• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dumplings

Dumplings are easily one of my favorite foods which begs the question:

Who has the best dumplings in DC?

My favorite dumplings are meat-filled. Occasionally I'll give in and eat one filled with veggies. Forget shrimp. It's just not for me, but I know others like them.

For home delivery, I like beef gyoza from Hibachi Brothers and but dislike the pork ones from Chen's (and half the time they aren't available anyway).

City Lights' dumplings are just ok.

In restaurants, I crave Ten Penh's crab and pork version.

Sushi AOI does ok dumplings with spicy dipping sauce, but I think they're over priced for what you get in a lunch portion.

Share your favorites with me - help this dumpling lover get her fix!

You need to leave The City and head for China Star in Fairfax City. Their spicy & sour baby wontons are unbelievable. If you don't want spicy, they come with "chicken flavor" (actually supposed to be chicken/broth) and another kind I can't remember. :blink: All around really good, really authentic Szechuan food. but I can't bring myself to try the beef tripe with pig's blood.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I haven't sampled many of the DC dumplings, far better to just make them at home! :smile: I think it begs the question, why don't you try to make a homemade variety?

Clearly you missed my blog that discussed - at length - my shortcomings in the kitchen. :sad:

Welcome chengb02.

We're slowly teaching jenny how to cook and we haven't got to dumpling yet. (i'm going to need help too on that one!) In the mean time,

Head out to Mark's Duck House in Arlington. Get the Peking Duck. The dumpling aren't too shabby either :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

we haven't got to dumpling yet. (i'm going to need help too on that one!) In the mean time,

Head out to Mark's Duck House in Arlington.

hmm...Mark's Duck House is alright, on weekends in DC I'll go there for dim sum when I can, but I haven't tried the regular dumplings (which is what I guess this post is referring to). Because I make dumplings all the time (either from scratch or cheating using the frozen variety), I don't often order them in restaurants. I also haven't found any Chinese food in the DC area that I really enjoy (this includes Mark's and Tony Cheng's)....oh well, guess I need to do more exploring!

As for making dumplings, here is a very good thread from the Chinese cooking section.

i wish there were a good place for shanghai soup dumplings - like Joe's Shanghai in NYC. they're supposed to be tied so that the meat's juices stay inside the wrapper so that when you bite into them the juices come bursting out, usually need a soup spoon to most enjoy them.

i've tried them at Oriental Regency in Tysons, and Hunan Palace, A&J, and Chopstix in Rockville, and been disappointed. at most of these, the dumpling skin has broken leaking out all the yummy juices.....

I haven't sampled many of the DC dumplings, far better to just make them at home!  :smile: I think it begs the question, why don't you try to make a homemade variety?

Sometimes, when you are making 'pot stickers', try this idea from Hugh Carpenter's "Pacific Flavors.

Rather than just add water or chicken broth to the pan to allow the browned dumplings to braise, he suggests a combination of 1/2 cup chicken stock, some oyster sauce (2 tsp), a tsp of hoisin, some sherry - a couple Tbsp., chili sauce to taste, a bit of sugar, and some grated orange peel -- a couple of tsp.

I have adapted it to use the 1/2 cup (or a little more) of the broth, 1 Tbsp each of the Hoisin and oyster sauces, 2 T. of sherry, skip the sugar and I use the dried orange peel you get in the spice jars. Chili sometimes, sometimes not.

You have to be careful that the dumplings don't burn, from the sugar in the hoisin, when the broth has cooked off.

The result is a dumpling that has absorbed those flavors. You don't need a dip. They are wonderful!!

I usually use the ready made wrappers. (lazy)

Chinatown Express has dumplings handmade by the noodle guy in the window. I like their soup dumplings (called pork buns on the menu, I think). They also have some nice condiments on the table. And the shrimp dumplings in soup at Full Kee are really good. They are also reputed to have good wontons.

I third the Full Kee motion.

Since the reopening? i had heard that it had gone downhill a little.

I was there a couple days after it opened and then again once more since then. All I had was pork noodle soup and choi sum but they were damn tasty as always. Don't let the somewhat brighter and less dirty atmosphere scare you away!

I was there a couple days after it opened and then again once more since then. All I had was pork noodle soup and choi sum but they were damn tasty as always. Don't let the somewhat brighter and less dirty atmosphere scare you away!

Please. It takes a lot more than a little light to scare me away :wink:

My friend had the shrimp dumpling noodle soup (Hong Kong style?) and said it wasn't as good as it used to be.

I haven't made it down there yet though.

I have been to Full Kee three times since it reopened. The last time, just a few days ago with a couple of chowhounds.

It hasn't gone downhill at all. The oyster casserole is as good as ever. The pork was better. Leek flowers, check. Clams with black bean sauce, good in moderation. The shrimp dumplings were exactly the same as before (really, really good), but the broth was lighter and it had a little black (or white?)pepper that wasn't there before. I still liked it. And, if you get the noodles in the soup, they are still perfectly cooked. Perhaps the broth will "deepen" as time passes (I don't want to think about this too much, but having worked in restaurants, I remember that often a bit of yesterday's broth ends up in today's broth, and thus flavor accumulates).

This last time, we tried some dishes I hadn't had before like a tofu dish stuffed with shrimp paste and eggplant casserole. Both very good.

The new menu has some different stuff on it and needs to be delved into systematically.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to Full Key tonight. My friend was wrong. The Hong Kong soup was as good as it used to be, possibly better. Are the dumplings bigger than they used to be, or has it just been that long since I last had them?

We also had sizzling oysters with ginger and garlic and pea leaves. I highly recommend both, although the pea leaves could have used more garlic.