• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spainish Cider

Amy Viny

Does anyone know anything about the hard ciders of Spain? I understand there is quite a tradition of cider pubs and cider drinking in the Basque Country. I will be in the area in late march and would love to visit a few pubs and cider makers. Any leads would be appreciated.

My understanding is that the sidra is more traditional in Asturias, a bit west of the Basque Country. Not 100% sure on that though. Am recently back from Madrid where the most enjoyable sidreria was Bar Neru. Drink the stuff down fast when it's served to you as all the air that gets incorporated through the long pour and the slam into the glass supposedly activates it.

Sidra is traditionally drunk in Asturias and Euskadi (Pais Vasco). It is very dry (no residual sugar) and non-carbonated. I've had it in Madrid and Catelonia, but I would imagine that it gets harder to find the further you are from the north. When there, just ask a local where the nearest sidreria is.

Some historical info available here www.museodelasidra.com

Enjoy!