• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ribena

mjr_inthegardens

always used to drink this in England and have seen it lately in Key Food in Brooklyn

bottle lasts a long time because you dilute it with water to imbibe

I wonder if it'd be good with a little vodka mixed in.

any other fans?

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Ribena is luscious, but does nasty things to your sugar intake. Avoid low-sugar or blackcurrant-and-apple versions

when I was in university I drank it by the pint.

I can confirm Ribena and vodka makes a wonderful summer cocktail - best thing is when you throw in a handful of frozen raspberries in lieu of ice-cubes :raz:

It would also, theoretically, make wonderful milkshakes but unfortunately curdles milk

On a related note, I had blackcurrant cordial with lager in a polish mountain hut once. Tastes a lot better than it sounds!

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Ribena is great with Pernod; and for that ultimate sugar hit when you're doing an all-nighter in Uni, having a cola with a dash of ribena is very sugary.

We always have ribena in the house, and we usually have it with sparkling mineral water.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 2 months later...

Always had it in the house as a child, introduced my kids to it and they love it (why not? intense sugar fix!!) use it mixed with selzer & a dash of lime or sometimes bitters!

Portia

A one up for "Ribena Drinkers".

If there are any larger Asian Supermarkets in your area, then buy your Ribena from them. They import it from Asia and the price is often less then 1/2 of the brands sold in most regular Supermarkets or Fancy Food Stores.

The amount of sugar consumed is less then most soft drinks since the Ribena s more concentated and the Vitamins are much higher. I makes a excellent flavor for Ice Cream.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

We always have ribena in the house, and we usually have it with sparkling mineral water.

They sell that bottled up here in Malaysia - Sparkling Ribena. :biggrin:

We also have Ribena 'jellies'.

• 1 month later...

My family is from Malaysia and we moved to Canada when I was just a baby. For as long as I can remember, Ribena was a staple in our house. But I always just mixed it with water and pretty much got bored of it.

But some of your variations sound fantastic and I think I may pick up a bottle for old times sake! It's been so long since I've had it.

do not, whatever you do, buy the 'Toothkind' (green foil round the top) kind. it is minging. the reduced-sugar one isn't bad (blue foil) and certainly reduces the sugar-induced hysteria you get after drinking pints of it.

edited to add:

Enough Ribena to Incarnadine the Multitudinous Seas

that is the best title I've ever seen! thank you, ballast_regime!

Fi

Edited by curlywurlyfi (log)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

it is minging.

Westside! :blink:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I loved this stuff when I was in England, but have only seen it via mail order here. Seems like the price was about $12 a bottle, so it was out of my league, especially when you add the postage price.

I do have a question though, does it contain any artificial sweeteners? (obviously the diet version does, but I mean the regular).

I've gotten a bottle before at a local Indian grocer for about $4... They stock a lot of British goods at this particular grocer (some imported directly from India, and some from the UK). A great, cheap source for Hobnobs, PG Tips tea and Heinz baked beans as well... You might want to check one out in your town.