• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stroopwafels

Oh Gosh! These babies are really yummy and addictive.

We had our first introduction and taste of these when an ex-neighbor came visiting from the Netherlands.

Totally awesome.

I have tried making them at home using a pizzelle maker, but no luck so far.

I had that same thought when I was reading this thread......why didn't the pizzelle

maker work? It seems like it would......

How funny......I'm Dutch, and I've never heard of the things. It's probably a good

thing they are hard to find out here. I don't need something else to get addicted to!

:rolleyes:

Annie

International supermarket in Tokyo has a nice supply

I did NOT, not, not, need to know that!

My sister lives in the Netherlands. It's all her fault. I would never have known about them otherwise.

However, the joy is more in the anticipation for me - I usually find that when I actually bite into one it is sweeter than I remembered.

(They even stock them at Toys R Us from time to time, but not very nice ones).

so i don't get it.....does it become some sort of waffle and syrup sandwich?

nah...the ones I've had were more like a waffle and caramel sandwich...

I've heard heroin can be quite addictive, but I guess you're talking about food.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Alright ---you've got my attention now. I've never actually eaten one of these before ....but I love Pizzells's and Krumkake and that type of cookie, and I love caramel, so how can ya miss?

Now...I've seen a couple recipes for these and have always wanted to try making them. However....I rather thought I could use my Pizzelle iron to make the cookies. Does anyone know why that doesnt' work? The only thing I can think of is maybe they are too thin? ...not 'waffley" enough?

I guess the experimentation must begin ;) .....but first, I suspect I'll have to go order some of those from the place in Montana that a couple of you have raved about so I have something to compare too!!

• 1 year later...

I've been told that Santa left me a krumkake iron at my sister's house. I'm looking forward to playing with it, but none of the krumkake recipes I've found have sounded half as good as these Stroopwafels.

1. I see above that attempts to replicate the stroopwafel on a pizelle iron failed. Has anyone had any luck on a krumkake iron?

2. The Montana site says that they bake the pastry, then split and fill them. How thick are they when they're done cooking? (How do you get an even split?)

3. Anyone have a definitive recipe, or one that makes them happy?

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Just wanted to point out that these can be purchased at Trader Joe's, if there's one that is local. Incredibly good stuff.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I just had my first stroopwaffel experience when I was home for Christmas. I saw them at Trader Joe's, and after all the talk of them on Klary's Dutch Cooking thread and on the Breakfast thread, I had to have some. I spent many a happy anticipatory moment with a stroopwaffel steaming gently over my coffee cup, buttery aroma rising. Before I knew it, the tin was empty. :rolleyes:

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

• 1 year later...

I tried the Stroopwafels after i received KAF Cookie Companion. They are delightful and so easy to make. Not at all sweet.

I do not have a Krumkake or Pizzelle Iron so i used my Ice Cream Cone maker. Always worked for me.

• 1 month later...

Read upthread some -- there's a mail order place. I ordered some. I hate the person that shared THAT secret.

Sooooo good, you cannot stop eating them.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Unless I missed them, the Trader Joe's by me only has small ones.  :sad:

Small ones? The ones we get at the Dutch shop here are about three inches across, just right for resting on the top of a small coffee cup. Are there larger ones than that? And if so, where do I get my sticky little mitts on them?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Unless I missed them, the Trader Joe's by me only has small ones.  :sad:

Small ones? The ones we get at the Dutch shop here are about three inches across, just right for resting on the top of a small coffee cup. Are there larger ones than that? And if so, where do I get my sticky little mitts on them?

Nope, these little guys are even smaller than that. No way would they fit atop my coffee cup.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I used to make these when I was a kid with a special iron my grandmother had, I think that she probably got it from my Oma a very long time ago. Unfortuneatly my aunt jacked the iron from my mom years ago and they haven't been made at our house since. :angry:

I tried the Stroopwafels after i received KAF Cookie Companion. They are delightful and so easy to make. Not at all sweet.

I do not have a Krumkake or Pizzelle Iron so i used my Ice Cream Cone maker.  Always worked for me.

Can you give details (including recipe), please? A pictoral of you making them would be much appreciated, too! :smile:

• 3 months later...

I saw them at the Market in Atlanta the last time I was there and after having read this discussion I had to get some. They were maple filled and delicious with my coffee. My son enjoyed them and said they tasted like waffles with syrup and I guess they did!

See here for some pics about the making of stroopwafels.

lapin d´or, I can´t get your link to work, but I found this one online, uses a pizelle maker. It looks okay except for the hazelnuts.. I would not add hazelnuts to stroopwafels!

recipe

lapin d´or, I can´t get your link to work
Sorry about the broken link - I tried it last night and it seemed to work, but not now. If you go to the King Arthur website -

http://www.kingarthurflour.com

and then choose 'recipes' you can then search for the stroopwafel recipe. They suggest you use a mini pizzelle iron but I only have a basic 6inch diameter one so I guess I will have to make giant stroopwafels and hope I am not caught eating a whole one.

Thanks Chufi, the picture in your recipe link look more like the ones I have bought.

Our Costco now also carries them in three packages of eight and they are made with butter so they are the real deal AND they are a real steal at about $5 per box! They are imported from Holland from a large reputable bakery (Daelmans)

I once spent a morning with a vendor on the open air market in Holland making these. Too bad he wouldn't share his recipe, I'm still looking for one that's close to the real stroopwafel. With the recipe from King Arthur I thought the cookies were too crumbly.

gallery_25844_817_149291.jpg

Edited by Lysbeth (log)

Lysbeth