• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

Thanks, bilrus! I'll reserve a flatiron for my friend, then. She would normally get a filet and I think she'd appreciate a nice butcher's cut instead. She doesn't like gristle or fat on her steak or "organy" things(opposite of me).

I think I'll dive in with a ribeye. Hopefully I can burn off the calories the next day dragon boating on the river! (Ok, very un-foodie of me to say that but it is getting warmer...)::grin::

mnebergall may be "balding", which is a genetic thing which we won't hold against him, but he would NEVER be described as "dumpy". Besides, he dresses too well for criticism. Maybe it's my age, but I do love a man who looks good in a suit.

BTW, my DH had a dream about roller blading on an Interstate. After this long description of his dream, he mentioned that BUSBOY was also roller blading in this scenario.

What's up with THAT?

I would like an update on Mrs. Busboy and her recent collar-bone problem.

Edited by rosebud (log)

:wub: Ray's the Steaks :wub:

My first dinner at Ray's was delightful! Here's what my friend and I ordered.

Crab bisque

Blackened Scallops

Hanger steak, medium rare (me)

Cajun rib eye, medium well (my friend)

(on the side: 'Taters 'n spinach)

Mushrooms

Key lime

Chocolate mousse

Hot chocolate (Yippy, we got the hot chocolate!)

The spiced cashews were a nice little treat - I had to stop myself from eating too much! The bread was good - great for sopping up the last of the soup. I must confess, I did strong arm her into ordering the crab bisque mainly 'cause I wanted to try some. She wanted to get the salad instead. (I'm sure he does salads well but C'MON! A salad?!) The scallops were divine. I want to go back and just have the soup and scallops for dinner one of these days.

I really liked how my steak was done - it was a bit more on the rare of medium rare which was perfect for me. That hanger steak was juicy as heck, I tell you what. My friend's rib eye was flavorful and good - not great only because it was medium well. That's no fault of Ray's just me and my taste buds! :laugh:

The creamed spinach was sooo good! I liked how it wasn't overly creamy or too oily like some places. I could actually taste the spinach. 'Taters were yummy!

My friend and I both commented on how lean the steaks were. Is corn fed beef more lean? That's great for those who like lean beef - I will ask our server the next time I go if I can get a piece that's a wee bit marbled (does he do requests?). Oh and the hanger steak leftovers tasted great the next day.

Desserts were perfect - just the right portion size. The key lime was nice and tart and the chocolate mousse satisfied my cocco jones. My only thing with the desserts is that I'd like to have the key lime with more of that meringue (I think that's what it was) on the side - the small dollop wasn't enough for me. (Perhaps I'm a wee bit greedy.)

The surprise of the night was that my friend's dessert was on the house because "the steak was overcooked". We were plesantly surprised at this extra bit of customer service. (FYI our server was great!) That was a nice touch!

It's nice to enjoy a great steak in a casual setting without all the stuffiness associated with traditional steakhouses. I'd definitely go again.

Edited b/c I can't spell to save my life...::sighs::

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dining at RTS tonight as well -- early res for 6 or so. I'll be at the table with three other guys behaving badly. Boys night out... :wink:

Edited to remove anything that smacks of fraternization

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Ate at Ray's on Saturday night. First time there. My wife and I had our 9th wedding anniversary earlier last week and decided that we were all up for the food (screw romance, give us steak).

We set up an 8:30pm reservation per Jared's suggestion in case we wanted to linger for awhile. It was nice having that luxury, but we were out of there pretty early.

After finding parking (Arlington is very unforgiving if you miss a spot), we were promptly seated at 8:30. We noticed a large group waiting for a table, they too had a 8:30pm reservation, and the occupants of their future table were discretely notified that they had exceeded their 90 minute allotment at about 8:40 or so.

We hinted at getting a suggestion on the wine, but were simply give a few extra minutes to figure it out. A different waitress came over and we ordered a bottle they were out of, but picked another in the same pinot noir section. Wine prices were very, very reasonable.

I ordered the app size order of scallops. They were excellent, with only one scallop having a strange consistency (taste was fine, and it was fresh). Jules had the mixed green salad as she is unable to have eggs or dairy for the next few months. Waitress understood the reasons for the no egg/dairy, it was noted on our reservation, and the staff were very accomodating.

The foccacia like bread that came out was certainly not the highlight of the meal. It was a bit doughy in the not exactly cooked 100% sense, but it was such a minor point that it barely registers as a complaint. Especially when you consider the steaks....

We both ordered the Hangar steaks. I went rare, Jules went medium. I've been used to restaurants not exactly adhering to the meaning of rare and getting something more towards medium rare or even medium.

Well, I think I'll be ordering medium rare from now on. The steak was excellent, but Michael and his staff really do know the temperatures and obviously know about resting times. This steak was a wee bit too bloody for my taste, but nonetheless I ate almost the entire portion. It was an excellent cut of beef. I really enjoyed it.

Because of the dairy/egg amnesty, they brought a garlic fried potato dish and steamed broccoli. I was joking to my wife that she screwed me out of the mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. The waitress, who actually didn't hear me, came over and offered me the proper sides. I accepted...I salivated over them, my wife scowled at me. I told her to eat her broccoli. It turned out to be perfectly steamed.

I had a slice of key lime pie and coffee while Jules had a bowl of plain ripe strawberries. Considering the cost of everything else at Ray's is a bargain, $5 for a wineglass of strawberries was a tad expensive given market price these days for fresh ripe strawberries, but again, the place seems to have a set $5 dessert price so that's fair enough. Pie was nice. Coffee doesn't suck. Very good, in fact.

We were out in little over an hour, but that was our choice. The only, only bad service point I have is that our check arrived with our dessert. Since we weren't limited by time, I was a bit surprised by that, but again, they weren't shooing us out.

Price was absurdly very reasonable at $104 with wine, before tip.

I'll certainly go back and try some of the other cuts. The strip was certainly very appealing.

It was noisy, but not in an irritating way, just bustling like I expected. We could easily hear each other, and that was refreshing.

Just a note if you made it this far, they are currently not offering the Flat Iron Steak cut. They are in hangar mode and Jared said in butchering, it is either one or the other.

"You don't like your job, you don't strike... you just go in there every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." --Homer

I am afraid there was only one word for Friday night dinner--perfunctory...

Last time we were there, I raved about how great everything was in spite of Michael not being in the kitchen. Not the case on Friday.

Two medium hanger steaks--one was perfect, one was seriously rare. Now I was a wuss and didn't send it back. So that's on me...

But the service just wasn't there. We weren't quite rushed but it felt like we were a burden when I asked for wine suggestions. No thank you for coming at the end of the meal. Just not the Ray's we are used to.

It was also the first time we left without immediately deciding when we we wanted to go back.

And I missed the hot chocolate.... The peanut butter stuff did nothing for me.

Sigh...

Jennifer

Well we came in for the early shift on Friday. Two colleagues from work, one of whom had not yet enjoyed the RTS experience, and my brother, a former server at Morton's (employee of the year, etc.) also a first timer at Ray's. Because we were one of only a few parties at that hour, we benefited from Jarad's ability to offer suggestions on the wine. Helped the ongoing consolidation of the wine list by consuming a couple of bottles of their burgundy -- available now at bargain prices. Since even at drastically reduced price the first one we had was pricey, Jarad insisted we order another bottle after detecting the first was corked. I couldn't tell -- guess I've been drinking a lot of corked bottles in my life -- but the second bottle was much fresher tasting.

3 NY Strips and 1 Cowboy.

We had three votes for best steaks ever consumed, and my brother conceded that they were on a par with Morton's. Will return with an even larger group within a short time. Just difficult to find a Friday when we can all participate.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Just a note if you made it this far, they are currently not offering the Flat Iron Steak cut. They are in hangar mode and Jared said in butchering, it is either one or the other.

Actually that is not entirely accurate... Flat Iron is from the chuck and hanger is from the inside of the cow near the diaphram... Not even close to the same thing.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Actually that is not entirely accurate... Flat Iron is from the chuck and hanger is from the inside of the cow near the diaphram... Not even close to the same thing.

I've not butchered a whole lotta cows, so I'm only going off the info that Jarad provided that night. Now I need to go open up some of my texts when I get home.

"You don't like your job, you don't strike... you just go in there every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." --Homer

I am coming to the DC area from Houston this weekend. I lived in Arlington for 5 years, back when Faccia Luna was the only "new" restaurant on Wash Blvd and you had your choice of 50 parking spots, no matter when.

I read Tom S. chat on Wednesdays religiously and also the Sunday Post online so the whole weekend has been plotted out around food and after much thought, my sister and I agreed to go to RTS. I am extremely picky about beef, and tend not to order it outside of Texas (nb: I am not a Texan, but have been here for some time). I like rare to mean cold and red, and I think filet is for wusses. So I am very excited to try RTS this Saturday and happy to hear there are good buys on some burgundies (you would cry if you could hear about the state of French wine availability in Houston b/c of people "boycotting" France b/c Iraq, luckily things are getting better for the restaurant industry and we have a couple of new excellent French restaurants. There was even a French restaurant that was vandalized at the start of the war!).

My husband thinks I am insane that I know every restaurant we are eating at this weekend and about 75% of the items we will order at each one. I hope RTS lives up to the expectations I have for it, especially after reading what all y'all (!!!) have been saying.

Passable guide to possible cuts (broken down by primal sections) here. Flatiron, aka top blade steak, is listed under chuck, hanger is listed under breast and flank.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Passable guide to possible cuts (broken down by primal sections) here. Flatiron, aka top blade steak, is listed under chuck, hanger is listed under breast and flank.

And, if you get by a real butcher (Union in Eastern Market, for example), get him to show you the two cuts and consder taking them home to cook yourself. (Soem homework is more fun than other) They look and taste very different from one another.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I am coming to the DC area from Houston this weekend.  I lived in Arlington for 5 years, back when Faccia Luna was the only "new" restaurant on Wash Blvd and you had your choice of 50 parking spots, no matter when.

I read Tom S. chat on Wednesdays religiously and also the Sunday Post online so the whole weekend has been plotted out around food and after much thought, my sister and I agreed to go to RTS.  I am extremely picky about beef, and tend not to order it outside of Texas (nb: I am not a Texan, but have been here for some time).  I like rare to mean cold and red, and I think filet is for wusses.  So I am very excited to try RTS this Saturday and happy to hear there are good buys on some burgundies (you would cry if you could hear about the state of French wine availability in Houston b/c of people "boycotting" France b/c Iraq, luckily things are getting better for the restaurant industry and we have a couple of new excellent French restaurants.  There was even a French restaurant that was vandalized at the start of the war!).

My husband thinks I am insane that I know every restaurant we are eating at this weekend and about 75% of the items we will order at each one.  I hope RTS lives up to the expectations I have for it, especially after reading what all y'all (!!!) have been saying.

And btw, on behalf of Texas, I apologize for President Shrub.

Where do you go for steak in Houston? Pappas Bros? To me Ray's "feels" like a restaurant in NOLA by the way. Where else are you going?

having butchered many a cow, the hanger is one of the muscles that holds in the diaphram and not from the flank or breast. it is physically inside the cavity of the carcass. fyi...

having butchered many a cow, the hanger is one of the muscles that holds in the diaphram and not from the flank or breast.  it is physically inside the cavity of the carcass.  fyi...

Yeah, but there's not a primal cut category for "inside the chest cavity." Location-wise, it's closest to the breast/flank. So, getting back to the original point, it's highly unlikely that one could section out a carcass in such a manner that it wouldn't produce both flatiron and hanger steaks, unless you're sectioning the chuck for roasts or the flank/diaphragm for fajitas (neither of which are all that likely for Ray's).

Edited by hannnah (log)
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Due to our extended aging cycle, the exacting and time-consuming standards necessary to prepare these cuts correctly, and the unpredictability of the frequency with which guests order these lesser-known cuts we have found it possible to offer only one of these cuts at a time and maintain the quality and proper aging of the meat.

That is what Jarad meant by "it is one or the other."

As much as I love the flat iron, the onglet (if you have to choose one) is the better, more distinctive choice.

The onglet, or hanger, is from the diaphragm area. The flat iron is the fileted paleron muscle from the front shoulder, or chuck. Do not buy either of these cuts if they have not been aged at least twenty-one days (we age more than double that) before trimming.

We are more than happy to answer any question concerning our product or any other cut of beef at 703/841-7297--leave a message and I will call you back at the earliest convenience.

Further, if anyone is interested in a primer on the fabrication of any cut, feel free to visit us and we will be happy to give as detailed a lesson as you would like. Call to arrange a visit. We cut meat everyday, Tuesday through Sunday, from 11 AM until 5 PM, and all are welcome. Not only is this an excellent way to learn about beef, but it is an excellent opportunity to solve the seemingly impenetrable mystery of what it is that we do when we are not answering the phones.

having butchered many a cow, the hanger is one of the muscles that holds in the diaphram and not from the flank or breast.  it is physically inside the cavity of the carcass.  fyi...

Yeah, but there's not a primal cut category for "inside the chest cavity." Location-wise, it's closest to the breast/flank. So, getting back to the original point, it's highly unlikely that one could section out a carcass in such a manner that it wouldn't produce both flatiron and hanger steaks, unless you're sectioning the chuck for roasts or the flank/diaphragm for fajitas (neither of which are all that likely for Ray's).

This makes no sense. Flat Iron is flat iron, hanger is hanger... Neither the two will meet even anatomically. Hanger steak is a flap of meat that hangs (get it) from the cavity of the animal. It is no where near the flank or breast it is inside amidships.

Due to our extended aging cycle, the exacting and time-consuming standards necessary to prepare these cuts correctly, and the unpredictability of the frequency with which guests order these lesser-known cuts we have found it possible to offer only one of these cuts at a time and maintain the quality and proper aging of the meat.

As much as I love the flat iron, the onglet (if you have to choose one) is the better, more distinctive choice.

The onglet, or hanger, is from the diaphragm area. The flat iron is the fileted paleron muscle from the front shoulder, or chuck. Do not buy either of these cuts if they have not been aged at least twenty-one days (we age more than double that) before trimming.

We are more than happy to answer any question concerning our product or any other cut of beef at 703/841-7297--leave a message and I will call you back at the earliest convenience.

Further, if anyone is interested in a primer on the fabrication of any cut, feel free to visit us and we will be happy to give as detailed a lesson as you would like. Call to arrange a visit. We cut meat everyday, Tuesday through Sunday, from 11 AM until 5 PM, and all are welcome. Not only is this an excellent way to learn about beef, but it is an excellent opportunity to solve the seemingly impenetrable mystery of what it is that we do when we are not answering the phones.

that makes more sense. thank you for the clarification

Last time we were there, I raved about how great everything was in spite of Michael not being in the kitchen. Not the case on Friday.

This is something I had hoped would be discussed a little more here. With the advent of the new Ray's, I've often worried if one could distinguish a meal based on whether or not Michael was in the kitchen. (When I run out of things in life to worry about, I usually look for new ones.)

In the year or so that I've been following the RTS discussions, I think the above post is the first I can remember where someone wasn't entirely happy with the way the steak came out. Cause for concern?

Thanks Michael for clarifying that. It makes total sense now. I'm really showing my ignorance in these first posts on EG. I think I need to go back and do some review.

Thanks Michael for clarifying that. It makes total sense now. I'm really showing my ignorance in these first posts on EG. I think I need to go back and do some review.

Chris, there was no ignorance on your part what so ever. You merely repeated in good faith what you were told. Your post was thoughtful, intelligent, comprehensive and very, very welcome and appreciated.

Much in the world of beef is subject to confusion and misunderstanding. And, all human communications are, alas, imperfect.

Edited by landrumm2000 (log)