• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Benihana

When I was a young gal of 21 and 22 and living on my own for the first time, I reveled in the opportunity to sample whatever NYC restaurants my tiny budget would allow. My friends and I dabbled in new cuisines, attended as many private functions (with free food and drink) at swank hot spots and generally avoided setting foot in our own kitchens as much as possible.

But once in awhile, my friend Staci and I headed to Benihana on 55th Street in Manhattan for a lunch of chicken fried rice and soup (much cheaper than entrees). Teppanyaki had been our respective introductions to Japanese food during our teens in small towns without much ethnic food options so it was fun for us to go back for the flaming grill trick every once in awhile.

Fast forward a few years. I'm older, living in DC, way over Benihana (although I still like Kyoto) and invited to a pre-wedding dinner (similar to a bachelorette party without most of the embarassing party favors) hosted by the bride-to-be's sister who lives in Atlanta. She picks Benihana. Benihana in the Georgetown Mall to be exact. In the subterranean food court to be even more specific. My immediate thought? "On a Saturday night?? Waaaaaah!" but my subtle suggestions to go elsewhere went unheeded so last Saturday found me going underground.

The moon was full - very full - and I drove to Georgetown with a sense of foreboding. I should have turned around and gone home, really I should have.

Upon arrival, I stood with 10-12 other girls, most of them strangers, waiting to be seated. Finally, an Asian woman walked up to Emily and started saying "one table of eight is ready...blah, blah, blah." I turned to her and asked "do you validate parking?" and she just looked at me. Turns out she's one of Emily's friend, not a Benihana employee. Nice way to start the evening. I started to explain that I am one of the more culturally sensitive people around, but then I decided to just shut up.

Our group was split into two parties and not seated near each other (a bummer, but to be expected). My gang was immediately thrown menus by our motormouth 60ish Japanese waitress on speed, Yoko. We were given approximately thirty seconds to order drinks and entrees and for anyone who was undecided, she pushed pina coladas and the "Rocky's Special" of steak and chicken.

After the typical tiny salad of iceburg, shredded carrots and the weird ginger dressing, we were given the routine broth with scallions and mushrooms. Unfortunately, as Yoko cleared, she spilled soup on me and subsequently freaked. Then she said "you moved!! Not my fault!!" I consoled myself with the fact that the soup was clear.

The rest of the food, sadly, wasn't even as good as I remembered. I enjoyed the rice (after a few glugs of soy sauce; on its own, it was woefully underseasoned) enough, but the Rocky's Special most of us had (thanks Yoko) was extremely blah, even after dunks in the sauces provided.

Because we were celebrating a special occasion, we received a complimentary dessert of one scoop of vanilla ice cream and another of raspberry sorbet (the raspberry wasn't bad). But then...the staff came to commemorate our special event. Yoko started shouting "ready for a CELEBRATION? Huh? CELEBRATION!" Imagine this sweet-looking almost-Grandmotherly woman banging on a snare drum, singing in Japanese with the support of a few busboys. If any of you are fans of ESPN Page 2's Sports Guy, you'll recognize this as being oh-so-high on the unintentional comedy scale.

I couldn't wait to get out of there. Shortly before 9, Yoko warned us that if we needed to get our parking validated, now was the time because the mall closed at nine. One friend and I heeded her suggestion and as we walked through the bar area, disaster struck.

Picture this: a random guy takes a few steps backward, gets tangled in my feet and I go FLYING, almost landing face first.

Stunned, I looked up at him and he said "you should have watched where you were going." And no, he didn't offer me a hand to help me up. It was just that kind of night.

Long post...well, longer, I won't be going back. Not if I can help it.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

You don't say exactly when this happened, but it doesn't sound like Jenny is having the best of weeks.

My heart goes out to you. I've been there too.

Believe it or not, I actually kind of prefer to have all the crappy stuff happen at once. That way you get it out of the way.

Also, that there's always someone whose got it worse.

My last turn in being the dumpee (pre Mrs. JPW) happened just before Christmas when I was in grad school. I came home for the holidays and went out to the local dive with some friends to cry in my beer. I saw a guy there I hadn't seen since about 7th grade. I said "Harris, what are you doing here? I thought you were in Baltimore?"

He looked at me and in a perfectly level tone, replied "I lost my job, my wife, and my house."

All of a sudden my life didn't look so bad! :smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

DAAAAMMMNNNN...

Seriously, the highlight of the last seven days was getting the best haircut of my life. I guess having the support of my friends and family as I go through the end of a two year relationship counts, but the haircut has been the only thing that made me smile. Call me shallow if you like. Right now, I couldn't care less.

In response, JPW, the Benihana debacle was Saturday, right in the middle of my "weekend of contemplation." Great timing, huh? Here I am, having to face 1. my good college friend (who, after years of awful relationships is happily married and seven months pregnant), 2. her sister the bride (also blissfully happy and about to get married) and, 3. a woman I met at the pregnant one's wedding which I attended solo due to probs with PLM (the now-ex).

Today is my Friday because I took tomorrow as a mental health day. My mother is coming to visit for one night (it was planned pre-break-up) so I need to clean my apartment. Although my friends consider me the neat freak of the bunch, my mother would beg to differ. Tomorrow you'll find me scrubbing the bathtub. Glamorous life I lead, no? :wink: But Saturday is full of spa treatments so there is light at the end of this tunnel.

I remember when Benihana was a revered restaurant, reserved for the best of the best occasions. It sounds like, karmically, you have just received assurance that you are NEVER TO STEP FOOT INTO SUCH A PLACE AGAIN. EVER.

But, it sounds like you got the message. :cool:

BTW, there is nothing more refreshing than that post-breakup haircut! Refreshing on so many different levels. Have fun at the spa!

Finally, an Asian woman walked up to Emily and started saying "one table of eight is ready...blah, blah, blah." I turned to her and asked "do you validate parking?" and she just looked at me. Turns out she's one of Emily's friend, not a Benihana employee. Nice way to start the evening. I started to explain that I am one of the more culturally sensitive people around, but then I decided to just shut up.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This part had me bursting out in laughter for several minutes!!! I would love to buy this part of the story from you (Like J. Peterman did from Kramer)... :wink:

Hey, we've all had our shitty evenings... I'll PM you a story of mine which is probably even more embarrasing and painful than yours.... Hopefully it will put a smile on your face as well :biggrin:

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com