• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paprika

ronnie_suburban

Speaking of Parika, I have a small tin that I got in a gift basket and it looks kinda like paprika, but it is all in Spanish:

Pimenton de la Vera

Agridulce(bittersweet)

Product of Spain

and it has a picture of a small flower-like plant that is red.

It tastes a little smoky. Is this a Spanish paprika?

Frank in Austin

Great post, ronnie.

Your recipe for chicken thighs is creepily the same as one of my favorites. I made it up years ago. Slice a bunch of onions into the bottom of the crock pot. Salt the chicken and coat it with more paprika than you think is sane. Lay the chicken on top of the onions and turn the crock pot on high and let her rip. It is sooooo much better than it sounds. Lately I have been doing it with skinless thighs and I think I like that better. But I am careful not to remove too much of the chicken fat. :biggrin:

I also use a lot of paprika in my rubs. I am a recent convert to Penzey's. I have a feeling it is really fresher and maybe more carefully sourced.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Luvly.

Spatchcocked as is only proper.

edit:

But some fiend stole the skin before you could eat it, I see.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Speaking of Parika, I have a small tin that I got in a gift basket and it looks kinda like paprika, but it is all in Spanish:

Pimenton de la Vera

Agridulce(bittersweet)

Product of Spain

Yes, Pimenton signifies Spanish Paprika.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ludja,

Thanks for the recipe.  As I posted above, I never got my grandmother's version on paper and it's way better to start with a food lover's tried and true recipe than it is to take a blind stab into an unfamiliar cookbook.

Regarding the braised chicken, when you make the paprika-sour cream sauce, what proportions do you typically use?

=R=

I don't really have this written down; I have some notes from my Mom but I usually wing it... Not trying to be coy at all, but I'd feel better trying it out again and next time keeping track of what I actually do before I post!

Cool, I know how that goes...it's hard for me to get most of my recipes out of my head and into writing :biggrin:

=R=

edit:

But some fiend stole the skin before you could eat it, I see.

I also noticed that in image 3, which left me perplexed.

At 300ºF, I was cautious in mentioning, possibly a non crisp skin.

It looked fine in the first two images.

By the way, that is some mean looking barnyard animal eating if I say so myself.

I'm sure you tried to call and invite me, possibly the tellie was busy? :laugh:

woodburner

Pimenton de la Vera

Agridulce(bittersweet)

Product of Spain

Yes, Pimenton signifies Spanish Paprika.

=R=

Pimenton De La Vera is the good stuff. And yes, it is smoked.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Great post, ronnie.

Your recipe for chicken thighs is creepily the same as one of my favorites. I made it up years ago. Slice a bunch of onions into the bottom of the crock pot. Salt the chicken and coat it with more paprika than you think is sane. Lay the chicken on top of the onions and turn the crock pot on high and let her rip. It is sooooo much better than it sounds. Lately I have been doing it with skinless thighs and I think I like that better. But I am careful not to remove too much of the chicken fat. :biggrin:

I also use a lot of paprika in my rubs. I am a recent convert to Penzey's. I have a feeling it is really fresher and maybe more carefully sourced.

Very cool Fifi. I like your description of the paprika quantity. :biggrin: That's essentially what I did the first time out when paprika was all I had to work with. Who knew at the time what a crazy obsession it would become for me. :wink:

=R=

Here are a few pics of the beautiful cans in which some of the paprika is packaged. The cans are just another wonderful element of paprika-ing :biggrin: In fact, the only negative aspect of buying these products at Penzey's and The Spice House is that the product is generally sold in plain jars and bags and you don't get the cool can when you make a purchase...

papr.szeged.sweet.smaller.jpg

Szeged, sweet

=====

papr.elangel.smaller.jpg

El Angel, sweet and smoked

=====

papr.odalisca.smaller.jpg

La Odalisca, sweet and unsmoked

=====

=R=

This is beautiful work Ronnie, thanks for all the detail. It's not just for deviled eggs anymore. :smile:

My hands down favorite paprika recipe is a simple stew... recipe gullet link. I am going to try the chicen thighs for sure, probably the crock pot method ala fifi.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Very nice Jason (and Rachel)

Did you guys enjoy it?

=R=

Yummy. Rachel did a great job!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am going to try the chicen thighs for sure, probably the crock pot method ala fifi.

If you do try it, I will warn you that onions seem to have a perverse habit of being unpredictable as to how much water they contain. (It seems we are seeing the same phenomenon in the onion confit thread.) Sometimes I have had to check in on it and add a bit of liquid (sherry if I have it) and other times I have had to reduce it down to get a decent sauce. With the crockpot running on high, if you are lucky you will get a little caramelization of the onions. Obviously, with so few ingredients and the paprika being the star, the quality of the paprika is important. It is good with garden variety but I am lusting to try it with the newly discovered Penzey's.

My favorite way to serve this is with rice to spoon the onion sauce over and a salad with orange sections and a rather plain vinaigrette. That seems to be a combination that I come back to time and again.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Soba,

Considering how fast the onions under the chicken (and brisket) disappear, I cannot wait to try this and build upon it. My grandmother made a great goulash but I never got the recipe from her. :sad:

Edited to ask...do you have a recipe you like for either of the stew dishes?

=R=

Certainly.

Remind me via PM if you don't see a recipe tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to bed soon and it'll be a busy day at work tomorrow so I may not have time to post the recipe. (Marlene, if you see it, feel free to paste it into RecipeGullet. I'm a bit low-tech even for RecipeGullet. :blink: )

Soba

To answer some of your questions/comments:

The chicken was not spatchcocked. I cook my whole chickens upside-down. This is for several reasons. First, as many people recommend, cooking it this way the dark and white meat get done at the same time, without overcooking the breast meat, it stays nice and juicy. Second, Jason doesn't like chicken skin and only eats white meat, so there is no point in getting it crispy. Instead, I get some of the rub in there under the skin and then remove the soft flabby skin after cooking. That's why his pic is all breast meat without the skin.

The benefit to all this is that I get the yummier dark meat AND crisp skin. :biggrin:

The onions didn't cook enough during their in the time in the oven. And, there was a lot of liquid. Perhaps I shouldn't have added the sherry/water (about 1 cup) in the beginning of cooking. So, I strained the liquid into a defatting cup and made a roux based gravy. And I continued cooking the onions down on the stovetop. I served a little bit of the onions with the chicken (the brown bit in the center of the plate), but most I put away to make onion soup with (yay eGCI stock course!).

The paprika flavor was very subdued, coming out as a mild smokeyness. Next time I'll up the proportion of paprika in the rub.

The paprika flavor was very subdued, coming out as a mild smokeyness. Next time I'll up the proportion of paprika in the rub.

That is why I use more paprika than seems sane. It is not a strong note in modest quantities. In most rubs and stews, I find that paprika provides a "civilized" grounding note to the other seasonings.

In the chicken recipe that ronnie and I have done, it IS the flavor. I think that is why I migrated to taking off the skin in the braised type recipe. The skin really only added a flabby unappetizing component and blocked the flavor of the paprika from permeating the meat.

I do recall one time making the chicken thighs with a paprika that I had bought in some high toned boutique store. It was bitter and awful. I wish I could come up with the brand so I could warn you off. Anyway, good paprika, chicken and onions is one of those marriages made in heaven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

This thread is one of those examples of exactly why eGullet is such a fabulous place. I'm going to make paprika chicken tonight, a la Fifi's Crock Pot technique. I'm going to get some new paprika just for the occasion, too.

A question: About how long did you leave it on high, Fifi?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

A question: About how long did you leave it on high, Fifi?

I think it was about four hours the last time I did it but this was the "new" crock pot that runs hot. Then there is that pesky problem of how much water is in the onions. I would just allow about five or more hours if planning for dinner time. If it gets done sooner it holds over well. If there is too much water, just remove the onions and liquid to a pan and reduce.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The benefit to all this is that I get the yummier dark meat AND crisp skin. :biggrin:

You're a wise one, Rachel.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

In the chicken recipe that ronnie and I have done, it IS the flavor. I think that is why I migrated to taking off the skin in the braised type recipe. The skin really only added a flabby unappetizing component and blocked the flavor of the paprika from permeating the meat.

Yes, yes & yes :smile:

I also agree with you about the onions...the amount of liquid they render seems completely random to me :wacko:

=R=

Certainly.

Remind me via PM if you don't see a recipe tomorrow afternoon.  I'm going to bed soon and it'll be a busy day at work tomorrow so I may not have time to post the recipe.  (Marlene, if you see it, feel free to paste it into RecipeGullet.  I'm a bit low-tech even for RecipeGullet.  :blink: )

Soba

Thanks Soba, much appreciated :smile:

=R=