• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foraging for favorites

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's a terrible shame about your apple tree. Is its crop cyclic also? I hope the tree recovers.

I appreciate the thought(s), but I'm not crazy about applesauce except as the occasional fat substitute. I'd like these best, I think, if I could keep the crunch. I've considered a relish, chutney or salad. I think they'll be good cooked in a small tart. As it happens, today was utterly consumed by non-food tasks, so nothing more has been done since this morning's optimistic post.

FWIW, crabapple jelly is absolutely marvelous. And no, I don't have a recipe, but there are several that turn up, via Google.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Smithy  I just remembered the jars of spiced pickled crabapples that grandma used to buy. They were so pretty. No coring and leave stem on. They turn a nice drak pink color. I think you need to prick them so they don't burst.  Like these  https://www.thespruceeats.com/spiced-pickled-crab-apples-3059143

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gfweb said:

According to Stark Bros they are good up to USDA Zone 4.  Which is pretty damn cold.  https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

The Royal Botanical Gardens had a workshop about growing them a couple of years back - here. Theres a great link there with lots of advice. Looks like there a couple of places in Niagara on the Lake when you can get them. 

Nice description here from the University of Guelph Arboretum.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I am officially going on a paw-paw patrol!

Tropical'eque fruit....growing in....Ontario!?

This I must find!

I feel exonerated for my boring posts.  I’ve sparked a fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I am officially going on a paw-paw patrol!

Tropical'eque fruit....growing in....Ontario!?

This I must find!

Pawpaw can survive to zone 8.

I am growing two in my garden. You need at least two for pollination.

dcarch

On 10/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, Smithy said:

That's a terrible shame about your apple tree. Is its crop cyclic also? I hope the tree recovers.

I appreciate the thought(s), but I'm not crazy about applesauce except as the occasional fat substitute. I'd like these best, I think, if I could keep the crunch. I've considered a relish, chutney or salad. I think they'll be good cooked in a small tart. As it happens, today was utterly consumed by non-food tasks, so nothing more has been done since this morning's optimistic post.

What about spiced crab apples? I swear we used to buy these commercially canned when we lived in Vermont, but search as I might, I cannot find any available now. We had a couple of trees in the front yard at one place we lived. These are so delicious with roasted or grilled meats, especially poultry and pork. The spring flowers on the trees are so pretty too. Ours were pink.

Recipes here and also here. Don't feel like canning? There is a suggestion for freezing in the Mother Earth News recipe. They say that worked fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

> ^ . . ^ <

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

This will likely only interest a minuscule portion of our membership —  those who live in southern Ontario. Still I was startled to learn that pawpaws grow wild here. 

Here.

"These are actually the first wild pawpaws that I've seen," he said. "I first read about pawpaw trees. It just seemed like this exotic tree that seemed too mythical, too bizarre to be true."

It's interesting to me, because we have pawpaws down here in the South US, and I am amazed that they are hardy that far into the Great White North.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful, beautiful @chefmd but I hope you put them down again.  Or have your liver donor lined up.  I love mushrooms as much as the next girl but I'd be scared, very scared.  (And selfishly I'd like to get a ride again from you someday.)

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

What kind of mushroom is that?  I did a quick google search and came up with Russula emetica?  

I think you are correct.  I used to forage them with my Grandma in Russia. They are called сыроежки.  @JoNorvelleWalker scared me a little.  I pickled the shrooms and have not eaten them yet :).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

I think you are correct.  I used to forage them with my Grandma in Russia. They are called сыроежки.  @JoNorvelleWalker scared me a little.  I pickled the shrooms and have not eaten them yet :).

I googled them a bit.  Russula are rarely fatal.  At least if they are cooked.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I googled them a bit.  Russula are rarely fatal.  At least if they are cooked.

I'd be a little nervous around something called 'emetica'.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd be a little nervous around something called 'emetica'.  

They can cause nausea unless parboiled or pickled.  But alas, y’all convinced me.  Buying Whole Foods chanterelles will be my my future foraging adventure.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Foods chanterelles will be my my future foraging adventure.

Good plan. 

"There are old mushroom hunters
and there are bold mushroom hunters
but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

No idea who the credit for this. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Good plan. 

"There are old mushroom hunters
and there are bold mushroom hunters
but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

No idea who the credit for this. 

I have heard the same saying with "electricians" for "mushroom hunters".  Both versions make sense to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now calm down y'all...mushroom hunting and eating is safe as anything else with proper education. Always have a mentor that you can use for verification (I still do this even after all these years). Always do a full identification from a true guidebook (yes, even the spore print). And only cook those mushrooms that you know how to properly prepare. Once people start saying, "You need to do x,y, or z with a specific mushroom to make it safe..." that's not one for you to cook unless you're an expert. But once you get past that, oysters, lobsters, chanterelles, morels and a few others are easy to identify and easy to prepare. *Then I add the asterisk that says there's a thing called a false morel. It looks nothing like a true morel, but for some reason every season us mycos have an annual argument about their safety. I don't/won't eat them because why risk it. But a morel?...heck yeah!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Now calm down y'all...mushroom hunting and eating is safe as anything else with proper education. Always have a mentor that you can use for verification (I still do this even after all these years). Always do a full identification from a true guidebook (yes, even the spore print). And only cook those mushrooms that you know how to properly prepare. Once people start saying, "You need to do x,y, or z with a specific mushroom to make it safe..." that's not one for you to cook unless you're an expert. But once you get past that, oysters, lobsters, chanterelles, morels and a few others are easy to identify and easy to prepare. *Then I add the asterisk that says there's a thing called a false morel. It looks nothing like a true morel, but for some reason every season us mycos have an annual argument about their safety. I don't/won't eat them because why risk it. But a morel?...heck yeah!

I'd trust you completely, gfron. But not some perhaps careless, perhaps ill-trained jabroni.

If I wreck my liver it'll be done the old fashioned way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, gfron1 said:

*Then I add the asterisk that says there's a thing called a false morel. It looks nothing like a true morel, but for some reason every season us mycos have an annual argument about their safety. I don't/won't eat them because why risk it. But a morel?...heck yeah!

Actually two kinds. Gyromitras are basically edible if you cook the hell out of them, though some people do react badly to them. Verpas are just bad news.

It's not hard to tell real morels apart from either kind of "false morel," though.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked when I spied a bright green patch under some old orange trees. Our current lanscape is parched and barren. My dad must have watered the trees heavily before he left town for the winter. It is young but a bit too tough for raw eating so I'll probably use in a soup or sauteed/steamed.  

mallow.JPG