• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Canadian Bacon

Marlene

As noted in the Toronto Star Digest, here on eG.

The food lovers of Toronto have spoken — forcefully, argumentatively, persuasively.

Hogtown needs a signature dish. (No it doesn't.)

Let's be pro-active citizens and create one. (It won't be authentic unless it creates itself.)

Making the Hogtown — peameal bacon on a sourdough bun slathered with maple mustard — the taste of Toronto is an awesome idea. (It's ridiculous beyond belief.)

Toronto (or Hogtown as we are affectionately known) speak out on the concept of having a Toronto "signature" dish. So, fellow Torontonians, I want your opinion. Do we need a special dish to call our own? Is this the right dish?

Discuss!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Leave a bag of unmarked twenties in the washroom of the Starbucks on Robson and Thurlow, the cool north one, not the trendy south one, or I'll cross post this to the Vancouver board, and then all the smart mouthed lotus eaters will flood in here and make a mockery of Canada's number one city.

Leave a bag of unmarked twenties in the washroom of the Starbucks on Robson and Thurlow, the cool north one, not the trendy south one, or I'll cross post this to the Vancouver board, and then all the smart mouthed lotus eaters will flood in here and make a mockery of Canada's number one city.

I don't think that's quite what I meant by discuss. :biggrin: And I never step willingly into any Starbucks. :raz:

I also happen to like the West Coast :raz:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Peameal bacon on a bun is already the signature food of Toronto, in much the same way that smoked meat is for Montreal. Why does it require a special designation?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Peameal bacon on a bun is already the signature food of Toronto, in much the same way that smoked meat is for Montreal. Why does it require a special designation?

I don't know. But the Star thinks it does. I'd really prefer to do away with "Hogtown" though :biggrin:

Marlene

Just what is "Canadian Bacon?" The only thing that seems to be available south of the border is Canadian "style" bacon which suggests to me that the real thing is probably qualitatively different and likely better.

Just what is "Canadian Bacon?" The only thing that seems to be available south of the border is Canadian "style" bacon which suggests to me that the real thing is probably qualitatively different and likely better.

"Canadian bacon" and "peameal bacon" are two different things.

Peameal is a brine cured loin, coated in cornmeal.

Canadian bacon is a smoke cured loin. Usually. Although it's referred to in Canada as "back bacon" never "Canadian bacon."

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I had thought that "peameal" bacon was the same thing as "Canadian" bacon because historically the Canadians fed their pigs peameal instead of whatever the American hogs got.

Presumably the peameal made for more tender and better flavoured meat.

By the way, is that really peameal that coats Canadian bacon? It seems to me to be more like cornmeal.