• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

Wow. There really is nothing I can say about Ray's that would significantly add to everything that is already stated here. Simply incredible on every level. Michael's menu and the dishes that come out of the kitchen deliver on everything that's promised. It's blatantly obvious that he wants all of his guests to have a wonderful meal and he absolutely delivers.

Michael, thank you to you and your staff for your welcome and your generosity. I have now found a use for the Orange Line. I hope to use it often.

Edited by syzygy8 (log)

Hello all,

I'm a longtime lurker who was finally inspired to join so I could publicly acknowledge the fantastic experience my wife and I had at Ray's The Steaks yesterday. After reading all the raves I came in expecting greatness, and I can report that greatness was indeed delivered.

We started with the crab bisque and the onion soup (and traded midway through so each could enjoy both amazing appetizers). For our steaks, my wife had the NY strip done black and blue, while I went with the monstrous cowboy cut ribeye with garlic, onions, and horesradish. Both were phenomenal.

And Michael was a truly gracious host. The Terra Valentine Cabernet he recommended was excellent, and he surprised us with a chocolate mousse for dessert even though neither of us could claim membership in the clean-plate club due to the size of the steaks. I'm looking forward to enjoying the leftovers tonight.

Thanks, Michael, for a wonderful time. I'm already planning our next visit!

--Scott

You know, I thought dry-aging ribs made them shrink...

But my wife (who had to miss this evening's session) is a very happy girl tonight. And tomorrow night. And breakfast the next day. And lunch.

Oh, and you best get your bottle of Vajra Nebbiolo before I drink it all.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Hello all,

I'm a longtime lurker who was finally inspired to join so I could publicly acknowledge the fantastic experience my wife and I had at Ray's The Steaks yesterday. 

--Scott

Welcome to eG, Scott. Glad you decided to delurk and thank you for that great report. I regret that I couldn't have the opportunity to dine at RTS on my recent visit, but it will be at the top of my list when I return.

Thanks again,

Yetty

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

• 2 weeks later...
Can this be true?

Scroll to post #19.

Yep.

Holy Hooligan Batman! Is Jarad going to stay in Arlington or at the Maryland branch -- or both?

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Well this is one restaurant that lived up to its hype. Mark N. was kind enough to organize a wonderful dinner there last night. Here are some of the pictures from this 'on the whim' event.

gallery_13867_812_32689.jpg

Our fearless leader Mark, with MDT

gallery_13867_812_19996.jpg

Barbara and Craig

gallery_13867_812_10333.jpg

Stretch, aka Andrew

gallery_13867_812_51909.jpg

gallery_13867_812_63212.jpg

The star of this picture are those mashed potatoes!

gallery_13867_812_66181.jpg

20 oz house special (brandy cream sauce w/blue cheese)

gallery_13867_812_36701.jpg

A man and his castle

gallery_13867_812_36821.jpg

Le chef

gallery_13867_812_29150.jpg

{Insert clever comment here}

Edited by DCMark (log)

As I happened to have been in the vicinity of RTS yesterday afternoon (ate lunch at Guajilo), I pressed my face against the window and witnessed the feverish preparation of Michael and his crew for this event. Glad to see that it went well. wouldn't want to disappoint a distinguished group of members of the Society (or that any undue arrogance was exhibited :raz: ).

mnebergall tells me that, with sufficient interest, another such dinner could be organized.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

My only "beef" with last night's dinner was that I only got one of those incredible scallops. I'd go back just to eat those. Craig ordered the key lime pie to share with me. This morning he said, "Maybe I should have ordered the strawberries and cream instead."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I ate the strawberry that came on the pie before you could get to it, and it tasted LIKE A REAL STRAWBERRY!" :shock:

an innovative expression of respect for classic American dining

yes, but what does this even mean?

:wink:

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I've learned to trust that whatever Michael wants cook I will eagerly consume without objection or question.

This is an empire in the making. And to think there was a time when you could just walk into Ray's The Steaks and get a table whenever you wanted......even though Michael told me I should really try and make a reservation first, I've never been that good at listening.

Oddly incongruous talent coming together"

One might argue that there is an aspect of "idiot savant" going on here, but the case that Landrum is a very astute businessman and taletned chef and knows full well what he is doing would win out.

an innovative expression of respect for classic American dining

yes, but what does this even mean?

:wink:

Who the f- knows? None of what I say even makes sense to me. In fact, I have no clue as to anything I say or do...unless I am drunk, in which case it all makes sense.

By the way, who are these other guys Tom was talking about? I don't know either of them. The names even sound made up.

Fine dining experience is all well and good, but, most importantly, do they know anything about coffee?

:laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W