• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ray's the Steaks

cjsadler

My dad and I went here for father's day.

He got the 28 oz ribeye "cowboy cut"  It seemed more like 40 ounces.  It also came with grilled onions and garlic, as well as some horseradish sauce on the side.  I tried it and it was delicious, a perfectly cooked medium rare.  The outside was crunchy and the inside was juicy and delicious.  It's better than any steak I have tasted from some of those fancy shmancy steak joints around town.

My steak was their ny strip and it was just as good. 

We also got extra mashed potatoes (which were great, but nothing special) and creamed spinach to take home. 

I really like this place.

1. You're a great kid. Your Dad's lucky to have been so well taken care of.

I ended up treating my Dad to a tank of gas and a Wendy's chicken sandwich (I don't even know what it was)...but it's not my fault he wouldn't let me do anything else! Yet another treasury memory on the glorious Jersey Turnpike. :wacko:

2. There's noooo way in hell that "cowboy cut" is any less than 40 ounces. If that's 28 ounces, then I weigh 67 pounds. Be Heart Healthy:

Take the extra 12-15 ounces home and eat an apple if still hungry.

3. I love Ray's. Yes I do, yes I do.

4. I'm moving down the street from Ray's in a month or so...

Gym and Ray will be fighting each other.

Edited by morela (log)

I talked to Chef Michael the other evenging about doing an eGullet outing to Ray's the Steaks and he said that he has several very good wines in the $20-30 range. If we could 6-8 committed eGulleteers, and could give him a couple of days advance warning, we might even be able to get him to do something special for us (by special, I mean go out of his way to procure some special steaks for us).

I'm interested!

The denizens of this forum will be pleased to hear that as of this morning, I'm never drinking again and have decided to become a vegetarian... Until lunch time when I need to taste 236 different 1982 Bordeaux with Parker. Oh, and I forgot about dinner were I'll be dining in each of Jose Andres' restaurants twice before my flight out to the Laundry where I'll be hepling my boy Tommy K. test new pastry ideas. But first a double buffet at Cracker Barrel and the Golden Coral to set my day on track.

Edited to reflect the truth behind the man shrouded in mystery, hidden in a riddle thats wrapped in an enigma stuffed into a enchillada.

Once you go baller there's no going back. And remember rehab is for quitters.

Two words come to mind after last night's carnage.

conflagration, and gout.

I halfway expected to see a "Keep hands and feet away from moving parts" sign hanging above the table, as ten of us lustily shoveled barely cooked cow products into our maws, smashing it back with wine ordered seemingly ten at a time for a dime.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

My dad and I went here for father's day.

He got the 28 oz ribeye "cowboy cut"  It seemed more like 40 ounces.  It also came with grilled onions and garlic, as well as some horseradish sauce on the side.  I tried it and it was delicious, a perfectly cooked medium rare.  The outside was crunchy and the inside was juicy and delicious.  It's better than any steak I have tasted from some of those fancy shmancy steak joints around town.

My steak was their ny strip and it was just as good. 

We also got extra mashed potatoes (which were great, but nothing special) and creamed spinach to take home. 

I really like this place.

1. You're a great kid. Your Dad's lucky to have been so well taken care of.

I ended up treating my Dad to a tank of gas and a Wendy's chicken sandwich (I don't even know what it was)...but it's not my fault he wouldn't let me do anything else! Yet another treasury memory on the glorious Jersey Turnpike. :wacko:

2. There's noooo way in hell that "cowboy cut" is any less than 40 ounces. If that's 28 ounces, then I weigh 67 pounds. Be Heart Healthy:

Take the extra 12-15 ounces home and eat an apple if still hungry.

3. I love Ray's. Yes I do, yes I do.

4. I'm moving down the street from Ray's in a month or so...

Gym and Ray will be fighting each other.

i AM a good son!

but don't discount wendy's, their chili kicks ass when spiked with their spicy chili seasoning.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm an idiot. Implying that Ray's was anything less than a brilliant place, especially having not yet gone there, well, it was simply thoughtless-- even if it wasn't meant that way.

I indulged this evening in a rib eye with horseradish cream. Juicy as hell, cooked perfectly to med-rare temp, I devoured as much as I could (I have a bit here at home with me for lunch manana).

I don't see this as a bare bones joint--the atmosphere didn't detract at all for me, but maybe it's because I'm used to the barer Philly BYO joints. The kitchen, well, I woulda eaten a steak off the floor, at Michael's feet, if I coulda.

The only shame is my limited window of opportunity to go again.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I love a happy ending.

Yeah we know, but Ray's I'm afraid is not a rub and tug.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

I love a happy ending.

Those are some pretty fatty (marbled folks) steaks...

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

:-/

Why did they forget the 'S' on her tank top? No one has ever purposefully linked this cookie, I am certian of that.

It is nearly 2 in the afternoon, the day after my Ray's feast. I woke up about 2 hours ago and I am not sure that I am going to be much good to anyone today. I am still stuffed from my Ray's the Steaks tasting menu that I was lucky enough to have with my boyfriend last night (Roger Troutman). Lemme tell you a bit about what I consumed.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a DC snob. I try to never leave the District. Ever. Go to Veerginny?? Please. There is no reason to in my mind because there are perfectly good places to go in the District. I now will say to you all: I have found a reason to go to the Great State of VA. Steak and Devishly Good Eggs.

Chef Michael had called me earlier in the day to double check that we were going to honor our reservation at 9:00pm. I said yes of course when he called and then he asked me, "are you WoodleyGrrl?" Obviously he reads all our comments here.

We started with a glass of the Pinot Noir. It was ok. I really wanted to try a bottle of something else but I was driving so I knew that if I ordered a bottle of something you would would have found me a couple of hours later driving down 66 in the wrong direction, with Metallica playing at full blast on my radio, and me with a couple of smokes hanging from my lips. Anyhow, the wine was good.

We had decided before we left that we were only going to have entrees because we are watching what we are eating (atkins diet. please give me some pasta and a jumbo slice, STAT) so I had decided to get a filet done really really really rare and my boyfried decided on the Ribeye Diablo done medium rare.

There was a tasty bowl of spicy cashews on the table to start with. Highly addictive and I think that my boy and I were fighting for the last crumbs. We were then enjoying our wine when Chef Michael came by and introduced himself. He told us to pick our steak and then disappeared into the kitchen.

Out came a plate of Devishly Good Eggs. WHAT THE HELL IS IN THE EGGS? I know Chef Michael has described in detail how he creates these things in the other tread, but I think he must have failed to mention that once you have one of these you may not want to have the steak. Because they are so fucking good that you could have them in place of the entree. The spicy spicy relish that comes with them is a great contrast to the velvety eggs.

After the eggs, out came a cup of the onion soup. Now here is the thing: I know french onion soup. It is only one of my favorite foods in the whole world. The soup that Michael served us was nothing less than fantastic. It was meatly, with some great cheese, and the onions where sweet and tangy. There was a crouton floating on the top that I think was made out of the same bread that comes out at the beginning of the meal. It was this great rosemary bread that was a great contrast to the salty/spicy soup.

Then when we were considering laying down on the floor in a fetal position and having the steak brought down to us only after the wait staff had cut our food into little pieces just like ma used to do, out came a piece of grilled calamari served with some lemon and onions. The squid was fresh, tender and perfectly opaque.

After that was cleared, the waiter came back and said next are the steaks, I promise. We were so happy to hear that I think I cried a little.

The steaks were perfect. Sadly, I could not finish all of mine but my boy was able to hammer through all of his. He declared it, "the best steak I ever had." His cut was the clear winner of the two with the smoky pepper, roasted garlic, and ALL THAT MEAT.

All in all it was a perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. So I will end it fellow posters by saying this: Fuck all those fussy steak joints in the District. Get yo ass to VA and have some real meat. You will be glad you did.

Edited by WoodleyGrrl (log)
Jennifer

Out came a plate of Devishly Good Eggs.  WHAT THE HELL IS IN THE EGGS? I know Chef Michael has described in detail how he creates these things in the other tread, but I think he must have failed to mention that once you have one of these you may not want to have the steak.  Because they are so fucking good that you could have them in place of the entree.  The spicy spicy relish that comes with them is a great contrast to the velvety eggs. 

After that was cleared, the waiter came back and said next are the steaks, I promise.  We were so happy to hear that I think I cried a little.

Sadly, I could not finish all of mine but my boy was able to hammer through all of his.  He declared it, "the best steak I ever had."  His cut was the clear winner of the two with the smoky pepper, roasted garlic, and ALL THAT MEAT.

All in all it was a perfect way to celebrate a special occasion.  So I will end it fellow posters by saying this:  Fuck all those fussy steak joints in the District.  Get yo ass to VA and have some real meat.  You will be glad you did.

How did this dream come about? Those eggs, I did not imagine...

Thanks for still using the word FUCK and for having the humanity to take the leftovers home. :biggrin::biggrin:

Actually, I enjoyed this read. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

"Fuck all those fussy steak joints in the District. Get yo ass to VA and have some real meat. You will be glad you did. " God damn eht (cartman voice)!

I concur with WoodleyGrrl. It was certainly one of the finest dining experiences I have enjoyed in the area, and I can't wait to get back there :smile:

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

It is nearly 2 in the afternoon, the day after my Ray's feast. I woke up about 2 hours ago and I am not sure that I am going to be much good to anyone today. I am still stuffed from my Ray's the Steaks tasting menu that I was lucky enough to have with my boyfriend last night (Roger Troutman). Lemme tell you a bit about what I consumed.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a DC snob. I try to never leave the District. Ever. Go to Veerginny?? Please. There is no reason to in my mind because there are perfectly good places to go in the District. I now will say to you all: I have found a reason to go to the Great State of VA. Steak and Devishly Good Eggs.

Chef Michael had called me earlier in the day to double check that we were going to honor our reservation at 9:00pm. I said yes of course when he called and then he asked me, "are you WoodleyGrrl?" Obviously he reads all our comments here.

We started with a glass of the Pinot Noir. It was ok. I really wanted to try a bottle of something else but I was driving so I knew that if I ordered a bottle of something you would would have found me a couple of hours later driving down 66 in the wrong direction, with Metallica playing at full blast on my radio, and me with a couple of smokes hanging from my lips. Anyhow, the wine was good.

We had decided before we left that we were only going to have entrees because we are watching what we are eating (atkins diet. please give me some pasta and a jumbo slice, STAT) so I had decided to get a filet done really really really rare and my boyfried decided on the Ribeye Diablo done medium rare.

There was a tasty bowl of spicy cashews on the table to start with. Highly addictive and I think that my boy and I were fighting for the last crumbs. We were then enjoying our wine when Chef Michael came by and introduced himself. He told us to pick our steak and then disappeared into the kitchen.

Out came a plate of Devishly Good Eggs. WHAT THE HELL IS IN THE EGGS? I know Chef Michael has described in detail how he creates these things in the other tread, but I think he must have failed to mention that once you have one of these you may not want to have the steak. Because they are so fucking good that you could have them in place of the entree. The spicy spicy relish that comes with them is a great contrast to the velvety eggs.

After the eggs, out came a cup of the onion soup. Now here is the thing: I know french onion soup. It is only one of my favorite foods in the whole world. The soup that Michael served us was nothing less than fantastic. It was meatly, with some great cheese, and the onions where sweet and tangy. There was a crouton floating on the top that I think was made out of the same bread that comes out at the beginning of the meal. It was this great rosemary bread that was a great contrast to the salty/spicy soup.

Then when we were considering laying down on the floor in a fetal position and having the steak brought down to us only after the wait staff had cut our food into little pieces just like ma used to do, out came a piece of grilled calamari served with some lemon and onions. The squid was fresh, tender and perfectly opaque.

After that was cleared, the waiter came back and said next are the steaks, I promise. We were so happy to hear that I think I cried a little.

The steaks were perfect. Sadly, I could not finish all of mine but my boy was able to hammer through all of his. He declared it, "the best steak I ever had." His cut was the clear winner of the two with the smoky pepper, roasted garlic, and ALL THAT MEAT.

All in all it was a perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. So I will end it fellow posters by saying this: Fuck all those fussy steak joints in the District. Get yo ass to VA and have some real meat. You will be glad you did.

i can't figure out if this is a joke, or if it really hapenned.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

. . . .

. . . .

Out came a plate of Devishly Good Eggs.

. . . .

After the eggs, out came a cup of the onion soup.

. . . .

Then when we were considering laying down on the floor in a fetal position and having the steak brought down to us only after the wait staff had cut our food into little pieces just like ma used to do, out came a piece of grilled calamari served with some lemon and onions.

. . . .

WoodleyGrrl, do I understand correctly that you did not order the eggs, onion soup, and squid, and that these three items were comped? Do you think the comps had to do with your having been recognized as someone on eGullet who would probably post a review?

Ray's is SERIOUS.

Now when's the group thing?

Yea, when is this going to be?!

I plan to try and have dinner in there this Saturday evening. I will ask Chef Michael if there is a day next week that would work for him. How does that work for you all?

PS: It is the "Commonwealth of Virginia," not the "State of Virginia."

What makes you think its a joke? I found it perfectly believable. I guess you have to experience Ray's the Steaks in order to fully understand.

i've been there.

i thought that it was a joke because of the eggs. i thought chef michael wrote that post about eggs in jest, and i still think that. so why would he serve it to woodley girl? also how did he know you were from egullet? did you reserve with your egullet name?

btw, i'm pretty stupid.