• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

O’ Groats – LA – 1 of my finest breakfasts EVER

Sweet Willie

I was staying at an LAX hotel and really did not want the very mediocre food that even though free, is just sustenance, not a pleasure to eat. So I got in my car and drove. Took about 15 minutes but my search paid off. I spied John O’ Groats. What caught my eye are two things: #1 it was packed, #2 it mentioned seafood on the sign and I’m a sucker for seafood in my breakfast.

Being a lone diner I was happy to see a large 12-14 seat u-shaped counter area to sit at.

Menu was promising with one item that uses biscuit dough for a base to put some yummy items on top of being listed in the menu as “one of the top 100 things to eat in LA” . That was going to be my choice when the waitress passed me the specials list.

What immediately drew my attention:

CHEF GUILLERMO’S “CREOLE SYTLE EGGS”

(featured in “In Touch Weekly Magazine”, this new addition combines poached eggs, Swiss cheese, and a fresh lamb patty on sour dough toast topped with our Creole Sauce. This sauce’s main ingredients are buttermilk, diced ham, green onions, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.)

I’ll cut to the chase. One of the best breakfasts I’ve had, EASY!

There were other items that caught my attention such as pumpkin spiced pancakes but I’m am SO GLAD I chose the above.

I do hope to go back and try that “top 100 thing to eat in LA” item. Sorry I can’t remember more detail on the item.

John O’ Groats

10516 Pico Blvd

Los Angeles, CA

Monday-Sat 7am-2pm

Wed-Sat 6pm-8:30pm

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Anybody know anything about a place called Bread & Porridge on Wilshire Boulevard around the city line between LA and Santa Monica? I was driving by at around noon today and noticed a large crowd gathered out front. Sort or reminded me of the crowd I often see hanging out at O'Groats.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I happened to be nearby with time to kill, so I stopped by O'Groats yesterday (Sunday) and had the aforementioned Creole Eggs. They were actually out of the lamb patties, but the pork sausage was a fine substitute. Very enjoyable. I got seated right away - people were waiting about 40 minutes for tables. I think it's possible to call ahead.

JF, I've only been to B&P once, for lunch. I enjoyed it a lot. FWIW, the menu reminds me of Quality Food on 3rd (semi-retro California cafe-ish), but the room is brighter and the vibe is more cheery.