• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

So is it just my notorious bad luck, or is Ray's the Steaks' reservation line that hard to get through? I've been calling since the regulated time of 1400, and so far, no joy.

I feel like when someone finally answers, I should get a free t-shirt in exchange for answering questions about cuts of meat. I am the nth caller, after all.

(Pick meeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

+++

Post script: I got through. I think my redial function was being silly, but my eGulletish tenacity won through. :cool:

Edited by baranoouji (log)

Is that a dumpy, balding, middle-aged man I detect on the right in the picture?

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Depends on how you define "dumpy." If 6'3", 210 lbs and a size 46 jacket is dumpy, then yes.

I hope I didn't cause offense. I was referring to the rather funny discussion further up this thread and should have realized the picture was from someone here. By the way, at 6 feet, 175, unshaven, and in jeans and a sweatshirt, I definitely am the better candidate for "dumpy."

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Depends on how you define "dumpy." If 6'3", 210 lbs and a size 46 jacket is dumpy, then yes.

Stallion alert, ladies. And he's single!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Now the real reason behind egullet's existence comes out.

Write up your dining experiences in a way that others want to join you. = Arrange group events. = Get own pictures taken. = Post the most flattering ones in a popular thread. = Casually drop the "single" reference, ever so cleverly working the jacket size into the comment. = Get twelve PM's asking self out for drinkies.

A cunningly circuitous but nevertheless effective route.

eGullet: A dating club with an eating problem.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

God, it's great to have high friends in low places.

Edited to add: What would I look like at 6'3", 210 lbs and a size 42 jacket? (Answer: the pants and the jacket would be the same size). And, group events are organized at another place the name of which is a mouthful to say.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Now the real reason behind egullet's existence comes out. 

Write up your dining experiences in a way that others want to join you. = Arrange group events. = Get own pictures taken. = Post the most flattering ones in a popular thread. = Casually drop the "single" reference, ever so cleverly working the jacket size into the comment. = Get twelve PM's asking self out for drinkies.

A cunningly circuitous but nevertheless effective route.

eGullet: A dating club with an eating problem.

Remember - eG is not, I repeat NOT, a lonley hearts club.

Bill Russell

God, it's great to have high friends in low places.

Edited to add:  What would I look like at 6'3", 210 lbs and a size 42 jacket? (Answer: the pants and the jacket would be the same size).  And, group events are organized at another place the name of which is a mouthful to say.

I think something is up with that link. Still, it could be worse. I sent two of our esteemed eg friends to a very, very different mouthfuls site. :blink: I'm still apologizing.

[edited to add that the site might just be down period.]

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Go on and hate me bitches:  I have a reservation tonight.  I am dreaming of the cream sauce all over my filet.

Damn, that sounded dirty.

It did.

Got a smoke?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Go on and hate me bitches:  I have a reservation tonight.  I am dreaming of the cream sauce all over my filet.

One of the best posts I have ever read in YEARS of reading message boards.....

Perhaps a script writer for Deadwood?

Not if it doesn't use one of those two wonderfully descriptive words that starts with a "C" that they love so much.

Ray's had got to be better than the restaurant at E. B. Farnum's hotel.

Bill Russell

Sounds like a new skit for the Chappelle Show. Maybe he could do an R. Kelly song about it.

Not a script writer for Deadwood, but I am a Teamster. That kind of explains it...I think.

Jennifer

24 hours 'til my first Ray's experience!  Woo hoo!  I can't wait. 

Hopefully I can snag a hanger steak for my friend - it's her birthday dinner and I think she'd like it.  It's better than the filet, no?

Defintely better than the filet. Although my favorite is the flatiron. Texture is more like a filet, but with more flavor.

Bill Russell

24 hours 'til my first Ray's experience!  Woo hoo!  I can't wait. 

Hopefully I can snag a hanger steak for my friend - it's her birthday dinner and I think she'd like it.  It's better than the filet, no?

Defintely better than the filet. Although my favorite is the flatiron. Texture is more like a filet, but with more flavor.

Michael will tell you that the only reason he serves filets is becahse he has to. There is too much customer expectation. Bil lis right that either the hanger or the flat irons would be much better than the filet. My favorites are the rib eye (cowboy cut, so big it hangs over the edges of the plate) and the 20 oz. strip. Consider getting either the crumbled bleu cheese or the diablo sauce, both available on the steak or on the side.

And do not forget the blackened scallops. They are not to be missed. Go with a half order as an appetizer.

Oooh, interesting note about the flatiron, bilrus. So what exactly is the difference between the hanger and the flatiron? They're both butcher cuts with more flavor but then what? My friend recommended the rib eye for the tasty marbling...::sighs with happiness::

Blackened scallops are already on my radar as is the key lime pie. My steak's gonna be nekkid with some onions and mushrooms on the side. I wonder if I'll be blessed with a cup of hot chocolate? Then again, it's spring - not really hot chocolate season.

The hanger has a slightly more "organy" taste and I think it is generally a little chewier cut. The flatiron has a more-fliet like texture but more beefiness (if there is such a thing).

Bill Russell