• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat-Guy on "Food Talk" Friday Oct. 5

Fat Guy

I'll be on Food Talk with Arthur Schwartz this Friday, October 5, at 12:00 noon on WOR 710 AM New York. Arthur and I will discuss eGullet, as well as my other work, food and restaurants in general, and whatever else strikes our fancy. Please tune in, and feel free to give us a call.

You should also be able to listen to the show online.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Just read your post Steven, and tuned to the listening channel, plus I have my alarm set for Friday at noon. I have to hear your voice, and certainly will listen to the program of such interest. What other times are you on?

Peter

Peter

This is a one-shot deal. Well, actually, I go on Arthur's show approximately every two years. I also do the Ron & Fez show on WNEW 102.7 FM occasionally, but there's no regular schedule for that -- I usually find out the same day. I'll try to be better about posting my media appearances here.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Don't forget to join us today, folks -- and call in!

eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet.

eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet.

eGullet. eGullet.

eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet. eGullet.

eGullet.

:)

On my way out to meet someone for lunch... so someone will have to fill me in on the rest of the show.

(Edited by jhlurie at 12:22 pm on Oct. 5, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yes, it was me. I'd never been on the radio before, and when I'm nervous my voice reaches a high pitched squeal.

Btw, Murray's chickens aren't as good as the ad on the show said. Gianone (sp?) chickens are the best. Air dried, from Canada. Jefferson Market has them.

Fat Guy: I enjoyed the show. A very fine performance.  And funny to boot.

Thanks Yvonne, and I think you have a beautiful voice.

Oh, no, Rosie! You missed Yvonne! I'll play you the tape.

Very enjoyable show I thought. I tried to phone in but I discovered that international calls are barred on my work supplied mobile and I was on the internet on my land line, ####!  

I e mailed Arthur just in case he was monitoring e mail for questions during the show, but obviously not.

Those endorsements are a pain because they are seamless from the actual content so you don't quite realise immeadiately that Arthur has gone from expressing his own   opinion to reading from a script (yes, I know that's the point). I guess that's commercial reality for these stations, but it's a little annoying.  

The real content however was very entertaining, shame you're not on more regularly.      

Steven, Never thought you having a "soft" voice, as it appeared to be, to me. I liked the part of "World domination" and "departing Lawyer", in you comments, and what Mr. Schwarz said you being a "Foodwriter with a straight face". Also, what is "Lithuanian" about the annunciation of "Zaggett" and "Zagaaht"?. Thanks for setting us straight about the "dining" capital and not "eating" capital being New York. Overall: great to listen to, and thank you for the advance note with direct URL to the radio station.

Peter

Peter, thanks for the praise. I love praise! The crack about Lithuanian pronunciation was a Yiddish joke, though not a particularly good one. In Yiddish there's a lot of variation in vowel pronunciation between the Litvak and the Galitzianer dialects. So it's "di" and "du," etc. As I said, not a very funny joke, but sometimes you just say what comes to mind.

P.S. Can you elaborate on "soft" versus "hard" voices? Should I be flattered that my voice is soft? I hope it's more praise!