• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herr's Guacamole Dip

Just wanted to share a product I recently picked up at the soopermarket. It had a very convincing shade of green within the jar, and an honest to goodness picture of an avacado under the words "Guacamole Dip" on the label. It was only after attempting to eat some that I examined the label, and saw:

Ingredients:Skim milk, corn oil, modified food starch, tomato paste, salt, less than 2% of: high fructose corn syrup, dehydrated onion, cellulose gum, gelatin, guar gum, artificial flavor, dried red bell pepper, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural flavor, yellow 5, blue 1, cream cheese [pazteurized, cultured milk and cream, stabilizers (xanthan and/or carob bean and/or guar gums)], glocono delta lactone, cellulose gel, vinegar, lactic acid, sodium phosphate, citric acid, hydrolyzed soy protein, color, garlic powder, malt extract, maltodextrin, mono and diglycerides, avocado powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, sugar, soy sauce solids, fermented wheat, tamarind, lime juice, caramel color.

WHEW.

Now I have a number of questions.

1. WTF is glocono delta lactone?!!!?!

2. COLOR? I ATE COLOR??? :shock:

3. Why did they bother to put in 0.01% of sugar when they already have 1.95% high fructose corn syrup?

4. Once they list "artificial flavor" and then "natural flavor", couldn't they just skip the rest of the ingredients?

Anyway, googling on Herr's Guacamole Dip results in a number of amusing hits, including Little avocado in some guacomole dips: consumer group and Food Packaging Often More Hype Than Truth, Consumer Groups Charge.

Thought y'all might enjoy.

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Natural flavors, in case you're wondering, often refers to a plant extract called balsam of peru, among other things. I believe it's some kind of base/flavor enhancer. I only know because my dad is allergic.

I did find one pretty good premade, grocery guac at Harris Teeter here in North Carolina. I can't remember the brand name, but the ingredients were actually just avocados, onion, garlic, lemon juice and maybe a preservative, but not much as it doesn't last in the refrigerator much longer than the real thing. It was in the pre-packaged salad/dressing refrigerated area. It was completely smooth and the packaging was black with two pouches of guac. This was completely smooth, and I like mine with some chunks in it usually, but for store-bought it was really good.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Daryl Thomas, a Herr's spokesman, noted that there is no "official" definition of guacamole and said the company produces a dip "consistent with what people would expect of guacamole."

I think he maybe forgot to finish the rest of the sentence - consistent with what people would expect if they desired to eat a product consisting of solely of oils, thickeners, chemicals, additives, and powder derivatives of the fruit commonly known to be the principle ingredient of guacamole.

Edited to add Herr's official web page on "nutrition".

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

My most recent GF's (in a long line of distinguished and lovely GF's) swore by the Guacamole mix powder they sell in the produce department. You mash two guacamole's, add a diced tomato or two, and mix in this powder. I have to admit that although just making it from scratch is a bit better, this package stuff is pretty darn good. Key factor, I suppose, is the fact that it actually relies on real avocado.

On a related but different note: Whole Foods makes gucamole which is quite good. I noticed recently that they now have something called "low-fat guacamole," and I was wondering about it because I've never heard of a low-fat avocado. It looks the same as their regular guacamole. So I read the ingredients (a regular Sherlock I am), and the secret low-fat ingredient here is: peas! So, it's not chemical stuff like the Herr's Guacamole, but it's not avocado, either. I can't imagine what it might taste like, even though it's the right color. So: is this "really" guacamole?

I have found a frozen Guacamole at Costco that is actually really good. It's called Avo King (4 in a pack). I add lemon or lime juice, cut up tomato and some hot sacue or chile to jazz it. I brought it to a party Saturday because I had no time to make anything else and someone asked me to do a Giant bowl for another party. Thank goodness for Costco.

I am sorry, but I MUST say in a completely respectful way for other's tastes, that real fresh guac is food of the gods and anything less just plain doesn't cut it. And it could not be easier. If you can make a tossed salad, you can make guac.

4 Haas avocados, nicely ripe but not overly so scooped out into a bowl with 1/2 a lemon's (or lime's) worth of juice, add in 2 or 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 diced smallish red or white onion, 2 large chopped and seeded tomatoes. A splash of tequila and some minced cilantro if you so desire. 1 tsp of coarse salt, a couple of grinds of pepper and your favorite hot sauce to taste. Chop it up in the bowl with two sharp knives to your desired consistency, I like mine kind of chunky.

Eat immediately. Once it is more than an hour old, forget it.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Hm.

I don't want to eat or serve guacamole that isn't the best that it can be.

Consequently, I don't eat or serve it that often. But enjoy it tremendously when I do.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I suspect guacamole made in northern climates may need more doctoring than those made in Mexico or southern California. We recently returned from a trip to Puerto Rico and the only food that made a real impression, and it did so consistently from dive to elegant restaurant, was avocado salad. The problem with avocados in New York is that even when they're not hard, they never have the taste they have where they're grown.

Glocono delta lactone, along with other sequestrants, probably travels very well. :laugh: We may laugh now, but I avoided antioxidents until I learned they were good for me.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Sometimes the avocadoes are hard as a rock and I want my guacamole NOW. (We don't all live in California, y'know.) :smile:

TJ's to the rescue again--frozen Hass avocadoes in halves or slices. Just take a few out of the freezer when you start dinner and they will be ready to go in 30 minutes. One of my favorite new discoveries. They taste great and have a nice texture--barely distinguishable from fresh.

Of course, not everyone has a Trader Joe's nearby either.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Of course, not everyone has a Trader Joe's nearby either.

Damn straight. :sad::sad::sad:

But I've found that if I let them get juuuuuuuuuuuust ripe, and keep them in the bottom bin in the fridge, they hold all right for as much as 2 weeks.

And the guac I made tonight also had (please don't shoot me :unsure: ):

• lime juice
  • minced scallion
  • minced garlic
  • finely diced roasted red pepper
  • chopped pickled jalapenos
  • chopped cilantro
  • chopped recao
  • minced Kalamata olives
  • S & P & smoked paprika

The olives were a mistake: way too assertive.

...avocado powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, sugar, soy sauce solids, fermented wheat, tamarind, lime juice, caramel color...

i have to be a traditionalist here: plus, i don't even *know* what they do to an avocado to make it 'powder'. :smile:

guacamole, IMHO, is:

ripe avocadoes, lemon juice, minced shallots/onions/green onions/tomatoes (any mix of the above), chili flakes, coriander leaf and/or seed, Tabasco (green or red), and from here it's open to personal prefs... an ounce of silver tequila, chipotle peppers, toasted corn tortilla crumbs...

i have never tasted that brand (Herr's) dip, so maybe it's really good. but the ingredients list you provided was a little, uh, overwhelming.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I have found a frozen Guacamole at Costco that is actually really good. It's called Avo King (4 in a pack). I add lemon or lime juice, cut up tomato and some hot sacue or chile to jazz it. I brought it to a party Saturday because I had no time to make anything else and someone asked me to do a Giant bowl for another party. Thank goodness for Costco.

So, by the time you do all of this adulteration, how much more work is it to make the real thing with pronouncable ingredients?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Just wanted to share a product I recently picked up at the soopermarket. It had a very convincing shade of green within the jar, and an honest to goodness picture of an avacado under the words "Guacamole Dip" on the label.....

yes, but what did it TASTE like??

Sometimes the avocadoes are hard as a rock and I want my guacamole NOW. (We don't all live in California, y'know.) :smile:

My Shaw's has a section for "ripe avocados" and they are indeed ripe. I bought two yesterday and then read this thread, and immediately made my guacamole in about a minute (and ate it almost as fast). I am a minimalist--salt and lime juice. I could even eat it without chips :blink: Sometimes I put tomatoes in it, when they're good.

Just wanted to share a product I recently picked up at the soopermarket.  It had a very convincing shade of green within the jar, and an honest to goodness picture of an avacado under the words "Guacamole Dip" on the label.....

yes, but what did it TASTE like??

It tasted just like you would expect. :laugh: I'm considering using it to regrout the bathroom.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

QUOTE (chow guy @ Mar 9 2004, 10:45 AM)

So, by the time you do all of this adulteration, how much more work is it to make the real thing with pronouncable ingredients?

--------------------

About one and a half minutes from slice of citrus and plumb tomato to splash of Blind Betty hot sauce. The real question is how long does it take for the rock hard avacaods to ripen or how much of the overripe ones do I throw away?