• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine merchants in Vegas

"T"

I will be in Las Vegas at the end of the month and was wondering if e-gulleters have wine shop recs in Vegas.

Wine bars?

Thanks,

"T"

slowfood/slowwine

Both a merchant and a wine bar is The Wine Cellar in the Rio hotel. The retail prices will be quite steep. BUT... what you should definitely taste and perhaps walk away with are some of the 1971 German wines they have in stock. 1971 was a fantastic vintage and the wines are still full of life. The bottles will only set you back $30-$40 dollars, and you will get to try something very few people experience.

When I was there 1.5 years ago, I had a pour ($14) of the 1971 S.A. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese that was sublime. Had to get a bottle to take home.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero