• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks in Chinatown

KHT20

Does anyone know if anyone else serves any real ales in the DC area?

Here's a list we assembled on another site. Thinking mostly of Cask conditioned (or at least tank conditioned) hand pumped ales.

District of Columbia

Brickskeller

1523 22nd Street NW

Washington, DC 20037

(202)293-1885

Has cask beer on weekends. I think just one, usually British.

District Chophouse

509 7th Street NW

Washington, DC 20004

(202)347-3434

Though they have two pumps, they have only been doing the Bourbon Stout for sometime now. Handpump (not cellared)

John Harvard

1299 Pennsylvania Avene NW

Washington, DC 20004

(202)783-2739

They have one pump, which is not always on (to the best of my knowledge). Some varaition of whatever they're brewing. Handpump (not cellared).

RFD

810 7th Street NW

Washington, DC 20001

(202)289-2030

Usually has one (sometimes two) cask, usually British. Gravity dispense.

The Reef

2446 18th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

(202)518-3800

Starting their weekly cask session again on Thursdays this time around. They usually do two British and two domestics over the course of the month (one a week). Gravity dispense.

Maryland

Brewer's Art

1106 North Charles Street

Baltimore, MD (410)547-6925

Report pending.

Franklin's

5123 Baltimore Avenue

Hyattsville, MD 20781

(301)927-2740

Firkin Firday's at Franklin's. One firkin that is a variation of one fot the standard served brews, usually dry hopped with an different variety of hops than was in the boil. Gravity dispense.

Mahaffy's

Report pending.

Max's on Broadway

737 South Broadway

Baltimore, MD 21231

(410)675-6297

Report pending.

Rock Bottom (Bethesda)

7900 Norfolk Avenue

Bethesda, MD 20814

(301)652-1311

One (sometimes two) casks on. Selection vary widely but is usually one of the regular beers made for cask. Judging by the pump clips behind the bar they must do quite a few specialties real ale style throughout the year. Handpump (I don't think it's cellared).

Sean Bolan's

1236 Light Street

Baltimore, MD 21230

(410)837-4440

Report Pending.

Wharf Rat at Camden Yards

206 West Pratt Street

Baltimore, MD 21201

(410)244-8900

Report pending.

Wharf Rat at Fells Point

801 South Ann Street

Baltimore, MD 21231

(410)276-9034

Report pending.

Virginia

Dominion Brewery

44633 Guilford Drive

Ashburn, VA 20147

(703)724-9100

Rock Bottom (Arlington)

4823 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22203

(703)516-7688

Also I'm wondering if your problem with the 3 casks was if they were there in preparation for a special event - they have the beer writer Michael Jackson coming next Wednesday and are assembling an awesome collection for his event.

I agree the service there is awful at times. The staff don't seem to know a lot about the real ales or other great beers and the majority of the customers don't really care. Having said that, anywhere that offers a 20 year old Goudenband is good in my book - had one there last week and it was delicious. :raz:

Edited by theakston (log)

Here's a list we assembled on another site. Thinking mostly of Cask conditioned (or at least tank conditioned) hand pumped ales.

Theakston? Theakston! With a name like Theakston I'm going to listen to any beer advice you have. I'm just back from my annual pilgrimage to Masham and the Dales and downed enough Theakstons, Black Sheep and Riggwelter to hopefully make it until next February/March. What's your tie to Yorkshire?

Great list you've left. I haven't tried Harvard's yet, but will have to. I'm also told Finn MacCools at Eastern Market is now serving Newcastle by pump. I'm going there this evening and will report back if it's worth it.

I won't go see Michael Jackson at RFD or Brickskeller. I won't actually pay to attend anything at either of those places because then I'm OBLIGATED to put up with their crap service. I am, however, going to see him discuss the single malts at National Geographic, which will hopefully match the fun of Great Beers of England and Ireland a few years ago.

Well, Finn MacCools was okay. On the positive side: Beamish on tap and Newcastle on the beer engine. The Newcastle was served cold and not "cellar temperature" but it didn't take too long to warm up when holding the pint glass. I'd love to find out more about how they keep it.

This was only the second time I've had a "major name" English beer served from the cask rather than the traditional bottle. The first time was Bass Ale and that was served to me in England. Night and day difference between the bottle and cask. (I don't think I need to mention which was better) but the cask Newcastle at FM was not tremendously different from what I'd find poured from a bottle. Less carbonated, clearly, but it tasted kinda dead. I'll have to inquire more about it when I'm there next.

Also on the plus side: the crowd. It was really a great mix of age, activity, ethnicity, etc. This place definitely is not one to be labeled "college bar" or "Hill crowd." The floor wait service was attentive and while they may not be perfect, they exceeded the expectations that I had for a group of young people working a crowded floor and doling out fish and chips. More so than the bartenders who really didn't seem pleased to be working or to have you in their bar.

On the negative side: aside from the bartenders attitudes, it's not a particularly attractive place. On the one hand, I'm glad they didn't smother it in false Irish kitsch, but it's just too plain. I wanted my eyes to be able to fix on something from time to time.

As for the food: The fish and chips were a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale. I'd have liked a smaller, but fatter fillet that had a crisper batter and juicier meat. But I get the feeling that fish and chips is one of those dishes that probably really makes a big difference depending on who's making it that particular day.

I'd go back though. But not until I've tried the Flying Scotsman first.

I'm just back from my annual pilgrimage to Masham and the Dales and downed enough Theakstons, Black Sheep and Riggwelter to hopefully make it until next February/March.  What's your tie to Yorkshire?

Ahhhhh Masham. The pints I've had in the White Bear....The Dales...the moors, the pubs, the border collies.

I'm from Yorkshire -- kinda sorta. Actually from Saddleworth which is just over t'border so it's in Yorkshire but is also part of the greater Manchester area as well. I also lived in Leeds for a few years before moving to the DC area.

Theakston was the name I gave to my border collie (he used to be my avatar too). He died last Summer but we have recently adopted another one. Called him Riggwelter of course!

But not until I've tried the Flying Scotsman first.

I went to the Flying Scotsman last Thursday after work. Despite the fact that My Brothers' Place next door was bristling with business, this delightful pub was near empty. Whadda those government bureaucrats know anyway???

The woman tending bar was very nice with a delightfully thick Scottish accent. The bar serves food, including some really yummy Scotch eggs that my friend had. Their fries were perfectly good as well. It has about 8 beers on tap, including a house amber which was very good, and a good selection of scotches.

233 2nd Street NW

Edited to include web site

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

The bar serves food, including some really yummy Scotch eggs that my friend had. Their fries were perfectly good as well. It has about 8 beers on tap, including a house amber which was very good, and a good selection of scotches.

233 2nd Street NW

Edited to include web site

Tell me more about Scotch eggs. Never heard of those. Can I eat them at night time?

Tell me more about Scotch eggs. Never heard of those. Can I eat them at night time?

Here ya go...

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/...ssf?DEF_ID=3751

I'm a big believer in eating anything at any time.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

"Scotch egg

A hard-cooked egg that is coated with sausage, dipped into beaten egg, rolled in bread crumbs and deep-fried. Scotch eggs are halved or quartered lengthwise and may be served hot or cold, usually as an appetizer."

Thanks, my friend. I could use one of these guys; sounds scrumptious!