• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Life's Top 10

Explorer

I have to admit that I am tired of hearing about Avalon and how superlative it is.

To me, it is an over-priced place that uses over-priced ingredients so as to justify the astronomical mark up.

Don't even get me started on Chris MacDonald.

Personally, I think he buys these reviews and probably Mr. Chatto.

Everyone I know that has gone there has not be duly impressed.

As to the other top 9, there is definately proper justification, but why are they always high-end places?

i am working agency with a chap who was in your top ten+ his sous chef, i am in the michelin staR,3 ROSETTE. 6 IN GOOD FOOD GUIDE,sorry about caps lock, i could be the future. interested e-mail fatladdotcom@yahoo.com (ps i am a family man willing to re-locate).

What's your problem with Chris MacDonald?

I'm not into being sued for slander, but I once had the displeasure of meeting him when he was doing some consulting for a restuaurant that never got off the ground and I found him to be to put it lightly obnoxious and egotistical.

I was just a first cook at the time, so perhaps that explains it.

I have to admit that I am tired of hearing about Avalon and how superlative it is.

To me, it is an over-priced place that uses over-priced ingredients so as to justify the astronomical mark up.

As to the other top 9, there is definately proper justification, but why are they always high-end places?

I'm hoping to go there tomorrow. If I do, I'll report back.

I've never eaten there, but I did eat at the Mexican influenced place he had when Avalon first opened, and that was run out of the same kitchen. I liked it.

Avalon's been on my must do list for a loong time. Time to check it out.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

In my experience the restaurant reviews in Toronto Life are not useful in ranking the quality of the restaurant. I do like to read the articles to learn what is out there but the reviews are not critical enough, the articles are only rough guidelines.

When I did use Toronto Life to guide me to a restaurant I was usually under whelmed. A critical review would at least prepare me for what was there.

I am going out to buy the April restaurant edition tomorow because I do like to read it.

Having worked at Avalon for five years and having a husband who worked there for two and a half, we take exception to your blatantly slanderous comments regarding Chris Macdonald. Although I acknowledge that the man is obsessively driven and could perhaps be considered egotistical, these qualities are entirely merited. Chris Macdonald has forgotten more about food, wine and dining than most people will ever know. Perhaps when he worked with you in the past, your project was not up to his standards and that may have been the reason that you found him to be, as you put it, "obnoxious and egotistical".

As for him using over-priced ingredients to justify a mark-up, I don't really think you know what you are talking about. The product used at Avalon is certainly not always the most expensive, but it is always the finest and freshest available and the thousands of diners I waited on there during my employ were, for the most part, thrilled to enjoy the dining experience he created.

As for him "buying reviews and Mr. Chatto", I would watch your words. This type of accusation is not one that should be thrown about lightly. Anyone who knows anything about the business of restaurants and restaurant critiquing in this city would surely laugh out loud at the ridiculous and spiteful nature of your comments. I'm sure that both Mr. Macdonald and Mr. Chatto would also be taken aback. (Actually, on second thought, it probably wouldn't even cause a blip on their radar.)

Chris Macdonald lives a modest lifestyle, putting all his money back into his restaurant year after year. He works long hours and is as uncompromising a chef as myself and my husband have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Have you ever actually eaten at Avalon? or are you basing your comments on secondhand opinions and a longheld grudge against a talented man that once trampled on your feelings?

My Meals at Avalon have actually been on the cheaper side of the tasting menu spectrum. The wine pairings are unusually good and quite cheap because of his use of canadian wines. You get get out for under 200.00 a person inclusive. I've chatted briefly with Chef Macdonald but have never seen him in the kitchen during a busy service.

PS - You may have picked the wrong business if you have a thin skin on the line. I've heard some stories and rec'd my share of ass-chewings from guys who are close friends.

edit sp

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

It's funny that when someone receives such continuous critical acclaim that there are people who can't accept it. Yes, Chris Macdonald IS alot to digest, and can be a little crusty around the edges. However; he is the SOLE proprietor of one of the most consistant restaurants in this city. He will never rest on his laurels, or stop trying to push the envelope that much further. There's no flash or glitz in his cooking, just top quality ingredients that do warrant higher prices as the end of the day. One must pay the price for real 30yr. old balsamic, not the stuff most places reduce in a pot to look like the real thing. And if people don't want or understand real products that cost $$$, then don't waste anyones time, money, or effort by going to these places. People who do not understand food and dining will never understand ANY high end restaurant and the prices they charge.

Edited by mamster (log)

Woa Woa Woa!

Please do not descend into this kind of name calling.

Although phoenix12 might have over stated his opinion with respect to Chatto, the personal insults that followed are not appropriate.

kymbrlee, and veggrl. Make your point please don't make it worse.

Please do not descend into this kind of name calling.

Although phoenix12 might have over stated his opinion with respect to Chatto, the personal insults that followed are not appropriate.

kymbrlee, and veggrl. Make your point please don't make it worse.

kenk:

I think maybe you might want to read my last post again. Although I addressed the points made in phoenix12's post, my reply did not contain personal insults and I certainly did not resort to name-calling.

if people don't want or understand real products that cost $$$, then don't waste anyones time, money, or effort by going to these places. People who do not understand food and dining will never understand ANY high end restaurant and the prices they charge.

veggrl,

keep on keepin on!