• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas: Indian Restaurants?

ophelie

I haven't been to Dallas in years. However, my work is taking me there again soon. I remember years ago eating in a fairly good Indian restaurant. I have no clue what part of town I was in. However, I haven't had Indian in a while, so can anyone recommend some good places? Non-Indian as well.

I have meetings with some large department stores, so I will be all over the city. And I will have a car rented.

-Ophelie

I have not been to the Clay Pit in Dallas, but some of the Austin eGulleteers had a great time at the one in Austin. As I recall, Suvir Siran spoke highly of the Austin Clay Pit after talking to the chef and manager.

What other types of restaurant or foods are you interested in?

Scott -- DFW has been telling me some places privately. He's out of town right now so he can't respond so I'll give you the places he's been liking:

* Benaka, a vegetarian Indian place with a great buffet on weekends (and maybe lunch?) with a lot of unfamiliar and really good choices

* Kebab n Curry

* India Palace

* Madras Pavilion

Someone from DFW would probably be able to say where these are. I get the impression that the best places aren't actually in Dallas. When I was there last time we didn't do Indian except some grocers and sweets and we went and checked out that huge movie theater and banquet place. Definitely doing Indian when I come down there next. We went to Berkeley which lots of people love for Indian and Scott was totally underwhelmed. I think he likes some of the Indian he's had in Dallas as much as some of the stuff we've had in Chicago.

Thanks for the Indian recommendations, guys. I wouldn't mind getting some GOOD Tex-Mex as well (something I have not really found since I moved to New York a couple of years ago). Any favorites?

-Ophelie

For something Indian, but completely different, I suggest you try Bombay Chinese in Richardson. I posted a review of it here a couple of weeks ago.

For TexMex, I suggest Mia's on Lemmon Avenue or any of the Mi Cocina outlets.

For something Indian, but completely different, I suggest you try Bombay Chinese in Richardson. I posted a review of it here a couple of weeks ago.

THAT sounds interesting. I will seek out that review. Luckily, I have an aunt who I will be visiting (I love mixing business with family/pleasure) and she lives in Richardson. I will make sure to make Bombay CHinese one of our stops since I will be there for a couple of days. I will let you know what we think.

-Ophelie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I ended up staying in Dallas a bit longer than anticipated on business, but managed to squeeze in some fun as well. Thanks so much for the recommendations. I hit two of them and will post in more detail later. A special thanks for the recommendation of Bombay Chinese, which was indeed quite different.

-Ophelie

I hit two of them and will post in more detail later. A special thanks for the recommendation of Bombay Chinese, which was indeed quite different.

-Ophelie

I'm glad you tried it, and I look forward to reading your comments about your meal.

• 5 months later...
* Benaka, a vegetarian Indian place with a great buffet on weekends (and maybe lunch?) with a lot of unfamiliar and really good choices

Bad news. Benaka, which had been one of my favorite Indian restaurants in DFW, closed about a month ago. I'm hoping they relocated, but their web site doesn't say anything about that.

As a consolation prize, a new Indian restaurant has opened in its location (2836 N. O'Connor, Irving, TX)--Masala Grill, which is operated by the people behind Bombay Sweets (on eastbound 183 in Irving). I've only had one meal there--veggie samosas, malai kofta, and veggie biryani--but it was pretty darned solid. Definitely worth a repeat visit for more menu exploration.

Scott

For future reference, I recommend Taj Mahal on Central Expressway at Meadow and India Palace at LBJ and Preston. Both have buffets at lunch and break out the white tablecloth and wait service at dinner. The latter is probably the most expensive in town. Previous poster correct that there's probably some gems in the Richardson/Plano expat communities, but I've not ventured out there.

• 4 years later...

I live in Austin, but am always excited to go to Indika when I'm in Houston. I'll be in Dallas on business soon, and I was wondering if there are comparable Indian restaurants up there? I guess I'm more interested in a skilled and inventive chef than absolutely rigorous "authenticity."

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

To my knowledge there isn't much like Indika here. Clay Pit might be close.  There's been a flurry of fast-casual Indian places opening lately, many of them Chinese/Indian fusion.

Come fall though that may change with Stephen Pyles' new place opening that features small plates from India and South America.

Thanks for the info. I like the Clay Pit here, but I assume the one up there isn't much different.

I'll keep an eye out for the Pyles place; sounds very interesting.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I found a very good place in Irving on Rochelle Rd. off 183 and Beltline. Everest, which offers specifically Himalayan dishes as well as other Indian dishes. It is an inexpensive, small place with an intimate, homey feel - no large industrial buffet space. The menu is lower-priced at lunch, but I have never had anything more than 9.95 for dinner, and that was a large Himalayan sampler. It's worth the drive. An Indian friend recommended it highly. I have taken friends to it twice and all have returned taking others. No website for this restaurant. (A Google search turns up 3 Himalayan restaurants in Irving. I know nothing about the others except what's on their websites.) 

Everest Himalayan/Indian

3310 W Rochelle Rd
Irving, TX