grease and "low-brow" chow very soon.

Cheers

-MJR, ex-New Jerseyan

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I also had a friend (beanpole) who I went to HS with. He went to rutgers freshman year before transferring to NYU..

The grease trucks definitely helped him out with the Freshman 15.

:wink:

-mjr

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Wow, that sounds like some good eatin'.

Here in Chicago, we had the Burrito Buggy. They served steak-cheese-and-bean or chicken-cheese-and-bean burritos out of the back of a heater truck outside the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. As if the trading pits weren't noisy enough, we had runners & clerks stuffing themselves full of the Buggy's refried beans and then farting up a storm in the trading pits. :shock:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Oh dear... The Grease Trucks! :wacko:

I don't recall buying too many meals from those things - Ken might have had more experience with them. :smile: However, back in our student days, the trucks were lined up on College Avenue itself, across the street from the lot where they're now gathered.

I believe there may have been another truck or two parked further up College Ave., near the dorms.

Even driving through the area nowadays, it still seems strange to see the all the trucks in one place, rather than parked on the street.

those are tasty sandwiches in New Brunswick. along the same lines and a little bit south is the Heartstopper (if i remember right, there's bacon, ham, pastrami, egg, and two cheeses) at Hoagie Haven in Princeton on Nassau St. Hoagie Haven and its nextdoor neighbor and competitor George's Roasters are, after Halo Pub, the best culinary reason to visit Princeton. (and, like Halo Pub but unlike the rest of Princeton, are mind-bogglingly cheap! I often wonder how they stay in business)

First, White Rose System, now this! As I approach the craziness that comes with a milestone high school reunion, more trips down the college memory lane!

Helena, I too was at RU when the trucks were lined up on College Ave. And yes, two of the trucks parked further up near residence halls, Chi Psi fraternity and just before the dining hall, including Mr. C's Munchmobile! I ate part of a Fat Cat just once myself (in pre-vegetarian college days), probably under the same "influence" as the nights we traveled to White Rose. My husband, too, had many more experiences with them than I, with his fraternity brothers. I also seem to recall a truck called "Sunrise."

The grease trucks have shrunk in number, and they lost some of their charm when they moved into the parking lot. They were a welcome alternative for burgers, sandwiches, bagels etc., instead of Brower Commons Dining Hall, as they were quick, convenient and cheap for starving college students. Now that I work on college campuses for a career, and have visited many, I haven't seen a phenomenon quite like them. I remmeber Greasy Tony's too ("no charge for extra grease!").

I think college students have now become more savvy in their food choices, and these places are a a dying breed, which is not necessarily a bad thing!

Casey

Yes, the trucks were out on College Ave, including in front of the dorms, until late one night in my sophomore year when Sunrise (I believe) caught fire. That's when they were all moved "out of harm's way." King of the Road, Mr. C's, Willi's Weenie Wagon (ack!)... ah, yes. Nothing like a gyro with hot sauce in the middle of the night!

mjr_inthegardens... JP Stevens or Edison High? :smile:

Yes, the trucks were out on College Ave, including in front of the dorms, until late one night in my sophomore year when Sunrise (I believe) caught fire. That's when they were all moved "out of harm's way." King of the Road, Mr. C's, Willi's Weenie Wagon (ack!)... ah, yes. Nothing like a gyro with hot sauce in the middle of the night!

mjr_inthegardens... JP Stevens or Edison High? :smile:

JP Stevens, class of '96.

1-2-3 HAWKS!

Brooklyn, NY, USA

These Grease Trucks are also in Bergen County, they patrol Route 17 in Paramus, going up and down the strip malls, and also Route 46 in Little Falls-Wayne-Fairfield. Except up here we affectionately call them "Roach Coaches" :wink:

These Grease Trucks are also in Bergen County, they patrol Route 17 in Paramus, going up and down the strip malls, and also Route 46 in Little Falls-Wayne-Fairfield. Except up here we affectionately call them "Roach Coaches" :wink:

There may be food trucks elsewhere, but "The Grease Trucks" are specific trucks in the College Ave parking lot:

 Mr C's

 Sunrise

 RU Hungry

 Rutgers Cafe

 Hungry Eye

etc

articles about the trucks:

http://www.dailytargum.com/news/2003/03/25...ht-398542.shtml

http://www.fatdarrell.com/home.htm

http://www.injersey.com/day/story/0,2379,630246,00.html

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Gosh, I'm too old to remember if there ever were Grease Trucks parked anywhere around RU! But I do remember Greasy Tonys, Patty's, Old Queenes and the Corner Tavern.

The good old days....

Janbee :rolleyes:

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

My one and only visit to Greasy Tony's was on the night of my graduation ('87) after a major bar crawl with roommates and friends--as I recall, it was somewher around 1:30am. They sold the place only a few years later to make room for the new highrise dorm/retail that's now on the corner of Easton Ave and Somerset, and I've heard rumors that he's now open somewhere in/near Vegas!

I can't say I remember the food (probably a good thing!), but I certainly do remember the guy in his wheelchair (he may have been Tony) taking our order and putting up with a place full of drunk college students!

I assure you that the grease trucks do remain in the lot on College Ave, and that college students have NOT become more discriminating about their eating habits. I now work at RU--trust me! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I searched the Jersey board diligently before posting this…

Anyone been to the Grease Trucks lately? The 3 to 4 to 5 food trucks in the parking lot on College Avenue in New Brunswick that serve up Cheesesteaks, Gyros, and the infamous Fat Cat sandwich and its infinite variations (Fat Moon, Fat Sam etc)

Cheers

-MJR, ex-New Jerseyan

I've hit a couple of the grease trucks. Last time I was in New Brunswick, it seemed like every pizza shop/deli was serving "Fat" sandwiches, at least twenty different versions.

A few years ago, rumor had it that if you finished something like three of those sandwiches within a certain amount of time you got one of your own creation named after you. That might explain the proliferation of sandwiches names and types -- I only remember seeing ten a few years ago. A good grease truck sandwich can be the ultimate eatin-like-a-college-kid indulgence, but a bad grease truck sandwiches is really bad!

-JJG, fellow ex-New Jerseyan

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Curlz, our paths may have crossed back in the day--I graduated in '88.

And obviously, our culinary experiences didn't take away from our college experience, as I also work in higher education (now at Montclair State, but previously at RU, NYU and Cornell). Since I work on a primarily commuter campus now, I'm not sure of our student's dining preferences, but I know that at NYU and Cornell, the student feedback to dining, and subsequent menu changes, definitely leaned toward more healthy than anything I ever ate as an undergraduate (though I'm sure there's difference between eating while under the influence and not!)

I smell a book of some sort--the Highs and Lows of the College Culinary Experience!

Casey

I didn't go to Rutger's (though my parents badly wanted me to), but I know a lot of people who did and they regale me with stories of the grease trucks. I remember being introduced to them while visiting the campus for forensics tournaments, Model UN field trips, chorale competitions, and other geexpeditions. It never failed that one of our chaperones would have gone to Rutger's and would bring us out during lunch with a sacred air: "Behold, the Grease Trucks of Legend..."

The reason I piped in here is that I'm surprised no one has seen all the stories on Fox & UPN News--apparently the trucks have been a recent target of some prim types who have gotten them repeatedly shut down by the public health authorities. The word on the street is that most of them have reopened. Of course, it's possible that this has been a constant struggle since the genesis of the first Grease Truck and that our local news channels are just hitting a new journalistic low...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I do remember Greasy Tonys, Patty's, Old Queenes and the Corner Tavern.

I remember all of those! And the johnny-come-lately "stuff yer face" (which I think opened just as I was graduating in '78). I also remember a hot dog cart right outside Scott Hall - the guy's name was Adam and my roomie and I loved his hot dogs and the amazingly soft, fresh rolls.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Curlz, our paths may have crossed back in the day--I graduated in '88.

Casey

'87 here.

I don't think I ever ate at the greasetrucks before 2 AM! I have a vague memory of Cali cheeseburgers and gyros but I can't remember if they were from Mr. C's or Sunrise. IIRC, they parked right next to each other and we'd pick the one with the shortest line.

I was a fan of Campus Pizza, right next to the Knight Club. It was very convenient to the Easton Ave bars and the pizza was good, drunk or sober.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

EDIT: This post is actually from Curlz...I'm out of town, using my dad's PC, and just noticed that I'm logged in under his screen name. Too funny! :raz:

Okay, for my fellow Rutgers alums, this is a bit off the grease truck topic, but still consistent when it comes to bad RU-related food...my junior and senior years, I had the pleasure of living about 5 houses away from the Ale 'n Wich...MUCH faster to stumble home from there than from Old Queens, and rarely as crowded! But I must say that I'm jealous...the bar and restaurant scene in New Brunswick certainly has improved in the years since we were down there!!! I spent many Friday/Saturday nights at Rhyan's (currently Harvest Moon) b/c it was one of the few places that wasn't too expensive and they had decent food and GREAT music (John Pizzarelli was a regular back then and used to hang out with us)!

But the grease trucks did (and still do) serve their purpose--all part of the real college experience, I suppose...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Ted Task (log)

• 5 months later...