• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

promet fish

Lyle

Apparantly it's not on Earth as everything on Earth is, by law, documented by the Gods of Google.

Not this.

I was perusing the menu of my local Thai joint that we plan on eating at tomorrow and, as it's a revised menu, I discovered the new entree of whole fried promet fish. The telephone conversation with the restaurant was hindered by certain language barriers and I got no answers. I've lost all faith in my Googillian religion since it can't answer this deep philisophical question.

What is a promet fish and how would it enjoy being fried?

Edited for a sense of tense.

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.

Yes, promfret fish it is. Must be a typo.

Last night curiosity fried the fish as I got a to-go order of this dish. The fish was very small, like a large brim. It tasted very much of perch, with oddly crispy eyeballs. Quite good indeed.

Thanks.

Rice pie is nice.

Pomfret is the name most often used for several of the Asian/Indian Species of fish from the Jack Cravelle Family.

In Hawaii they are called Papio or Ulua and in the Gulf States are called Pompano or Permit. All are from the same family and quite tasty. In Seattle at the Ranch 99 Markets thay sell Black, Silver and Gold Pomfret. They'll even Fry them for you at no additional charge. Generally doesn't last thru the drive home.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I used to pass a fish story on the way to my office. For years they advertised, "fresh whitney". Da ya think it could've been whiting?

I've passed more fish storys than I could ever count.

Rice pie is nice.

BTW, I ordered the same dish from the same restaurant last night. I believe the first promfret I received earlier in the week either had a retarded growth cycle, was heavily "trimmed", or was not a promfret. The fish I recieved last night was wider and had proper fromfret fins, at least judging by pictures. It also had a much stronger taste (good).

Edit: spelleringing

Edited by Lyle (log)

Rice pie is nice.

Just cruised through one of our newer and larger local Asian markets this past weekend in search of produce bargains. Lo and behold.... they have Pomfret for $1.99 per pound (whole fish). They also have a tank with live fish for those who want to clean it themselves. I'll pass.