• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roussillon Wine

endless autumn

I have a number of Roussillon wines stacked up waiting for tasting, but I won't be tasting them until I've worked my way through the better producers of the Languedoc. But for your information, the producers I selected included the following:

Cotes du Roussillon and similar wines (as you are travelling to the region I have included the nearest village/town in brackets):

Gauby (Calce)

Domaine Casenove (Trouillas)

Domaine Sarda Malet (Perpignan)

Domaine Vaquer (Tresserre) - don't be put off by the fact that many of these wines are vin de pays and even vin de table - this is a fine producer who simply chooses to work outside the AOC regulations.

Maury:

Mas Amiel

Banyuls & Collioure:

Domaine du Mas Blanc

Domaine la Rectorie

Enjoy your trip

Chris Kissack

thanks chris - I'd had a look at your site but it seemed you were in the process of drinking your way through the roussillon at the moment and hadn't had the time to report back. (Very good suggestions for the Languedoc though - thank you.)

I haven't heard of Dom. Vaquer before so I'll have a look while I'm down there.

(I'm glad to see that we haven't been going too far wrong, though: Casenove is one of our favourites and we dulled the pain of a particularly depressing family party with an excellent - though unready - Gauby Muntada last weekend.)

we dulled the pain of a particularly depressing family party with an excellent - though unready - Gauby Muntada last weekend

This sounds like excellent advice for any family party. I always have a decent red to follow the Champagne that I tend to pour at my children's birthday parties. Do you mind if I ask which vintage of Muntada you drank?

BWs

Chris Kissack

Edited by Chris Kissack (log)

The Muntada was a 2001 - way too early for it to be showing off yet.

They've just started selling it at Majestic and though it's hefty £50 a bottle, it's about the same as in France (if you can get a bottle - all the Belgians buy it up on release it seems).

To tell the truth, I think the Vielles Vignes is just about as good at half the price (much less in France).