• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

Who do I have to pay to get a reservation for a birthday dinner (MINE!!!) tomorrow night (and how much)? It's for me and six of my closest friends. I dropped numerous hints with the wife that you need to reserve well in advance. She's still trying, but it's not looking good. If we were just two, I would take my chances, but with seven, that's a tough sell.

Pray for us.

Oh my!!!!! After all the hype and the 3 week wait to get in, I have to say that Ray's lived up to expectations and surpassed them.

Highlights--a warm greeting from our waiter, Justin, who remembered us from Palena (is Frank becoming a launching pad for staff around the city????) and guided our ordering with an amazing sense of what the highlights of the menu were.

Terrific bread and wine by the glass (had to drive home...)

The scallops were great--a bit too spicy for me but cooked perfectly.

My husband reported that the steak was one of the best he ever had--the flat iron with mushrooms and bernaise on the side.

I had the hanger steak--cooked just right and beyond compare. Had a little diablo and blue cheese on the side for light dipping. (Good, although the bernaise may have been just a touch better.) I have a perfect little section left for tomorrow's breakfast -- if it survives the night!

Desserts--key lime pie and chocolate mousse--gracious end notes and just the right portion size.

I think the only downside was our table--we were wedged in to a two-top behind the little station the staff uses for water, etc. So hubby viewed that while I had a wonderful view of the staff dishing out the amazing spinach and mashed potatoes. We asked about another table but were told all the other two's were reserved and were going to be pushed together for larger groups. Please note that not ten minutes later a couple walked in and was seated at a two-top. Sigh... How early do I have to call to get a table that isn't quite so wedged into the kitchen????

But aside from the small disappointment, I can promise we will be back as soon as I can plan far enough in advance to get reservations... Is this becoming the Per Se of DC?

Jennifer

Dinner for nine last Saturday night. Everything was excellent, exceeding our expectations. Because it was a birthday dinner I'm guessing, spicy sauteed shrimp and scallops appeared unannounced at the table. All uninvited guests should be so delicious and have such a short stay on the plate.

We had a late reservation, so all of the butcher cuts (i.e., hanger or flatiron) were snapped up by those who went before us. Hopefully, we'll get some next time. With a group of nine, we sampled several of the cuts, including the ribeye, strip, entrecote, filet and cowboy. Everyone loved their steaks. I cowboyed up, and there were no survivors. My steak was HUGE and cooked a perfect medium rare with a flavorful crust. The sauteed onions, garlic and horseradish only added to the perfection. I did meet this challenge (focus... focus), but at the cost of not enjoying as much of the tasty garlic mashed potatos and creamed spinach that otherwise would have.

Quoth my friend: "That was the best steak I've ever had." (cowboy, by the way) And this is from a guy who lived in Chicago for 10 years, ate at the original Morton's at least once a week, and the Chop House, Gibson's and Gene and Georgetti's were on his short list of places to go when he wasn't at Morton's.

Michael was obviously busy, but took the time to speak to us and well as every other table there.

The wine list was spacious and well priced (recently expanded too, I came to learn). We enjoyed several bottles of a Franciscan cab, one of the number of wines that Ray's has that would complement their fine steaks.

For dessert, a couple of shared chocolate mousses and the last piece of key lime pie. At this point, one can only muster a taste of both. Both were excellent.

Service was great, too; there when you needed it, not there when you didn't.

What else can I say? Believe the hype.

Thanks Ray's, for making a great dinner happen. See you again real soon.

Edited by otello (log)

I am so jealous of your birthday feast.  I wanted to do the same for mine on December 4th, but they are booked.  Now I have to think of someplace else.

: (

But I have one question:  How in the hell did you have room for dessert?

I had a little of each. They were just sitting there after all. I had to try just a bit.

Edited by otello (log)

• 2 weeks later...

wow...

so does landrummmmm2000 do kid's parties as well? bar mitzvahs?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Hubby and I are making our return pilgramage (sp?) tomorrow night. Trying to decide if I should insist on taking the subway and really enjoying wine with dinner. Are there any half-bottles available? He isn't likely to drink more than a glass and even in full indulgence mode I'm not likely to be good for more than 2-3 myself.

Any guidance a veteran can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hubby and I are making our return pilgramage (sp?) tomorrow night.  Trying to decide if I should insist on taking the subway and really enjoying wine with dinner.  Are there any half-bottles available?  He isn't likely to drink more than a glass  and even in full indulgence mode I'm not likely to be good for more than 2-3 myself.

Any guidance a veteran can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jennifer

RELAX It's Virginia where you're allowed to take out what you can't finish. Just ask for the brown bag and you'll fit in on the late night Metro ride home.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Well we did our first outing at Ray's last evening and had a wonderful time. Ray's is really a classic in this area...loud, plain looking and great steaks. This is a place some folks will love and others will hate...I am firmly in the love category!

We had a sort wait to seat our gang of 8, but for the most part the group did a nice job of getting us seated quickly. The people watching is great fun with all kinds of folks... even a few uncles dining with their "neices"! The place is hoppin and folks running all over the place. Our server, Daffney" took great care of us as did Michael who checked in several times during our dinner. He is a crazy fella who at one point told a member of our group that he is a vegetarian and does not est steak!!

Food was great..Cowboy steak is a real wiiner as was the Black and Blue. Scallop's were great as was a plate of shrimp that Michael provided to start us off. Great sides of mashed and spinach. The ceasar was ok but not great.

Overall a great spot with personality and top notch food. Reid

Friday night was another wonderful dinner at Ray's.

Michael, Justin and our lovely waitress whose name I never caught, took great care of us and we had a fabu time. Had a lovely table near the front and it really does pay to go early in the evening before the din gets too loud.

I tried the cowboy --oh my! In addition to Friday dinner, it was my breakfast on Saturday morning and hubby's dinner on Saturday night.

He had the hanger steak with mushrooms--I think it was better this time than last time.

I started with the scallops -- a perfect spicy mix with the cava we started with.

Enjoyed one of the merlots with dinner and concluded with that mousse and key lime pie.

Perfection!

Once again as we were leaving, hubby asked when we could go again.

I'm now hitting redial every few minutes to see when we can get in next.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Plum gots back from anotha' delicious meal at Ray's. Dis time I went wit' mah

parents who be quite particulah' about deir porta's...

Da verdict -- bot' Mom an' Dad, dig dis: One o' da damn da best Caesah'

Salad's eva' an' certain-like da best porta's (down low, filet mignon an' N-Y

strip au poivre) anywhere around in da house an' pretty much anywhere else 4

dat matta'.

As usual da service wuz outstandin'!!!!

Michael, add deuce mo' regulars t' yo' dossia'!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Indeed.

I popped in about 9:30 last night and got seated. I'm glad I don't live closer than 30 miles, or I'd do it way, way, way too often.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have the scoop on Ray's (apparently new) policy of limiting seatings to 90 minutes?

A reservationist chez Ray recently made a big point of the time limit when we called to arrange a dinner for later this month.

When we questioned whether this would give us enough time for a pre-dinner drink, apps, cowboy-cut steak, coffee and dessert (not to mention mealtime conversation with friends) her reply was "90 minutes is enough time for us, it should be enough time for you."

Craig

The knife is mightier than the pen.

I don't think 90 minutes is a "policy" at Ray's. If they are squeezing you in they may tell you that they need the table back by a certain time because they have another party coming in. Also, in my experience, 90 minutes is plenty of time to consume all the things you mention and to have a snort of port to boot. They don't horse around, your app's will be delivered in short order and your steaks will come out shortly after they clear the apps. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

This seems especially true for larger tables as they have so few. They have let me know about this in the past and I had no problems with a relaxing meal.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I don't think 90 mikntues is a "policy" at Ray's.  If they are squeezing you in they may tell you that they need the table back by a certain time because they have another party coming in.  Also, in my experience, 90 minutes is plenty of time to consume all the things you mention and to have a snort of port to boot.  They don't horse around, your app's will be delivered in short order and your steaks will come out shortly after they clear the apps.  I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as Michael doesn't come over and greet the table and tell of his latest reveries, a table of four or more can be out in 72 minutes flat. :raz:

One thing people shouldn't do is deny or pretend not to acknowledge that they've been informed of the policy and then blurt out, "Oh No You Di'n't!" about 96 minutes in...

Edited by morela (log)

I don't think 90 mikntues is a "policy" at Ray's.  If they are squeezing you in they may tell you that they need the table back by a certain time because they have another party coming in.  Also, in my experience, 90 minutes is plenty of time to consume all the things you mention and to have a snort of port to boot.  They don't horse around, your app's will be delivered in short order and your steaks will come out shortly after they clear the apps.  I wouldn't worry about it.

::snort snort!::

Thanks for the reassurance--and for posing the culinary paradox that if they don't horse around, I'll have a big beef!

:wink:

The knife is mightier than the pen.

I've only had this happen once when Michael squeezed us in last minute on a busy night and asked that we give up the table within 90 minutes.....absolutely no problem there. If they ask you to do that they pace the meal so it's possible.