• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

I have a reservation at  Rays in a couple of weeks and I was wondering about corkage fee.  Is there one?

To be on the safe side, you should call the restaurant and ask them what their policy is. If jparrot is right, the restaurant has no discretion in the matter and you could put the management in an awkward position should you bring in a bottle.

Let's see how much I can remember the day after:

We arrived at 6:30, as I unfortunately couldn't remember if I had a 6:30 or 7pm reservation. I usually write things down, and this is what happens when I don't. That being said, the woman who greeted us very graciously accommodated us.

We sat down at our table, and it was fairly quiet for most of our meet. The place was just getting hopping as we left. Fred and I were in love with the place from the moment we sat down. The atmosphere, was honeslty, just perfect. Very simple. We snacked on the deliciously spicy cashews while we got a wine recommendation. The 2002 Franciscan Cab delivered as promised. It melted in our mouths almost as easy as the steaks themselves. It was a great pairing.

Fred had a caesar salad, but I knew I wanted to save room for the main course. We also had a taste of the wonderful herbed bread. I went with the hangar steak, with onions and garlic (which outed us as egulleters to our wonderful chef! - my husband said I turned all shades of red). I can't believe I even debated NOT having this steak. Thanks to all who recommended it. It was wonderful. It was flavorful and may be one of the best steaks I have ever had. My husband had the house special, and upon eating it, he said "This kick's Morton's a** so hard". The creamed spinach was flavorful and rich as well, a real treat. The mashed potatoes also added to make the meal complete. He had tons more comments like that throughout the evening.

The staff were wonderful hosts, checking on our needs regularly without being the least bit intrusive. Every recommendation made was on the mark. We really felt like we were in someone's home.

We ended the evening with the berries and cream for me and the key lime pie for Fred. Both were the perfect ending to the meal - except we had a wonderful suprise. We and other tables were treated to a taste of hot chocolate. We talked on the way home about the fact that there was nothing that could have made the meal any better, truly.

Thanks to all for a great night - we look forward to a swift return!

That's 'Commonwealth' to you!

(And you're right, I think)

Correct. No corkage. But do not despair... Michael selects excellent wines and is very modest with his prices. Cheers!

I must say however, that I need to change my status to an "egullible" member, not egullet. Someone mentioned earlier that you can ask for an unfinished bottle of wine in VA to be resealed and take it to go in a bag. I actually asked for that last night and felt VERY silly when I was told no (my own fault, not in any way shape or form did I feel silly because of the staff!). Oh well, if I weren't trusting, I would never have had the hanger steak!

That's 'Commonwealth' to you!

(And you're right, I think)

Correct. No corkage. But do not despair... Michael selects excellent wines and is very modest with his prices. Cheers!

I must say however, that I need to change my status to an "egullible" member, not egullet. Someone mentioned earlier that you can ask for an unfinished bottle of wine in VA to be resealed and take it to go in a bag. I actually asked for that last night and felt VERY silly when I was told no (my own fault, not in any way shape or form did I feel silly because of the staff!). Oh well, if I weren't trusting, I would never have had the hanger steak!

Unless the laws have changed in the last 12 months or so, you are allowed in VA to take out/home unfinished wine from a restaurant -- I have done so several times at establishments in Alexandria (Echo Cafe) and Leesburg (Tuscarora Mill). I was told at one of these places (forget which one) that in order to comply with VA laws, the restaurant must depress the cork at least two-thirds back in the bottle and place it in a bag or container so that it's not visible.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

On the question of whether you can take an open bottle of wine with you from the restaurant, following is a quote from the Virginia ABC's website:

• Wine sold for on-premise

consumption may be taken

off-premises if it is still in the

original container and closed.

[3 VAC 5-40-30]

The waiter at Ray's was misinformed on this point.

On the question of whether you can take an open bottle of wine with you from the restaurant, following is a quote from the Virginia ABC's website:
• Wine sold for on-premise

consumption may be taken

off-premises if it is still in the

original container and closed.

[3 VAC 5-40-30]

The waiter at Ray's was misinformed on this point.

I'm going to Ray's (first time) this week. I'll find out what happens when we ask for the same thing - because I'm pretty sure that we will.

My folks have asked that bottles be bagged at Virginia restaurants and It has not been a problem....

Barry

Letting people take their unfinished bottle of wine home makes sense from a public policy standpoint. If the practice was prohibited, people would be loath to leave wine on the table and drink up before leaving the restaurant and thus have more alcohol in their blood when they got behind the wheel of their car.

Great point and this is the reason more French wines are being put in 1/2 bottles for sale in France. The blood alochol limit is even lower there than in Virginia and the fines higher.

Letting people take their unfinished bottle of wine home makes sense from a public policy standpoint.  If the practice was prohibited, people would be loath to leave wine on the table and drink up before leaving the restaurant and thus have more alcohol in their blood when they got behind the wheel of their car.

We had a wonderful meal last night at Ray's. I vaguely recognized Jarad when he walked up to us, but since he was atypically casually attired I had to embarrass myself and ask his name. Oh well. :rolleyes:

My ol' lady had the large NY Strip. I had the cowboy. This is approximately 80 pounds of deliciously prepared beef. The sides that come with go perfectly with the steaks. Indulge yourself and get a side order of mushrooms too!

In honor of Michael and Jarad, I offer a picture of myself that was taken this morning. I will continue to wear this throughout the weekend.

The only other carnivoristic orgy I've had that rivals last night was the time Brando killed a cow with his bare hands after we got all hopped up on Thai stick smoked from a monkey skull after a day of filming Apocolypse Now. :wacko:

Ray's rocks!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The only other carnivoristic orgy I've had that rivals last night was the time Brando killed a cow with his bare hands after we got all hopped up on Thai stick smoked from a monkey skull after a day of filming Apocolypse Now. :wacko:

Having nothing to add to the substance of the thread, I would just like it minuted that this is without doubt the single funniest thing I have ever read on eGullet.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

We had a wonderful meal last night at Ray's. I vaguely recognized Jarad when he walked up to us, but since he was atypically casually attired I had to embarrass myself and ask his name. Oh well. :rolleyes:

My ol' lady had the large NY Strip. I had the cowboy. This is approximately 80 pounds of deliciously prepared beef. The sides that come with go perfectly with the steaks. Indulge yourself and get a side order of mushrooms too!

In honor of Michael and Jarad, I offer a picture of myself that was taken this morning. I will continue to wear this throughout the weekend.

Ray's rocks!

Jarad without a full windsor? "The horror, the horror".

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES

I vaguely recognized Jarad when he walked up to us, but since he was atypically casually attired I had to embarrass myself and ask his name. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Jarad without a full windsor? "The horror, the horror".

He was in jeans and a sweater! :shock:

Forgot to mention, at the end of the meal we were each given the hot chocolate. Does that make me a bad person?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Forgot to mention, at the end of the meal we were each given the hot chocolate. Does that make me a bad person?

The bad people usually get cashews instead of hot chocolate.

Edited by morela (log)

We had a splendid time at Ray's last night -- missed the juggling act, but did have a fantab meal. We had an Eric Ross's Russian River Valley Pinot Noir from the Saralee Vineyard -- unfiltered and just as fine as ever. Yum. Between the three of us we had a hanger steak, with mushrooms on the side and bearnaise sauce; an absolutely gorgeous New York Black and Blue; and a "naked" hanger steak -- the better to savor the meat! We devoured several little trays of butter and cream, with some garlic and potatoes added in...not to belittle the steak, but this is one of the big reasons I start to drool when recommending Ray's :wink: We also had the green salad, the grape tomato salad, and the scallops to start, and the always yummy key lime pie for dessert, along with a serving of fresh and good strawberries and cream.

We rolled out into the snow feeling warm and happy...though my arm got tired carrying just the remainder of the meat home! I think we'll be sitting pretty, steakwise, for a while :biggrin:

ETA: Yes! Salty bread! Yes! Spicy cashews! YES! Superthick hot chocolate...yum-- put me so much in the mood that I broke out the Penzey's hot chocolate mix today. And Yes! We made it out in 90 minutes (phew!) :wink:

Edited by Walrus (log)

My first visit to Ray's was in October when my parents were visiting. I was talking to them last night and they mentioned they had a really good scallop dish at a restaurant. So I asked my father, "Were the scallops as good as Ray's?" "No," he replied, "not as good. Ray's was the best of everything."

We went last night. Perfect as always!

Let's see--we had the lobster bisque (heavenly), scallops and shrimp (still too spicy for me but I've learned to order a glass of cava and just enjoy.... :biggrin: ), caesar salad (not as sharp or dressing-y as I remember but still good).

We were pretty full by then but the 12 ounce strips still beckoned. I had mine with mushrooms and Mr. BLB had his "au poivre." Good but I think the hanger steak is our best choice and we'll be back to ordering that next time. (And for the record, Michael, I don't think once a month is being a regular!!! Wait 'til you see how much you see us in Silver Spring! :raz: )

How many ounces is the hanger, on average? I'm back in the Weight Watchers mode as of this morning and I'm wondering how many points that puppy's going to be.

We finished with the chocolate mousse (no sharing--we tried and failed last go round) and the heavenly hot chocolate.

(The Starbucks drinking chocolate is a fair substitute when the Ray's hot chocolate starts to haunt your dreams, BTW. Not perfect but respectable...)

We were in and out in under 90 minutes.

As always we drove home negotiating when we can make a return trip!

And l had a VERY nice lunch just now with the leftovers.

Jennifer, a very happy second-class customer....

I'm just hours away from my first time. I have visions of entering some new kind of gustatory manhood. I picture myself with bone in one hand, bottle in the other. Gnawing feverishly and slaking my thirst with happy grape juice like I've never done before. These dreams last longer than 90 minutes. I haven't even been there yet and already I have a problem!