• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foraging for favorites

I'm not sure!  But tips and suggestions are welcome.   I saw several more while hiking today, but not enough to bother harvesting.   I may go back to my first spot in a day or two.  There should be lots more developing, and i harvested less than a tenth of what I found. 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, donk79 said:

I'm not sure!  But tips and suggestions are welcome.   I saw several more while hiking today, but not enough to bother harvesting.   I may go back to my first spot in a day or two.  There should be lots more developing, and i harvested less than a tenth of what I found. 

If you want to avoid the butter taste being too strong, sear in a dry pan with salt and then add some fat at the end (the butter possibly burnt in the cooking process and you got a lot of nutty notes from it) to avoid it burning.  Chicken fat would be good to keep it neutral but also flavorful (you can go with grapeseed or avocado, but I do not like either of those!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living on the northeastern end of Cape Breton for almost three months and have been exploring and foraging my area. 

These are all within hiking range of home:

Blueberries, blackberries, saskatoon berries, old apple trees, a cherry tree, what will be a spring bounty of fiddleheads, wild roses (rosehips), spear-mint and dandelion greens.

It's ongoing with something interesting found on every hike.

I've been too busy picking and will eventually start posting photos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Out to scout today with camera and my room mate for the next few days.

This is Cooper:

dscn0290.thumb.JPG.b1d394a5ef0e8cfbc1c492ad21c1b9df.JPG

I'll be sitting him for my sister and BIL while they're off to Halifax.

Blueberry season is pretty much over. Any fruit left is not worth picking. Some exceptions for snacking while walking.

DSCN0283.thumb.JPG.3dd6c4b5189e26e62c7e3d1d787f95bf.JPG

Blackberries pretty much done as well. This 'patch', by a rough estimation is about half an acre, can only be picked by circling the perimeter. I'm thinking to cut two swaths through with a brush cutter next spring to allow access. 

DSCN0284.thumb.JPG.56c4232075c962778f093d537c606ac5.JPG

Some berries left.

DSCN0286.thumb.JPG.45d7ea8a3d1d953f5947da08c99a232e.JPG

Next year's fiddlehead crop: 

DSCN0281.thumb.JPG.e6a2bd1bb13d1512d6146ac3a5f08892.JPG

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@TicTac

Thanks.

We'll see how mushroom season goes here. I've some experience however I'm cautious. To paraphrase an old adage: There are bold mushroom foragers, there are old mushroom foragers but not that many old bold ones.

And the other one – – all mushrooms are edible – – once. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@TicTac

Thanks.

We'll see how mushroom season goes here. I've some experience however I'm cautious. To paraphrase an old adage: There are bold mushroom foragers, there are old mushroom foragers but not that many old bold ones.

I learned about the elm oysters a few years ago from an old Italian guy and they are very easy to identify.  Boletes same.

Love learning about all the variety that grows here.  The coolest this season so far I have found are 'birds nest' mushrooms.

Just waiting on a puffball in the back field to grow before I chop it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

And the other one – – all mushrooms are edible – – once. 

In Australia somewhere there is probably a mushroom not edible even once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am about to go pick pawpaws here in Virginia.  I checked them last week and they were still a little bit green.  This week I think they will be ready.

@gfron1has been posting about picking pawpaws this past week in his area, and I am benefiting from the fact that his are ripening sooner.  Especially today, as he posted a video on Facebook of how he processes the fruit.  Hopefully this link will work, as it will definitely change how I approach the task.

https://www.facebook.com/724934844/videos/5445230762240407/

Thank you, Rob!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, donk79 said:

I am about to go pick pawpaws here in Virginia.  I checked them last week and they were still a little bit green.  This week I think they will be ready.

@gfron1has been posting about picking pawpaws this past week in his area, and I am benefiting from the fact that his are ripening sooner.  Especially today, as he posted a video on Facebook of how he processes the fruit.  Hopefully this link will work, as it will definitely change how I approach the task.

https://www.facebook.com/724934844/videos/5445230762240407/

Thank you, Rob!

Happy to help. We do a lot of them so it's all about efficiency.

• Like 1

Out for an early morning walkabout.

Although finished for the season this is a very mature saskatoon berry bush/tree: They're not native to the area and were brought here by my BIL's great aunt from Regina.

DSCN0306.thumb.JPG.25d1de876c84ec0179f7db5bff96a083.JPG

Note the knife for size comparison.

One removed and resprouting:

DSCN0298.thumb.JPG.975301744327c8d23d53b1182bbf4f49.JPG

Wild rose hips starting to turn. These won't be ready until after a frost:

DSCN0302.thumb.JPG.5535ddfd100eade44a9bb3b490e54c8c.JPG

DSCN0304.thumb.JPG.03c2635d7d64544de732cd6ca1b006ad.JPG

And finally I've tentatively identified these as huckleberries but am unsure. They are partially shriveled since it's been very dry recently. Anyone?

DSCN0301.thumb.JPG.429878d8e0a4ae56f06770f01d53efee.JPG

The only mushroom I've seen were Amanita pantherina which are deadly toxic. It's been too dry and have not seen any other types.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Out for an early morning walkabout.

Although finished for the season this is a very mature saskatoon berry bush/tree: They're not native to the area and were brought here by my BIL's great aunt from Regina.

DSCN0306.thumb.JPG.25d1de876c84ec0179f7db5bff96a083.JPG

Note the knife for size comparison.

One removed and resprouting:

DSCN0298.thumb.JPG.975301744327c8d23d53b1182bbf4f49.JPG

Well...yes and no. I grew up calling them "Indian pears," but they're mostly known as shadberry or serviceberry in NS. They're native to mainland NS, but maybe not to CB because it's an island? I dunno. The cultivated strains of Saskatoons from out West can bear larger fruit and keep them on the tree for longer (which of course makes for better commercial harvests), so you should be in good shape next year for Saskatoon jam. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Well...yes and no. I grew up calling them "Indian pears," but they're mostly known as shadberry or serviceberry in NS. They're native to mainland NS, but maybe not to CB because it's an island? I dunno. The cultivated strains of Saskatoons from out West can bear larger fruit and keep them on the tree for longer (which of course makes for better commercial harvests), so you should be in good shape next year for Saskatoon jam. :)

Service berries indeed.

Just planted two in my back yard. 

Oh, and also planted some chokeberries.

Thanks for taking the time to post some pics - love seeing where others forage.  I will try to do the same this season when I go out shroom hunting.

• Like 2

@chromedome

My BIL family calls them wild pears although after researching my guides and online I found that wild pears are European natives and pear cultivars were brought over to North America. After looking at leaf and fruit structure and taking into account my BIL's family lore we came to the saskatoon berry conclusion.

These have most likely been here for 90-110 years so no idea what the cultivars were then.

I also know them as serviceberries.

• Like 1

Maybe its me - but I do not find they have much flavour.  I have tried them in teas, thats about it. 

Lately I have been focused on foraging for plants that have high medicinal benefits; things like purslane, plantain, baby raspberry leaves, mulien, etc. 

Good stuff for winter ailments and proactive medicine.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Maybe its me - but I do not find they have much flavour.  I have tried them in teas, thats about it. 

Lately I have been focused on foraging for plants that have high medicinal benefits; things like purslane, plantain, baby raspberry leaves, mulien, etc. 

Good stuff for winter ailments and proactive medicine.

High medicinal benefits?

• Confused 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:54 PM, ElsieD said:

They taste a bit like honey.  They have a lot of hard seeds so a seed-adverse person would not enjoy them, I don't think.  However, they make for a tasty complete or jam if you strain out the seeds.  If you have an Ikea near you, they sell  cloudberry jam.  

I would never have made a comparison of cloudberries and honey. They both have floral and bitter flavour notes, so once you cook the cloudberries, the similarities may become more pronounced. I can't remember the last time I had cooked cloudberries (jams/compotes) though. Not that I don't like it. Fresh or uncooked berries are just in a different league.

Cloudberries have a very characteristic flavour, which people seem to either love or hate, but l really don't know how to explain the flavor to someone who's unfamiliar with it. The thing I love about them is the balance between sweetness, sourness and bitterness. Cooking them, or adding too much sugar, alter this fragile balance.

In other foraging news, chanterelle season has been amazing so far in my area:

Screenshot_20220914-232232.png.70c6365bd5c61c638cc897c9a6e0719b.png

Screenshot_20220914-231537.thumb.png.d9c9d25a04fc9ef8da1debfac6463b4f.png

Screenshot_20220914-231719.png.92c956be5f882552c1f528500cc7cf2a.png

Screenshot_20220826-220033.png.e9307b0e0170060e3080fca204f11e2e.png

Screenshot_20220914-231814.png.560285d5b14e2e875c8110eee1d5fa10.png

I've probably picked about 10kg of cleaned chanterelles so far, so now I'm stocked up on dried, cooked and (my take on) creamed chanterelles. No luck finding any Boletus edulis yet though...

Edited by sverreef (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1