• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caesar Salad

frogprincess

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I like the Zuni Cafe recipe for Caesar Salad. Very traditional. The only change I make is to reduce the eggs from two to one. Seems like plenty. Also I use pecorino or piave cheese, since I typically have one or the other on hand. The anchovies I get may be saltier than some, since I never need to add salt.

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/zuni-cafe-caesar-salad/713610

And the pecorino you're using most likely tastes a lot saltier than parmesan.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, KennethT said:

While this is not at all even close to the real thing, my go-to for a simple week night salad dressing based on the Caesar - but (hold your gasps now) without the cheese (we try to be healthy during the week).  I make a paste of garlic and salt, then put in the bowl with lemon or lime juice and a few splashes of fish sauce (this kind of gives the hint of the anchovies).  I let the garlic marinate in the acid for a while while I get the rest of dinner going.  Just before plating, I'll whisk in some extra virgin olive oil, then dress and plate.  Is it as good as the Caesar of my memories?  Absolutely not.  Is it fast and tasty - sure is.

I love fish sauce for this! When I want it to be quick, I just whip some ready made mayonaise and garlic sauce together. To thin it out and tang it up, I add apple cider vinegar and fish sauce. No skimping on the cheese though. It always disappoints me when people finely grate the parmesan, as I like having the texture with the salt crystals and such.

Hmm, I going to make one tonight🤤

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Another non-authentic but tasty salad dressing. If you don't have or don't want to use anchovies, use pitted kalamata olives instead. I've made this dressing in a stand blender. I like anchovies as well, but this is a nice alternative.

Miso also works great as a substitute too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also use RB-40 in place of anchovies 

if I open a can of A's , they never get used.

it just gets the job done.

I cook a 1-minute egg , out of the refrigerator into

simmering water , then rinse in cold water to handle , and use that egg

being careful to scrape out all the solids that cling to the shell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I also use RB-40 in place of anchovies 

if I open a can of A's , they never get used.

it just gets the job done.

I cook a 1-minute egg , out of the refrigerator into

simmering water , then rinse in cold water to handle , and use that egg

being careful to scrape out all the solids that cling to the shell.

Googled RB-40.  All I can find are references to early retirement (Retire Before 40).  I need to know bc I have the same issues with opening anchovies and using 2 filets and a year later throwing the scary jar away.

7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Googled RB-40.  All I can find are references to early retirement (Retire Before 40).  I need to know bc I have the same issues with opening anchovies and using 2 filets and a year later throwing the scary jar away.

He is referring to Red Boat 40 fish sauce from Vietnam   https://redboatfishsauce.com/products/red-boat-fish-sauce-40-n-64-oz  ersonally I think any fish sauce wwill do In these desperate time the onky one my delivery service has is Thai Kitchen. And I usually use 3 Crabs as does my Viet born great friend.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

you drop a glass jar of this stuff in your kitchen , you will be moving to Alaska !

The glass tends to be pretty thick but you get salt crystallization at pour spout - no big deal - rinse so you can close. I do not care for the Filipino  patis. as a general ingredient.

Thank you, @heidih and @rotuts!  I just went and looked and the brand I have is Thai Kitchen - probably because I'm trying to lessen the number of different stores I go to and that's what Food Lion or Kroger stocks.  We love fish sauce and use it the same way I use Worcestershire - drop by drop when a dish needs "something", but you're not sure what!  Mr. Kim is not a huge mac n cheese fan, but when I was testing recipes for @Michael Ruhlman, I cooked his Macaroni and Cheese w/ Soubise, which has fish sauce, and Mr. Kim loved it.  I'm convinced it's the fish sauce that makes the difference in that for him.  

• Like 4

I buy fine quality Italian anchovy in oil.   After opening them, I keep them in the refrigerator for...months even.   I don't notice a change in quality over time.    Especially as really good ones are easy to use, adding flavor pique without "anchovy in your face" intrusion.     Note: I have always hated anchovies but find myself reaching for these often.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.