• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

I will be having my first RTS experience this Saturday evening, and I cannot wait! Is the hangar steak a regular item on the menu or is it a special?

I'm drooling just thinking about it....mmm.....steak..... :blink:

The hanger steak is a regular item on the menu. But don't overlook the flat iron steak, it is very good as well.

We have a reservation and will be dining here our first night in D.C. Pardon me if I ask questions already answered (I did peruse this thread)... Does the restaurant offer a lot of different cuts of steak? Any steak for 2 options? Other than hangar and flat iron what are some of your faves? Other than eggs what sides do you enjoy? Are there cocktails served here? We may arrive early, so are there any places in the vicinity to go to for a pre-dinner drink?

Thanks for any rec's and suggestions.

We have a reservation and will be dining here our first night in D.C.  Pardon me if I ask questions already answered (I did peruse this thread)...  Does the restaurant offer a lot of different cuts of steak?  Any steak for 2 options?  Other than hangar and flat iron what are some of your faves?  Other than eggs what sides do you enjoy? Are there cocktails served here?  We may arrive early, so are there any places in the vicinity to go to for a pre-dinner drink? 

Sides of garlic mashed potatoes and creamed spinach are served in skillets for the table and both were very good. I really liked the crab cake as an appetizer - a big, pancake sized whopper.

I really liked the New York strip, but my wife was a little underwhelmed with the filet. The do their steaks right here, so the tender nature of the filet was a little unnecessary.

Bill Russell

Does the restaurant offer a lot of different cuts of steak?  Any steak for 2 options?  Other than hangar and flat iron what are some of your faves?  Other than eggs what sides do you enjoy? Are there cocktails served here?  We may arrive early, so are there any places in the vicinity to go to for a pre-dinner drink? 

NY strip, a "cowboy" steak, filet, chateaubriand (for 2), entrecote (recommended by Michael if you ask for well done) are other cuts. The strip is served au poivre and/or with bleu cheese (Michael's version of black & blue). I think there are blackened and diablo versions of many of the cuts. You can also choose to have different sauces (never had them) and sauteed garlic.

No cocktails. You could go next door and sit at the bar.

Key lime pie is good.

We have a reservation and will be dining here our first night in D.C.  Pardon me if I ask questions already answered (I did peruse this thread)...  Does the restaurant offer a lot of different cuts of steak?  Any steak for 2 options?  Other than hangar and flat iron what are some of your faves?  Other than eggs what sides do you enjoy? Are there cocktails served here?  We may arrive early, so are there any places in the vicinity to go to for a pre-dinner drink? 

The "devilishly good eggs" were, as I understand it, a special creation for our eGullet event a few months ago. If you ask Chef Michael about them he will know where you heard about them, and you will be treated to the special eGullet second class service.

Look at the calamari for an appetizer as well. The flat iron steak is good too.

ABout the only steaks you will not find on the menu are T-bones and Porterhouses. The "cowboy" is a 28oz bone-in ribeye, and it's a monster.

Roger Troutman and I have a reservation tonight at 7. If you all are still there come over and say hi to us. (I would be the hot red-head, he would be the hot man with the goatee)

We are really excited to have our pay day dinner at Rays tonight. I have been dreaming of that calamari and those freaking eggs. And oh yeah, the STEAKS.

Full report tomorrow.

Jennifer

Roger Troutman and I have a reservation tonight at 7.  If you all are still there come over and say hi to us. (I would be the hot red-head, he would be the hot man with the goatee)

We are really excited to have our pay day dinner at Rays tonight.  I have been dreaming of that calamari and those freaking eggs.  And oh yeah, the STEAKS.

Full report tomorrow.

Don't hold your breath on the eggs. I don't think they are on the menu.

Stretch and I have a 6:00 reservation at Ray's this evening for a little pre-debate fortification.  The reservation is for 4 people.  if 2 other eGulleteers would like to join us, please pm me.

I had three people vying for the two seats at our table. I called and was able to raise the stakes to a table for 6. So, there is now another open seat. Anyone interested?

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I had the best steak of my life on Saturday night at RTS. The Flat Iron steak is f@ing brilliant! My wife had the hangar steak, which was just as good. At less than $20 each, which includes creamed spinach and mashed potatoes, it is one of the best deals in the area. The key lime pie was terrific as well. The only slight negative was that service was a bit absent-minded. Our wine did not come until well-after we got our appetizers, and it took a long time for our waiter to bring our check (probably about 15 minutes after he said he would bring it). He did put a full order of the spinach and potatoes in with my wife's leftovers, which was a nice touch. But those steaks! I want more! I need to get back there soon.....mmm.....steak.....

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

I went with 2 friends last night for their inaugural outing to Ray's. We started with a trio of salads -- ceasar, mozzarella and tomato, and mixed baby greens. I think we all heard the voices of our mothers telling us to eat more vegetables and felt the need to buffer against the coming steak. Sadly, one friend ordered the filet and I winced for Michael (I'd even regaled them with tales of the quality of the meat and the range of cuts). Another got the black and blue and I ordered the flat iron diablo style. Michael is right -- order this steak. Ask for a red that can stand up to it (sorry, I forgot what they recommended to us but it worked wonderfully). The spicy sweet sauce combined with the velvety tender texture of flat iron illustrates perfectly that good cooking is an art.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been over a week but it's finally time to report on my visit.

I took my parents for our inaugural visit to Ray's last Friday, the 8th.

We could not have been happier with the experience.

I had been hyping the place, so my father decided to read some reviews. Not only did he say Ray's lived up to his expectations, but it exceeded them. I was certainly surprised by this. In fact, after his first bite of the blackened scallops and then his steak, I saw a look on his face I'd never seen before. The look of "This is worth every penny."

As stated, we started out with the scallops. Heavenly. I'll only eat scallops at the highest caliber of places because they need to be uber tender for me to enjoy them. They certainly fit the bill here.

The steaks. I ordered the house special, the au poivre strip with bleu cheese and brandy mushroom cream sauce. This is a lot of meat. And, also the juiciest steak I've ever eaten. I nearly went into a coma due to the conflict between my mouth and my brain. The brain was saying "stop eating, you are full." The mouth was saying "I don't care, these flavors must continue."

The other two steaks at the table were filets. My mother ordered it because it was safe. My father, though is a meat eater from way back and knew what he was getting into. Mushrooms and bleu cheese on the side as well.

I guess it's par for the course that they'll throw in extra potatoes and spinach when you ask for a carryout container. I had another full meal out of it, and I'd swear my strip was even more tender the second time around.

Key lime pie for dessert. I need fruity and tart after a meal like this, so the pie fit the bill. Almost too tart, though.

And I'm not sure if this was due to Columbus Day weekend, but we left around 8 o'clock and the place still wasn't full. I was expecting it to be more crowded, but it just meant all the more attention could be focused on us.

I was tempted to do something diablo, but declined for two reasons. It was first time, so I wanted to do the house special. Also, I was concerned about the heat (spiciness) level. I don't go for spiciness at all. But the above posts mention a spicy sweet. Anyone care to describe it in more depth?

In any case, mom and pop are still talking about Ray's as the highlight of the weekend. They're creatures of habit, so I'm nearly certain most future visits will see a stop there. And I am now making all my local friends swear an oath to only visit Ray's when seeking out red meat.

The diablo was milder then I expected it to be. I was a little concerned that it would override the taste of the spinach and mashed potatos but it didn't. I was a nice tingle on your tongue without completely dulling your taste buds.

I ate at Ray's last Friday for my anniversary & it was sublime-it was drizzly, we took the metro, hoofed it up the hill, & didn't think we'd make it in time for our reservation-we got there, were greeted warmly & ordered our dinner -flatiron for me (no hanger steak, alas) & ribeye w/ diablo for my DH. Everything was just right-my steak was wonderful (I haven't eaten a steak in about 8 years, so I was primed for this), most people here have complained that it's noisy, but I like the fact that it's lively & noone is going to eavesdrop on your conversation, I'd rather eat in a place where noone is going to notice if you drop your fork, LOUDLY, it appears to be a place where the staff really cared about the diners, all the servers , it seemed, dropped by our table, asking if things were all right-I was very impressed by the service & of course, the food-perfect steak, spinach & potatoes-I went home on the metro, clutching my doggy bag (had it for breakfast the next morning, thanking my lucky stars)...Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had my maiden :rolleyes: meal at Ray's. Went there last Friday with my Republican posse -- red meat and red wine for all. (well, for all of us except for the coke-cola addicted Eagle Scout). Absolutely concur with the (nearly) unanimous sentiment expressed here that this is the best steak house around-- and that's coming from a 3rd generation Palm customer. In terms of quality of the meat -- and it really is all about the meat -- quality/friendliness of service, wine offerings and the overall pricing, I think Michael has set the gold standard. The only downer was the left-over NY strip I was taking home for breakfast on Saturday, and which I left in our car parked in Ballston where we stopped for our celebratory cigars, was being scarfed down by my wife by the time I got home.

Can't wait for the next visit.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I visited The Imperial of Arrogance last night with the usual suspects, and everything was just like it always is. Ray was as arrogant as he's ever been. And dinner was as consistent and delicious as I remember.

We must have looked particularly regal dressed in our fancy party gear in the front window.

I talked myself out of wearing sweat pants to Ray's and settled for some old cargo pants and a stained shirt.

One of my companions wore a roadblock orange tee-shirt that had a picture of Mr. T and his famous words, "I Pity The Fool". Yes, I did feel special last night.

Oh, and soup!

As the days get shorter and colder I will find myself in need of a regular shot of Ray's Irish Whisky, a hearty beef stew served piping hot...

I understand it's new, and I urge you to try it.

Just think Chunky - -Soup That Eats Like a Meal.

Just think Campbell's sans all the arrogance of a tin can.

Lots of substance; an honest and simple soup that truly satisfies.

Keep up the good work, Ray's.

Morela

One of my companions wore a roadblock orange tee-shirt  that had a picture of  Mr. T and his famous words, "I Pity The Fool". 

And I DO pity all the fools that have never experienced arrogance as it was displayed last night!!!!!

Muchos Gracias again Michael!!!!!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

On a whim Minister of Drink proposed a run to the liquor store last night. There was talk of television and hot toddies...

West Wing or Bada Bing.

But it was 8:59 and the liquor store closes at 9. 

Who had the power to help us?  AA?  God?  Some clown on a Segway?

No, our neighbor Michael Landrumm did.

After helping us secure the coveted bottle of whisky before the 9 p.m. deadline, he welcomed us into his house and insisted that we sample his "deconstructed" Shepherd's Pie. He even found us a free table and urged us to sit.

It was just like being at Grandma's (and I was clawing the brown bag all the same).

How to construct Ray's Shepherd Pie:

Take arrogant little white teacup of stew and pour over some pompous plate of potatoes. Mmmmm.

Repeat as needed.

And now I can better report on what's in the (arrogant) little teacup because it's easier to see when poured over fluffy white potatoes.

It's the Irish Whisky again (beef, barley, corn, peas, mushrooms, potatoes make up the hearty part).

Mmmm, and it was awesome.  We were hungry for some Irish something.

Edited by morela (log)