• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sortilege anyone?

lambretta76

I am a huge fan of this drink, but have yet to come across someone who knows about it here in the States (save for the large number of people I have gotten hooked on it.)

To me, it's the taste of winter, and I can't imagine any finer nightcap than a glass of this with a single ice cube (it's a little too "sticky" without it.) It's also fantastic in coffee and in pancakes and french toast.

Maison de s Futailles - Sortilege

I've heard about those fantastic liqueurs. Although I've never had the pleasure. I understand some of them may be found in a handfull of States, unfortunately not mine. :sad:

I must say that the Chicoutai liqueur would be something I must have. I've picked cloudberries as a child with my Grandmother so she could make jam.

• 2 weeks later...

Several places in NYC carry their products, and I've seen Sortilege at Astor Place Wines on Lafayette and a wine store in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.

Duty free in Niagara Falls (coming into the states) also has it - it might be found at other border crossings?

I'll have to look for it next time I visit Montreal. Sounds Good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you like it, you might want to try the Equinoxe du printemps at Dieu du Ciel (a Montreal brewpub). It's an amazing maple scotch ale available only when spring comes around. If you're coming from out of town, you'd better check the menu on www.dieuduciel.com to make sure it's available.

• 1 year later...

Argghh! Missed the last bottle of Equinoxe du Printemps by about three days. Oh well, I was able to sample a hot pepper beer, as well as one of their porters - this place rocks!

As for Sortilege, picked up three more bottles, which I plan on using in a signature cocktail at my wedding in April. Let the experimentation begin!

• 2 months later...

I have seen both the Sortilege and the Amber, Macallan maple-scotch blend at bottle shops here in Maine and New Hampshire. Have not tried either but think that maple is such a wonderful flavor and love to use it in cooking. Vanilla and maple really coexist well, so maybe someone should try a cocktail or devise a recipe using both.